Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder dazza72 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jul 2012

Default Poor Credit - New Credit Card - Payments Frequency

Hi Folks,

I'm a 45 year old male who is at the start of a very long process in rebuilding my credit score after years of poor credit management, pay day loansicon etc caused by gambling (now in remission!). All my creditors are being paid back on time each month as agreed.

In order to help rebuild my credit I have managed to acquire a high interest rated credit card (Ocean by Capital Oneicon) with a basic limit of 200. I'm going to be using this card to pay for my petrol each month (no more than 130 per month) and obviously pay off each month in full.

My question is simple, I have heard contradictory theories as to when is best for me to repay the monthly amount. Do I wait for the monthly statement and pay it off then prior to the due date or am I best paying it off prior to the statement being issued?

My theory on waiting for the statement is if I pay before this then my credit file will show my balance as 0 each month which, to some creditors, will mean they cannot establish if I am able to manage credit well as I have not used the account therefore they would be reluctant to lend me, in the future, a larger amount of credit.

Any ideas on my best way forward would be appreciated.

Darren

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    obiter dictum Informative obiter dictum Informative obiter dictum Informative

Cagger since : Oct 2013

Default Re: Poor Credit - New Credit Card - Payments Frequency

Take it from me as a person who has been in your position. Wait for the statement then make payment. With me i set up a direct debiticon for the Credit Card company to take the minimum payment and pay extra each month through online banking.

Again my own system is that i pay it off with these extra payments but always carry over say 5-10. And forget credit scores, they mean squat. It is a payment history with green markers that count, the longer the better.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

pay it off each month when you've got the statement then you don't get charged interest.
    green dots is the idea
    but not garner their pocket with interest...

trouble is though
    if you've got defaults
    wont help you at all until they vanish. on 6yrs

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52 Highly authoritative maroondevo52's Avatar

Cagger since : Jun 2006

I'd make sure you set up a direct debiticon to make the minimum payment each month even if you are paying the balance in full every month, obviously the minimum payment will not be taken if the balance is paid.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.
    If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert
    Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details