Driving from Belfast to Dublin

obiter dictum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just checking before i contact my insurance company if needed

Now hold a Northern Ireland Driving licence and insured with Admiral.

Need to drive down to Dublin from Belfast, so my question being,

Do i need extra insurance or notify my insurance company, or will my fully comp cover me

Many thanks

Why would it not ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Oh, and watch out you don't get caught speeding!

That "40 on a white background in a red circle" is 40 mph north of the border, but 40 kph south of the border ...... an easy mistake to make if you are "just doing what you've always done".

Because you may get minimal cover.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/car-insurance-when-driving-abroad

OP's fully comp (in the UK) may default to third party only while in Eire, so the OP is best checking with their insurer.

I think it is possible that Northern Irish car insurances cover usage in both Northern and Southern Ireland, as well as the rest of the UK, but not outside of these areas. Once you go outside of Ireland and UK, the cover is reduced to third party, unless you have cover extended.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just go to the Admiral website. The lines below are copied verbatim:

Your Admiral car insurance policy covers you for driving in most EU countries, including:

Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands

Any other country which is a member of the European Union

Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Croatia

You won't need to contact us before driving in any of these countries as long your trip does not exceed 30 days, but you will need to take your Certificate of Motor Insurance with you.

Did check with my insurance and they stated will be covered third party.

The Kph confusing but my Tom-Tom did the conversions and maximim is 75mph or 120 Kph.

Drivng on the motorway south of the border was a pleasure unlike the rest of the UK

If this is going to be a regular trip across the border, find an insurers that provides automatic comprehensive cover. I can't believe that a a specific Northern Irish issued policy does not provide automatic full cover within Ireland.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread