Account Name Issue

Peter_Moxon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2001 my wife and I separated and I opened a Barclays Current Account solely in my name. Previously I had held a joint account at the same Bank/Branch. About 3 years later Barclays offerred me the opportunity to upgrade to their fee paying Additions account. This seemed a good idea at the time so I signed up for it.

When the next statement came thorough for some reason the account name was "Mr & Mrs". I called the bank and they said that it was an error and that they would correct it. They confirmed also that my ex-wife had NOT been issued with a cheque book or cash card etc. As promised her name was later removed.

Now I am trying through the Financial Ombudsman to reclaim the account fees as the package may have been mis-sold.

The problem is that the Ombudsman and Barclays are saying that the account was in joint names "according to the ledger" and therefore insist my ex-wife needs to sign the claim form as she might be entitles to part of any refund. If I were to do that I would be acting fraudulently and therefore refuse to do that.

I know that back then Barclays were running 2 systems and errors did occur, in fact our original joint account once her name was removed had my bank statements going to her address, a house that I had never even lived in.

Having given other examples of account name/address issue to both Barclays and the Ombudsman we are all in a stale-mate situation.

Can anyone possibly suggest a way forward?

I think that the starting point is to get evidence to show the history of the account and the fact that it was in joint names and that when you upgrade it, it was specified that it would be in your sole name.

I think you will need to send an SAR.

Of course being back in 2001, I suppose they will say that they don't hold data longer than six years – but that's not true. They all hold data much longer than that but they farmed out to archive centres.

Send off your SAR and see what they say and then we will deal with the response.