Transfer of Property Ownership after death

u694507
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I inherited my parents home after they passed away (Father in 2002, Mother in 2005) and have probate in my name.

The property value was and is below the Inheritance Tax threshold.

The home is mortgage free and I currently reside in it with my family.

Please can you advise how to transfer into my and my wife's names.

Thanks

Hi and Welcome to CAG

I have created your own thread..please continue to post here.

Assent where the whole property is being transferred

If the property is registered and the deceased was the sole owner, the personal representatives will need to complete a Deed of Assent (Land Registry Form AS1) in order for it to be transferred to the intended beneficiary or beneficiaries.

There is no requirement by the Land Registry that you use a solicitor or legal adviser to complete the form but if there is a mortgage on the property, it is worth checking whether the lender will insist you use a solicitor or licensed conveyancer.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

There is no requirement by the Land Registry that you use a solicitor or legal adviser to complete the form ...

The AS1 form is fairly easy to fill in, but you do need to use the precise wording in panel 12 which is laid out in the guidance notes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/whole-of-registered-title-assent-as1/guidance-how-to-complete-form-as1

When you come to submit the AS1 form, the Land Registry will accept the Grant of Probate as proof of identity thus avoiding the need to include an ID1 form.

I had to do an assent myself last year, but it was complicated by the need to also do a compulsory first registration. The LR help line is generally good if there are any queries regarding the forms (but the can not give legal advice).

One tip: The forms can be downloaded as PDF documents. If you open them up in (for example) OpenOffice, you can type in the text where needed. Much easier than using pen & tippex :wink:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I went through this process last year and was very pleasantly surprised with the amount of help available from the land registry - the process is very well documented and there are even videos to guide you through the process. If you are still unsure on any point there is a very friendly help line.

So glad I didn't pay the rip off solicitors the £380 and instead invested half an hour of my time instead.