LGV Driving and CPC Card required??

obiter dictum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What exactly is the law now with driving say 7.5 Tonne and the Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card??

At one time was a driver with Royal Mail and 7.5 Tonne vehicles. Was told did not need the CPC as passed my test prior to 1998 as i remember.

The reason for asking is that now in possession of a Northern Ireland Driving Licence and forgot to exchange my DVLA Digital Tacho Card.

So do i need a CPC or not?? If no will exchange my Digital Tacho card

thread title is LGV

7.5 is not lgv

there is a requirement for up to 7.5t re the digi card you mention.

what are you going to be driving?

Yes commercially

C1 – also referred to as a 7.5 tonne or class 3 this category enables the licence holder to drive a large goods vehicle (LGV) with a gross vehicle weight of up to 7,500kg with a trailer up a maximum authorised mass of up to 750kg.

Alas, you do need the CPC to drive 7.5t vehicles commercially. This came in to effect (if memory serves) on 1st September 2015. Up until that point (which was 5 years from the introduction of CPC's) holders of licences with the C1 category (that had been obtained before the introduction of the CPC requirements) could continue to drive large vehicles without the need for a CPC.

However, it's not all bad news! Unless it's changed since the last time I looked, the requirement is for 35 hours of training in a 5 year period, and while you would need to do the whole 35 hours before being legally allowed to drive a large vehicle commercially, there is nothing in the rules about which modules of the CPC course that you have to take. Which, as daft as it sounds, means that you could, if you wanted, do the same module over and over again (to reach the 35 hours required), I'd suggest load security :wink:

That does rather make a mockery of the whole CPC system and in my mind, just goes to prove that it's just a money making scheme for someone. That, and the fact that you could go out and hire a 7.5t vehicle and drive it around all day long without a CPC, only needing a CPC if someone is paying you to drive it. What's the difference?

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.