Question about overtime

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'll try to keep this short.

Preface: So I am working for a retail company for last 6 years, and since summer last year I've been on an 8 hour contract to give me flexibility for my studies. I've been working for 25 hours a week for the last 4 months but now that exams and coursework deadlines are approaching I've asked to only work my 8 contract hours per week until they are over. I have been told by management that I need to give them 4 weeks notice as they have already done the rotas for the next 4 weeks and they can't be changed. I'm only contractually obliged to do overtime during December, all other times are optional.

Question: Am I obliged to work the overtime shifts I've been given because they already put the next 4 weeks rotas up, or in the nicest way possible can I tell them I will work the 8 hours I'm contracted for within the availability I've given them, and refuse any overtime?

Many thanks for your time.

Edited by raptor-21

It depends on whether the contract or company policy says that you must provide notice of not being available for overtime. If the contract doesn't say that, I doubt that they can force you to work overtime. Whether there are consequences for that is a matter we can't predict.