Clearscore....a little misleading ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

First post so please be gentle....

.... just wanted to see what others thought - I have been trying to rebuild my credit following some debt issues 20 years ago. I saw the website advertised on the TV and thought I would take a look.

The site is great , advising me on credit cards that could help me with rebuilding my credit. I am currently in a great job with regular income so this seemed ideal. I applied for 2 credit cards as suggested and was accepted with fairly low credit limit. I have been using these cards and paying them (not just the minimum payment) and all going well.

I then received an email from the site that I regularly receive every few weeks informing me of my current credit score and to my joy the credit score had increased - within the email was an opportunity to continue increasing my score my applying for another card- I entered details and was told 90% chance - so clicked continue and filled out application online similar as before.

Message popped up saying further info was required and company of credit card would contact me.

5 days later I received a letter saying that the card I applied for was declined as I had taken out a credit card only 9 months ago from the same "parent" company - this search was now to be shown on my credit file as a negative !

Now, I realise that applying for multiple cards is a bad thing for credit scoring, however I felt a bit cheated as I was only following Clearscores own email stating I should apply to continue rebuilding my credit !! Their suggestion has now ended with a negative mark on their scoring system !

I just feel a disclaimer should have been present for me to see (not hidden in layers of small print) when I applied stating that even though we have recommended this card to rebuld your credit , applications to this credit card provider may be adverse ifyou already have one of their cards....

...Am I being reasonable or not ? Happy to hear whether you agree or disagree with me

Thanks in advance

Kev

Use Clear Score's contact form and submit a complaint - see what response you receive.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Most credit card companies now only do a soft search that do not impact your credit file.

Recently had this myself as i applied for both an AQUA and Marbles card for a balance transfer. Found out later they are owned by the same parent company 'Newday'

They simply cancelled the AQUA application and gave me a marbles card

What i am trying to say is that the application on your credit file (search) can only be seen by you, not by other future lenders being a soft credit search. Only a full credit search will be recorded. Your credit score will return back to normal after 6-12 months

And credit scores mean squat in reality and a money making [problem] by the credit agencies. It is your ability to pay that matters and stability. The credit agencies get a kick back with any successful application from that credit provider

Edited by obiter dictum

you cant rebuild your credit in the way the companies insinuate that you can. If you have no credit card then that is a minus but as soon as you get one that is a minus as well because you are no longer a potential customer for CC co's.

Hopefully you have learnt something from this, it is their ball and they will invent the rules if you want to play with them. Use Clearscore or Noddle to keep an eye on things but dont use them for anything else, irti isnt in your interests but theirs. They earn money for the "step through" application, you didnt get the carda nd your score suffers as a result.

The advert may say that the soap powder washes whiter but they dont say whiter than what or how much whiter.

That negative marker due to the application will fall off in a couple months anyway. I did a few a couple years ago when i was severly in debt, and they vanished around 6 months later.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D