Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder conchy_joe Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jul 2006

Default Argos laptop.

Hi everyone,...back after a long time !....

My son bought a laptop from Argos fourteen months ago,
    last week it would not boot up

we took it to Curry's who said they suspected the hard drive was shot.
    I paid the initial 60 and it was sent to Knowhow for repair...another 127.

When I spoke to the tech' at Knowhow he said that the fault had not been caused by misuse and it was in otherwise exc' cond'.

He suggested that I contacted Argos and claimed back our costs under the " sale of goods act ",

he said that we had every right to expect this item to last longer than fourteen months
    , it had not been damaged by dropping nor had it been hacked.

Can anyone advise me on what action I can take...
    ..thanks.

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Have Knowhow provided a full report on this that you can send to Argos with details of the costs incurred ?

Generally speaking in these situations you always have to contact the retailer you bought the item from first, to give them the opportunity of resolve the faults you had experienced.

You have denied them this opportunity by taking it to Currys.
    Argos might therefore say this to you,

so you need full details from Knowhow in a report,
    so they can see why the repair by Knowhow was needed.

I would also ask Knowhow for the faulty hard drive taken out to be sent back to you,
    just in case Argos say they want to have it inspected.

Default Re: Argos laptop.

Hi Uncle.......The tech' at Knowhow was very helpful and said that they would send a full report of repairs along with laptop when it was returned to PC World, hopefully this will be today or tomorrow. I have the receipt for initial 60 and of course I'll have the final bill. Right now I'll phone them and ask that they also send back the hard drive.

Site Team maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52's Avatar

Cagger since : Jun 2006

Thread moved to appropriate Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.
    If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder IDONT UNDERSTAND Novitiate

Cagger since : Apr 2017

]
    should went to argos.
    changed it in warranty.

now argos dont have to do nothing.

try getting it back before knowhow do anything to it!(just an opinion).

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

???

dx

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder IDONT UNDERSTAND Novitiate

Cagger since : Apr 2017

IF ANYTHING YOU SHOWED US KNOWHOW NOT worth a penny

.they should not have touched it let alone charged you.

a hard drive wont cost that much and anyone who tampers with your laptop while under warranty is not worth a carrot and tell you they cannot touch it.

tell knowhow you want your money back (and currys).

take the laptop back to argos and have it mended under warranty.

changing a hard drive is nothing
    60 is way to much.

a new hard drive wont cost that much and you can fit it yourself in no time.

(i am saying this hoping laptop is still under warranty?)

if it is knowhow and currys are taking you for a ride.
    if it is not you could fix it yourself and currys should have told you so only being hard drive.

220 plus for a laptop repair means one amazing laptop

.i hate these people taking all they can get.

even with no warranty a simple hard drive replacement cost you 40-50

i reckon.currys being wrong in diagnoses maybe with more problems?

187 no way.

no wonder these people never add up to much.

HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME POSTING THAT IS RATHER )$%^*&(*)!"$$^&(&*_.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Warranties are worthless
    They don't remove your statutory rights under CRAicon.

Take it to Argos
    And use the knowhow data as a report the fee will be refunded
    You needed to get a fault report anyway as its your responsibility out side of 6 MTS old

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

I'm picking the laptop up today, Knowhow said they would enclose full report of repairs..as for the old hard drive they said a request has been made to return it to store, but strangely enough they said seemed unsure whether they would be able to return the hard drive.

I've collected the laptop and Knowhow have returned the old hard drive which they have described the issue as being caused by " a faulty hard drive ".

My next step is to contact Argos regarding claiming back cost of repair/replacement.

In the event of them knocking me back is there anything that I can quote from the " sale of goods act ".

no CRAicon

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

OK...Consumer Rights Acticon...is there a standard letter which I can adapt to my case ?.

you don't need a letter
    you are going in person.

read the CRAicon.<<clickme

good and fit for purpose

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

I'm sorry I don't understand.

The laptop was ordered over the phone and delivered by courier,

do you mean that I should go to an Argos store with my claim,
    I'm quite happy to do that
    but what do I say when the store manager tells me that the item was out of guarantee when the fault occurred.

I looked at the CRAicon (fit for purpose) but which part specifically supports my claim.

Royalties Account Holder unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67 Highly authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since : Feb 2010

Think you will find that Argos have a centralised customer service centre that deals with such claims and you have to phone them in the first instance.

They will log your claim and explain the process.
    It is then a case of sending in the Knowhow report to them with a copy of the receipt confirming cost of repair.

Argos stores might have a customer service desk for such issues and they will just send off your information for you.

They won't handle issuing any refund for the repair.
    So you might as well just call their helpline.

Your point in regard to CRAicon is that the item should not have any faults within reasonable lifetime of the product i.e the hard drive should not fail within 14 months.

unclebulgaria67.....Thank s for your help, I'll phone Argos first thing tomorrow morning.

Warranties/guarantees are nothing to do with it
    And do not replace or negate your statutory rights under CRAicon

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

I just got off the phone with Knowhow, they said it would be reasonable to expect the hard drive to last for around six years. I'll post as soon as I've phoned Argos.

Where to start ?.

I phoned Argos and explained the situation,
    they took the details and said that I would have to take the hard drive to a third party to have it inspected,
    they would not accept just Knowhow's finding alone,
    that I would have to find a VAT registered company.
    .."one that had no financial interest in the matter" ??.
    and see what they decided.

I tried three computer repair shops but each said that as they do not have the volume of business they would have to alter their price structure.

One suggested that I contact Trading Standards, which I did.
    I spoke to a woman with a very loud dictatorial voice who during the rather one sided conversation said at least a half dozen times that I should have gone to the trader first.

I tried explaining that as the laptop was out of guarantee
    I did not think I would have any joy with them,

I also asked her why such a large company as PC World would have anything to gain by giving a false finding,

but she kept banging on about going to the trader first and asked me if I had the number for the Financial Ombudsmanicon.

I also asked Argos why they would not accept Knowhow's finding and that going to another company to have it re-examined would only serve to push up the final cost,

but he repeated that it needed to be examined by a "neutral" company.

I dearly wished that I could have reached down the phone line and grabbed that loud woman, It was like listening to a party political broadcast.

Does anybody know what my next step should be.

Have you tried diagnostics on the HDD using a USB caddy and another PC?

For 10 you can buy one
    And if the drive is trucked
    A new one is cheap too

All you would then need is a copy of your windows version
    And that's free online using your key label on the lappy

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details