Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
    Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by conchy_joe View Post
    Where to start ?. I phoned Argos and explained the situation, they took the details and said that I would have to take the hard drive to a third party to have it inspected, they would not accept just Knowhow's finding alone, that I would have to find a VAT registered company..."one that had no financial interest in the matter" ??. and see what they decided. I tried three computer repair shops but each said that as they do not have the volume of business they would have to alter their price structure. One suggested that I contact Trading Standards, which I did. I spoke to a woman with a very loud dictatorial voice who during the rather one sided conversation said at least a half dozen times that I should have gone to the trader first. I tried explaining that as the laptop was out of guarantee I did not think I would have any joy with them, I also asked her why such a large company as PC World would have anything to gain by giving a false finding, but she kept banging on about going to the trader first and asked me if I had the number for the Financial Ombudsmanicon.
    I also asked Argos why they would not accept Knowhow's finding and that going to another company to have it re-examined would only serve to push up the final cost, but he repeated that it needed to be examined by a "neutral" company. I dearly wished that I could have reached down the phone line and grabbed that loud woman, It was like listening to a party political broadcast. Does anybody know what my next step should be.
    I did warn you of this possibility.

I think you should now send to Argos head office a letter before actionicon advising that you will issue a court claim, if they do refund you the cost of the replacement hard drive and cost of the report from Knowhow within 21 days. Enclose a copy of the Knowhow report and receipt for the hard drive.

Within the letter refer to the conversation with Argos customer servicesicon where they asked for another report from an independent source and advise that the majority of such independent assessment providers also sell and install new hard drives. Point out to them, that they are inadvertently calling into question the integrity of Knowhow and that this shows a lack of professional etiquette by Argos staff.

I think Argos will decide to just pay you and not fight this is court. But if they don't pay you, you will have to follow through and issue the court claim.

Basic Account Holder conchy_joe Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2006

I've already had laptop repaired by Knowhow (PC World).

They have replaced the faulty hard drive which I have in my possession (boldly marked "faulty part").

Argos say that I must go to another IT shop and have the faulty hard drive tested again just to verify that the repair was genuine.

As if I'm in a conspiracy with PC World...they really need my 187 !!.

I will write to Argos tomorrow.

Do you think that an email to Sebastian James relating to Argos' "inadvertent" reference to PC Worlds integrity might also help.

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Default Re: Argos laptop.

I've already had laptop repaired by Knowhow (PC World). They have replaced the faulty hard drive which I have in my possession (boldly marked "faulty part"). Argos say that I must go to another IT shop and have the faulty hard drive tested again just to verify that the repair was genuine. As if I'm in a conspiracy with PC World...they really need my 187 !!.
    Yep, we know that. Send the letter as suggested.

There are independent electrical assessment places which Insurers use and you can probably send the hard drive to them. They have a testing rig, where they don't need the hard drive connected to your laptop. But the cost of you getting this done is not worth it. If it confirms the hard drive failed and cannot be repaired, all Argos will refund you is the cost of the hard drive replacement they would expect themselves and this new independent report.

I would send the letter to Argos and see how they respond. I can't see how Knowhow should be dismissedicon. Yes they are part of Currys, but i don't think they would falsely claim a hard drive was broken just to obtain a sale of a new hard drive. They would get found out, if there was another inspection.

Nb. As a thought, you could check local high streets for Computer repair shops, but if they sell hard drives, then it is no different to Knowhow, so what is the point in that.

I will write to Argos tomorrow. Do you think that an email to Sebastian James relating to Argos' "inadvertent" reference to PC Worlds integrity might also help.
    Knowhow probably would not be bothered.

Basic Account Holder conchy_joe Novitiate

Cagger since : Jul 2006

OK, I'll send the letter off tomorrow with relevant copies and get it recorded delivery. Thank you.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details