Bathroom still not repaired by landlord, left without shower or sink

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A relative of mine, who is a private tenant, had a problem with a leak to the flat below from the bathroom. At the beginning of February the landlord got a person in who ripped all the tiles off all the walls, (a fully tiled to ceiling bathroom) dismantled the shower (that was a panel screen to the side of the bath) and took out the bathroom sink. In the process they cracked the cistern but that was replaced.

The person proceeded to tile the bathroom without really investigating any leaks from what it looks like. They ripped chunks off the plaster underneath when they removed the tiles and proceeded to fill the holes with tile adhesive. They then put up the tiles with blobs of tile adhesive so that you can put your finger behind the tiles as they are on the wall! So there is about 25cm of gap/tile adhesive blobs sticking the tiles to the walls.

They also tried to fill a hole with tissue paper. Previously the tiles were nearer to the wall and the door frame was a bit protruding above the tiles, but now they are not and are crooked in places. They informed the landlord and work was stopped.

No further work has been done and there is no sign of anyone coming to fix the problem.

The flat costs £1,500/month but they have only been offered £200 in total reduction in rent for 2 months of having no sink in the bathroom and no shower/unable to put things like toothbrushes/toiletries in the bathroom.

Any suggestions and what are their rights and thoughts on the ridiculously small amount off the rent for such a long time of not being able to use the bathroom fully?

Hi ssett

Please be patient as its the weekend it may be a bit quiet but I am sure the the caggers will be along to assist you.

Are they going through a Letting/Estate Agent or the Landlord Direct?

When did they start there Tenancy and what type of Tenancy Agreement do they have?

Is the Landlord actually aware of all the issue you have to date? (the reason I ask this if you complained to a Letting/Estate Agent are you sure they have made the Landlord aware of your issues)

others will be along so please be patient

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hello stu007,

Thanks for the reply - through the landlord. Tenancy started a couple or so years ago. Not sure of the Agreement type.

Yes the landlord is aware and has been for some time about the leak problem and the reason that the person came to do the work on the bathroom, they engaged the tiler (errr, bodge jobber) to do the work (on a recommendation to them!). I have seen the work myself and it is truly shockingly badly done!! I have some photos but they don't show the horrendous work really well - my relative sent me some photos but I was gobsmacked when I saw it in real life! I have been told that the landlord was going to get someone else to do it a few weeks ago but nothing materialised. The landlord offered the £200 off the rent and they are shocked by this - considering they were actually helping the landlord (who is not in the UK) stop dreadful and very expensive work been carried out on their property!