• Tweets

• They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
    • In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ongoing, unresolved account dispute passed on to debt collection. Thomann music store.

wotnwhy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought some items from Thomann.de in December last year.

Paid by Paypal.

Got 'Payment accepted' notice and items arrived.

A few weeks ago I get an e-mail from Thomann asking me to pay an outstanding balance.

I thought it was some sort of phishing [problem],

but after checking it out,

everything seemed legit.

I replied asking them what I owed them money for

(at this point still assuming the order that was completed 4 months ago was, indeed, completed..)

Apparently, my Paypal payment didn't go through at the time, but they sent the items anyway and opened an account....

"Since you are an old customer, we sent the order on open invoice and sent an email with this information."

I never received the supposed e-mail, and (as I pointed out in my reply) never responded to give this the OK...

If I didn't have the funds to pay, then I'm sorry but you should not have sent the items...

I did not agree to set up a credit account. And I do not accept you making this decision for me, ESPECIALLY without asking me!

Just because I am an 'old customer' does not mean it's ok for you to set things up on my behalf without my permission!

You cannot send me an invoice bill 4 months after a purchase where I was told at the time my payment was accepted and had gone through.

Thomann clearly weren't happy with that response as the next message contained a threat of a debt collection agency:

We only did this out of trust...we did inform you immediately after we took the deicision to send the goods out. There is no interest to pay or nothing like that.

You did received goods for which you did not pay!

We did notify you about this.

You can also check your paypal account to see there was no payment made.

We will ask you to please settle the outstanding payment or return the goods if they are still in new condition. If not, we will be forced to forward this case on to a debt collection agency.

In my response, I expressed my disappointment in them so readily resorting to threats, but also continued on the path to resolution:

I'm happy to work with both solutions you've offered, but both have problems:

If you want the items back that's fine, if you organise a courier I'll be happy to return them.

But I have had them for several months so there is no packaging and everything is used.

If you wanted everything back unused you should have dealt with this matter either quicker

(so I could return unopened), or differently (so I could say 'no' to being sent on credit).

If you want paying for the items, fine.

But I do not have that kind of money any more, not even close.

I am barely (and not always) able to keep on top of rent and bills.

a repayment system would have to be in extremely small increments, and flexible month to month.

That was sent to them on Thursday (13th April).

All the correspondence above were on the same day with messages about an hour apart.

Today I get an e-mail from debt collectors....

I responded immediately with:

You have been sold a bad debt.

Ongoing dispute is not resolved, and Thomann GmbH do not have the legal right to assume an outstanding debt yet.

Then I started searching the net for advice and found this place.

Probably should have done that the other way round!

So, where do you think I stand on all this?

I think the two resolution offers I gave to Thomann are more than fair and reasonable considering the circumstances.

They clearly disagree, but surely they don't have the right to pass onto a debt collector at this point??

edit: Forgot to add, the amount is £87.52

Edited by wotnwhy

I know of this company, through taking an interest in online guitar related Youtube videos and other sites. They are known for being a friendly bunch with good customer service.

It is pretty old fashioned service that they chase you up 4 months afterwards, for goods that you have used and not paid for.

They have not set up a credit account. Simply a customer account recording the outstanding bill.

Within the EU area there is a cross border debt collection arrangement. They can get a UK Solicitor to issue a UK court claim, which will include relevant costs e.g court fees. You could end up with a CCJ on your UK records.

I would suggest that if you agree that the bill has not been paid, that you come to an arrangement with Thomann directly and you do not need to deal with their debt collection agency.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thankyou for your response, but your suggestion for a solution is where the problem is.

I was trying to come to an arrangement with Thomann directly, but they ignored my last message and passed the debt on to Credit Limits International LTD.

They just want the £87 paid as quickly as you can do it. If money is tight now, offer say 2 monthly instalments.

Credit limits are not real debt collectors.

They don't actually manage any debts, as they are not authorised by the FCA.

All they provide is a suite of letters for a small fee.

So Thomann have simply used a template letter and they still have the debt on their accounts.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thankyou :)

I will chase up Thomann for a reply to my last message to them.

As I said to them, I'm happy to arrange a way to repay.

But I cannot afford to pay in full, or even two instalments.

But considering the circumstances, that really shouldn't be a problem for them.

And certainly not grounds for ignoring me and passing on to faux debt collectors..

I think it is wrong for a company to send something when payment failed, without asking permission.

As I said to them, it was not the agreement I entered into and I would have turned it down or returned the items unopened if I had had any idea at the time.

But I no longer have either option because they made an assumption,

then waited 4 months to follow that decision up..

. A single e-mail from them, that was never confirmed or responded to, is not adequate imho...

If they had acted correctly, or not dragged their heels with a follow up, then this could have all been avoided or resolved without fuss.

But now here I am suffering because of their poor decisions and slow action...

Then on top of that,

they ignore my offer of a resolution and make it look like they've passed it on to a debt collection agency.

Surely that's out of order?

Edited by wotnwhy

Put yourself in their shoes.

If this was your business and a customer had received £87 of goods, payment had failed, with it now seeming to be a problem in them paying, i don't think you would be a happy bunny.

I try not to judge, but if you want my honest opinion, i think you are being a bit unreasonable.

did you check Paypal, and the payment did not happen?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Put yourself in their shoes. If this was your business and a customer had received £87 of goods, payment had failed, with it now seeming to be a problem in them paying, i don't think you would be a happy bunny.

I try not to judge, but if you want my honest opinion, i think you are being a bit unreasonable.

I think it's important to reiterate that the payment failed. THEN they took the decision to send the goods out. It was not a case of them sending goods, then the payment later bouncing.

If it had been in the order you said, I would totally agree with you. I mean I still agree with you now, but I'm not a happy bunny either, and since both our grievances are down to their actions, I believe my unhappy bunny trumps theirs :violin:Haha! :)

I thank you and truly appreciate your honest opinion. But please tell me how you think I'm being unreasonable? As I just don't see it. I have acknowledged the debt and agreed to pay it back. I don't see how being too poor to pay it off quickly is unreasonable? Especially in the circumstances.

And staying on that vein for a moment, do you think it's also unreasonable to leave a customers (unknown) debt sitting for four months without a single follow up, then expect them to jump up with full payment the day you finally contact them? I only ask because in each reply you have seemed sympathetic to them (no problem with that, as I've said, I agree :) ), but have not expressed any sympathy for the situation they have put me in.

(note - please don't take any of this as confrontational, these are sincere questions and I appreciate the dialogue. But I know I can often be interpreted the wrong way so just making the point that all is said with a :) )

I have been going back through my e-mails and found the correspondence. I never delete any e-mails, even the ones I haven't read, which are now at 3k+!

I can see why I missed the e-mail.

On the order date 17/12/16, I got two confirmation e-mails. On the 18/12/16 I got yet another confirmation e-mail (the first one I opened), which read:

- Thank you very much for ordering with Thomann and your trust in our products and services.

- We hereby confirm the conclusion of the sales contract of the items you ordered, which are listed separately once again below.

- With this email we are sending you an order confirmation with every position and all details of your order for you to check.

- To avoid mistakes and misunderstandings we would kindly ask you to go through all positions and check if they are correct and complete. In case you find any error please let us know immediately.

Sounds like a pretty conclusive confirmation of a successfully completed transaction, no? And was the third e-mail regarding the order (first one I actually opened and read, but reading first two today, they are both confirmations too).

On 28/12/17 (note this is 10 days later) I get two more e-mails, the one I open reads:

- We know you are looking forward to receiving your delivery! We are delighted to inform you that your shipment has left our warehouse today.
Unfortunately, I never opened the second one. As, like with ebay and other online shops, it just looked like their e-mails often come in groups (ref. the two confirmation e-mails on the 17th).

I say unfortunately, because it would seem it contained this vital info:

- When processing your order we unfortunatly experienced problems charging the invoice amount from your credit card or PayPal account.

- The reason for this could be that the service was temporarily unavailable, that there were temporary problems with your bank or that through our charge a limit would have been exceeded. Most banks work with internal limits, independently from the actual limit (e.g. for mail orders or international payments).

- In order to avoid a delay and inconvenience and as you have been a good and loyal customer, we have decided to ship your order on open invoice instead.

Again, I think it's worth noting that this is 10 days after the order was confirmed as successful by three separate e-mails (one that I read). And sent at the same time as the order dispatched e-mail.

Yes, I should have been more diligent and opened the second e-mail. But it's usually just some company blurb/offer/extra sell/newsletter etc. Or part of a series of update e-mails (order packed, order picked up, order out for delivery etc.). So was overlooked.

Yes, overlooking that 1 e-mail was a mistake (a big one, it would seem). But still a small and very innocent mistake compared to their big (but still innocent) mistake of not waiting for confirmation/asking my permission, and the even bigger (and imho, not so innocent) mistake of leaving it four months before sending the next e-mail.

This is why I don't think my vexation at the matter is unreasonable (but still up for discussion on that :) ). All that was needed was something like 'Payment Problem' as the subject of the first e-mail, rather than it being the order number, and it would have stood out from the other 5 and I'd have read it. Or how about a follow up e-mail a few days/a week/a fortnight/a month/6 weeks/two months later?

All I did was miss one little e-mail. It just so happened to be the one that contradicted all the others... :(

When you just look at this in a simple way, that you ordered something, they sent it to you because of previous custom and have given you 4 months to pay the £87 due, i can't see that the retailer is unjustified in treating this as a debt. Yes they might have poor accounts admin process, but perhaps they are just trusting of their customers to pay what is due.

If you now have financial problems, then it is up to you how you deal with it. Explain your situation and just pay them over a relevant period. Or you can't pay it, as you have other priorities and see what happens. The same as any other debt, if Thomann wanted to issue a court claim in the UK they can do so, but given the amount, they might not bother.

I'm starting to wonder if you actually reading what I type, or just skimming it and making assumptions... You've replied 4 times now (which I appreciate), but each time seem to just be reiterating the same simple point, which confuses me as it's one that I; a) haven't missed, and b) actually acknowledge in every one of my posts..? :|

I do not dispute or disagree with anything you're saying? :???:You've made the same simple point in each of your posts and each time I've agreed with you. It's a simple and clear cut situation. They've sent goods, I owe them money for it. I've never suggested I don't think I should pay it, only that I cant' pay it in full right now...? So again, I fail to see why you keep focusing on the simple facts that no-one here is disputing??

What I'm moaning about here, (which I thought would be obvious to anyone reading this thread by now), is the fact that they only informed me of this by a single e-mail, then left it four month before contacting me again. Meaning it not only came as a very unexpected and unwelcome surprise, but also at a time where I don't have the money to pay it back in full today. Then in addition to springing an unwelcome surprise, they have also ignored my offer of repayments and moved on to debt collector style letters.

At no point in my posts have I made any suggestion that I think they are unjustified in viewing this as a debt, so why do you keep feeling the need to defend the debt when no-one is disputing it? As I say, to keep missing the point this way suggests that you're not actually reading what I'm typing...

And finally, the advice you offer to move forward is exactly what I detailed as being my last communication to then, which they ignored. But you say it as if it's something I haven't done. So again, you leave me wondering how much you're actually reading my posts?

I just noticed the title of the thread contains the term "account dispute", and could certainly be interpreted as my disputing the actual debt. But you would still need to ignore all the thread content to reach that conclusion.. But I can see how it may lead to you reading the thread with a certain spin.

A more fitting term would have been "account issue", as there is no dispute, just the issue of my offer of repayments being ignored and them moving it on to a faux debt collector.

Yes i did read. You are not happy about the process Thomann have used. I should imagine that this might be down to them being a large store and not having sufficient admin staff. They send emails and then take 4 months to chase it up. In Germany, they probably just pass to their legal advisors to issue court claims if needed. But as you are in the UK, it is more difficult.

It is then what you can do practically. You want to pay, but don't have the funds. Explain to Thomann in an email and advise them you will pay when funds are available. Save the money up over a few months and pay them.

Yes i did read. You are not happy about the process Thomann have used. I should imagine that this might be down to them being a large store and not having sufficient admin staff. They send emails and then take 4 months to chase it up. In Germany, they probably just pass to their legal advisors to issue court claims if needed. But as you are in the UK, it is more difficult.

So what part of that did you think was unreasonable of me?

It is then what you can do practically. You want to pay, but don't have the funds. Explain to Thomann in an email and advise them you will pay when funds are available. Save the money up over a few months and pay them.

All of which I have done, and they have ignored. Which is why I'm here asking for help :)

Unreasonable in having goods for 4 months and then having a problem with the chasing process. Imagine if you owed a Bank £87, they would be threatening allsorts, with constant letters and phone calls, with daily charges and interest added.

The positive point to make is that the debt amount is not increasing and they are not sending doorstep collectors to your house. It is a case of advising Thomann of your situation and advising that you will look to pay them within say the next 3 months.

Imagine if you owed a Bank £87, they would be threatening allsorts, with constant letters and phone calls, with daily charges and interest added.

EXACTLY! :madgrin:

I would have been made aware that there was an outstanding debt much sooner than 4 months down the line! I could have been paying back £23 a month and the debt would be completely cleared by now!

I would completely agree with the 'unreasonable', had I been aware of a debt for the last 4 months! I think I am completely reasonable to have a problem with the chasing process when the process is; Do nothing for 4 months (not even check that the single informative message had been received), then expect full payment on the day of first follow up correspondence!

So if that's what you found unreasonable about my frustration, I guess we just have very different standards of reasonable.. But thankyou for your input :)

Edited by wotnwhy

I try to look at these frustrations a bit differently, because otherwise i might start to get angry over something that is not important in the big scheme of things.

Even if Thomann have poor admin, by the time you pay in 3 months time, you will have enjoyed having the goods for 7 months, at no extra cost. Because they are based in Germany and you don't have interest/charges being added, plus real debt collection activity, then it is just hassle of dealing with emails.

Again I agree with everything you say... And you're not really saying anything different to your previous replies, which I've expressed that I agree with. Not sure what your point is?

by the time you pay in 3 months time, you will have..

You seem to keep making the basic assumption that this ^ is a given. But they have ignored my responses and offer to do this, so....?

There is no magic solution e.g European consumer law on your side here. If there was and i was aware of it, then i would have responded in detail.

Your gripe seems to be that they should have waited for payment to clear, before sending the goods or when the payment failed they should have asked for immediate return of goods or payment.

But the goods were sent to you as ordered and they have been opened/used. So it is now up to you when you pay them. Look at the original order to see what it says about payment terms. Usually, where goods are sent without payment, most companies expect the invoice to be settled within 1 month. It is now 4 months on and they are chasing for the outstanding payment. Tell Thomann of your problems and when you expect to be able to pay them. Stick to it and ignore communication, unless it is a court claim ( unlikely).

I agree, you ordered the goods.

That creates a contract and a liability on your part to pay for them.

If you couldnt afford the item why did you order it in the first place?

Saying they shouldnt have sent the goods isnt actually a good legal argument.

If you are that broke send the item back and explain that you are too arrogant and too ignorant to ever consider that contract law could possibly apply to you and you hope they dont mind you having its free use for the last 4 months.

Really.

You seem to keep making the basic assumption that this ^ is a given. But they have ignored my responses and offer to do this, so....?

You seem to be awaiting their permission to repay them in installments.

In effect, they have allowed you extra time to pay. They now want it all in one lump sum.

You can't do that due to your financial situation.

Stop getting annoyed with their debt collection process, which isn't unfair bearing in mind they don't know your specific circumstances.

After all, they did send you an e-mail, and it isn't their fault you didn't read it.

Your complaint is that they didn't tell you straight away, when you might have been more able to pay it off? (Yet, they had emailed you.....)

Something was already going wrong (why was it your Paypal payment didn't go through.......)

If they had instead, at 1 month late, demanded the whole sum and sent it to debt recovery (as they would have been entitled to do), you might have been less aggrieved, but others might complain instead that they were acting too quickly. It seems they are damned if they do, damned if they don't, when actually the problem isn't their good nature in sending out the goods when the Paypal payment failed, the problem is your financial woes and you not reading your emails!.

However, "you are where you are", and need to deal with the situation.

So, just ignore their debt collection activity, and send them a letter saying "I understand how this has arisen, but due to my changed financial circumstances all I can do is repay it in x installments. The first installment has been paid."

"I shall continue to repay according to what I am able, but repaying you direct.

I will continue to ignore any debt collection agency, and will not pay any charges they add, just pay you the amount owed, in x installments".

Additionally, don't get cranky if, in future, if you order something and the payment fails, they don't go out of their way to be pleasant and send it out to you anyway, advising you of the failed payment in e-mail.

Be careful what you wish for.