I was caught shoplifting at primark while on holiday and now expecting the letter from rlp,Should I not pay them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About a week ago my sister of 24 years of age and my under aged self arrived in London for holiday visiting our cousin,who is currently a university student.

Neither of us has any source of income other than their parents and not having a lot of time to save up for this trip made it very hard for us to get by with the money we were given.Yesterday was our 7th day and we thought it would be a good idea to take some presents for back home but without much money it would be hard to acquire them.

We finally decided to steal some but of course it was a STUPID idea.We were taken to the room downstairs by a really kind lady.She asked us for our info name,date of birth ,Addres.We contacted our mother with her help and she confirmed everything we told her.

She told us a letter would come demanding we pay an unfairly high amount of money which could be 300-400 pound,around 10-15 times the amount of money we attempted to steal.After that she took copies of our ids and we returned home.

I was mainly concerned about my mother as she would have to pay the "fine",so I started doing some intensive research and came across this site.Almost in every single case you guys provided amazing support to other members and always advised against paying the money.

I know there are a lot of people like me out there but I wanted to know if the fact that I am a resident of a different country would change things.My personal opinion is that it would be even harder for them to do something that would affect me negatively.

The security Guard constantly tried to remind me to pay that money and if I wouldn't they could inform the local authorities.I find it really unlikely but I would also love to have some feedback from you about my situation.

If you made it to here I thank you very much and please excuse any mistakes i make made in English :)

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

After a holiday in London I would be very upset if the only present I got came from Primark !

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Hello there.

I don't think you'll have a problem with RLP whether you're in the UK or not. But stealing isn't a good idea and hope you won't do that again.

If you get any other letters, please come back here and we'll talk you through whether you need to do anything or not.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

don't do it again

you totally ignore rlp

they have ZERO LEGAL POWERS

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No matter who you are and where you are from, you dont pay a penny. They are not part of the law, they are just a shady company that lies and preys on ignorance.

Ignore them and carry on with your life. Youll also need to address your shoplifting habits as well.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

No matter who you are and where you are from, you dont pay a penny. They are not part of the law, they are just a shady company that lies and preys on ignorance.

Ignore them and carry on with your life. Youll also need to address your shoplifting habits as well.

Thanks again for taking time off your day to respond to me.As I previously said it was stupid what I did.It was a first for

Me but I'd rather focus on solving my issue rather than making me feel even worse

No intention of making you feel worse, but as well as dealing with RLP, which youve had advice on, you need to deal with that caused you to shoplift as well. But as long as you ignore RLP, nothing will happen. Just be aware that if you do it again, the police could be called, and since youre a resident of another coutnry, any visa's etc can be marked or cancelled.

I know it might be upsetting, but you have to know the truth.

Also, be aware that RLP cant touch any visa or criminal record. They have zero authority to do so.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

My fellow members spell out to shoplifters not to do it again, not to make you feel worse but as a reminder that your actions were not right. We also follow the mantra, "Two wrongs don't make a right." No-one on CAG condones shoplifting but we all agree that these actions should be dealt with by the relevant party. The Police. Another reason why we take people to task is that if a person shoplifted again, advice given here makes us look foolish.

Yes, you did wrong but RLP are worse. They prey on the ignorance of the un-knowing of UK law. At one stage, RLP (along with the retailer) did take court action but after a serious slapping in 2012, there have been no cases taken to court. As you are a non UK resident, there is absolutely nothing they can do apart from sending their puerile letters. Once RLP hve finished with their templated letters, they pass on the 'charge' to a debt collector. These debt collectors have even less power than RLP.

Don't even respond to any letters. At the top of this forum is a 'sticky' I made. Have a read. :wink:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Again,thank you all sincerely for helping me resolve this issue and giving me quick and enlighting responses.

As I mentioned before it was a first for me

,never actually thought about it before and we were led to this action due to the lack of money because neither of us had time to save up for this trip.

I was only a little upset because I felt like I was treated like someone who has done this before and that is why I responded in that manner previously.

I do understand it was wrong but I considered it too obvious that's the reason I didn't emphasize it too much on the original post.

I know it was dishonest and illegal ,of course, and I really regret it but I was mainly concerned about the financial implications my actions might have had.

Thank you though for sharing a bit of your knowledge with me and I wish you luck to keep helping other people who are in need of advice :-D :-D :-D

I know it was dishonest and illegal ,of course, and I really regret it but I was mainly concerned about the financial implications my actions might have had.

There are none unless the police got involved. And even then chances are that theyd issue a caution.

But they didnt get involved. The shop has already forgetten about you. RLP think they are part of the legal system when in reality the legal system wants nothing to do with them