Ceiling paint damage, Dunelm offer compensation but only to decorator

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

About 12 months ago my partner and I bought three ceiling lights from Dunelm and fitted them using the recommended bulbs. Over the past 12 months dark stains have appeared on our ceiling above each bulb.

A sample light was sent back to Dunelm who investigated the issue with the supplier and eventually accepted liability, offering to pay to have our ceilings repainted.

This is all great and we're happy with the service. We obtained quotes and sent a middle-of-the-road quote to Dunelm for approval, however they refuse to send me the money, instead insisting the money is paid directly to the decorator we contract to do the work.

I have a few issues with this. It's not the decorator who has suffered a loss, we have, so why is not us who are compensated for an agreed sum? Second, I have never paid upfront for any work in the past, which appears to be what Dunelm expect me to do in effect.

I guess my question is, is there any basis on which to insist it is me who is compensated, leaving me free to contract whomever I wish?

Hi all,

About 12 months ago my partner and I bought three ceiling lights from Dunelm and fitted them using the recommended bulbs. Over the past 12 months dark stains have appeared on our ceiling above each bulb.

A sample light was sent back to Dunelm who investigated the issue with the supplier and eventually accepted liability, offering to pay to have our ceilings repainted.

This is all great and we're happy with the service. We obtained quotes and sent a middle-of-the-road quote to Dunelm for approval, however they refuse to send me the money, instead insisting the money is paid directly to the decorator we contract to do the work.

I have a few issues with this. It's not the decorator who has suffered a loss, we have, so why is not us who are compensated for an agreed sum? Second, I have never paid upfront for any work in the past, which appears to be what Dunelm expect me to do in effect.

I guess my question is, is there any basis on which to insist it is me who is compensated, leaving me free to contract whomever I wish?

It is pretty standard for companies to pay a contractor for which an estimate has been provided. You have asked for your ceiling to be repaired and Dunelm have offered to pay for this to be done.

I am not sure you can insist on cash, as it is up to Dunelm how they want to deal with it. It is not as if you can take them to court and win based on method of payment.

Speak to the contractor to see when they can do the work and then liase with Dunelm about when they will pay for the work. You might find that the contractor cannot do the work at a date/time that is convenient to you and you can see if Dunhelm will pay you the estmate in cash so you can find another contractor who is available at a more convenient date/time. Unless you show effort in seeing what works, then Dunelm think you don't intend on having the work done and you just want the cash.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It sounds like you wish for the cash rather than the repainting of the ceiling, if you want the ceiling repainted by the decorator what is the issue?

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

The issue is primarily that I have never considered it a good idea to pay a tradesman in advance of work being carried out, there is no incentive to complete the work to any particular standard. If I were the one in control of who gets paid and when I would feel like I had some sort of control over the quality of the work being carried out. As it stands, my fear is the decorator knows this is a quick and easy job, turns up, slaps some paint on and then disappears knowing full well he's got his money and has technically done what he's been contracted to do.

Thanks both for your comments. I realise it sounds like I'd rather pocket the cash however that is not true, I'd simply rather be in control of who was working in my home and to what standard.

Yes you could insist on the cash, but on the basis that everybody seems to been so positive and so helpful, I think it might be in your best interest to go along with it.

I don't understand why you feel that this means that your painter will be paid in advance. I agree with you that it would be a very bad idea.

What I think it does mean is that you will pay out of your own pocket and seek reimbursement.

I think that what you need to do is to get them to agree that they will pay within seven days of receiving the bill for the work.

If you wanted, you could cause trouble and insist on having the money paid to you, but they might balk at this and you might end up in conflict and also delaying a situation where by and large it's unnecessary.

Stand on your rights? All stand on the most pragmatic solution?

It is like when you make an insurance claim the insurers make you go to one of their approved suppliers and choose a replacement item rather than handing over the cash. They are obliged to make good, not pay you money because you asked for it. You could always ask them to buy you a tin of paint and you will collect it from your nearest store. In short, they are paying for something and they want to make sure that waht they are paying for is what they actually get in return for their money.