• Tweets

• In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
    • Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Gerald. I'm sorry but I disagree with you. this initial letter is nothing to do with any court action so any breach of civil procedure rules are not there. DWF don't come across my radar very often but the tactics they use are exactly the same as RLP. They state a lot but say nothing so in my very humble opinion, the only reason to contact them is to get the change of address sorted. I wouldn't bother getting into any spat over CPR rules as this can be dealt with IF court papers are issued. There is no point doing anything else as it confuses the issue.

The simple fact is DWF can not take action without the express intent from Sainsbury's. If DWF have got hold of a phone number then they will use it to harass but if the call is recorded and unlawful activity is detected, the boot goes on the other foot as there are express laws about harassment and DWF would not like it if one of their staff made unlawful claims and this was released in court, the SRA may then become interested.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Gerald. I'm sorry but I disagree with you. this initial letter is nothing to do with any court action so any breach of civil procedure rules are not there. DWF don't come across my radar very often but the tactics they use are exactly the same as RLP. They state a lot but say nothing so in my very humble opinion, the only reason to contact them is to get the change of address sorted. I wouldn't bother getting into any spat over CPR rules as this can be dealt with IF court papers are issued. There is no point doing anything else as it confuses the issue.

The simple fact is DWF can not take action without the express intent from Sainsbury's. If DWF have got hold of a phone number then they will use it to harass but if the call is recorded and unlawful activity is detected, the boot goes on the other foot as there are express laws about harassment and DWF would not like it if one of their staff made unlawful claims and this was released in court, the SRA may then become interested.

I understand what your saying foxy, but i see it differently, this approach is to try and put a stop to the bombardment before it gathers momentum,especially if someone is of nervous disposition regarding these matters.

It's an unlawful request for money with a threat of further action if you don't pay in 7 days, by simply putting it to them that if you believe this debt is due then you should comply with civil procedure or jog on, the ball is then in their court. I don't see how you will be getting into a spate, because it will do one of two things, they will carry on regardless or give up a bit sooner because they believe you maybe a bit clued up on the law, i don't see the downside by letting them know. that you know the whole thing is a ruse.

The ignore advise is what i would tell people if they can handle the threats be it by letter or phone, i can, you can but some can't handle the stress of that, so even if it's a 50/50 chance of stopping it dead in it's tracks as early as possible it has to be worth ago. nothing to lose, also you don't want to be getting in to the whole world recording of phone call etc etc to build an harassment case, then your really going off piste, of course they could just pay up and by tomorrow it's all over.

it would make I worse.

and would simply make them focus on trying to debunk what written

resulting in even more letters.

IGNORE THEM

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

At the end of the day, ignore completely, or send a letter giving a different address. What is certain is there is no actionable loss, so they can't do court anyway.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

It won't because if it fails you don't need to get into that issue with them, you just carry on as if you had ignored them in the first instance, that's why i believe you have no downside by playing that card.

However we will have to agree to disagree.

Read the hundreds of other threads here about dwf and rlp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Read the hundreds of other threads here about dwf and rlp

I have read most if not all threads on here and other boards and i have not come across one post that has said ' i challenged them to comply with civil procedure if they had reason to believe a debt is due' and i ended up in a worse mess than if i just ignored them in the beginning , if you can point me in the direction of one then please do.

It's been said many times on here that just ignore them, they won't follow through with the threats, there has been no court case since 2012, so what would they do differently if you challenged them on civil procedure? nothing if they took no notice of you, they would carry on regardless, you don't have to get into any letter tennis on the issue, just revert to option of ignoring them, if it works and it saves you a bit of harassment great if it don't you have not lost anything.

I don't agree with the one size fit's all advice of IGNORE, because as i have said some people can not deal with the threats, the worry of having them phone you, and yes CRS still use withheld numbers despite them not legally allowed to, a chance of stopping them early in the activity has to be a no brainer with no downside if it fails.

Waste of time only gives them a warm feeling of grandeur

When they have no legal powers whatsoever

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Waste of time only gives them a warm feeling of grandeur

When they have no legal powers whatsoever

I think i now understand why there is a reluctance to encourage people to use the civil procedure route on here

But i firmly believe shoplifting is an offence that should be dealt with by the police and through the courts if they want to recover any loses , not by some 5cummy debt collection agency speculative invoicing.

they are not a dca they are not ever registered with the fca for such activity

and they

Yep fair enough, i should of phrased it as 'Claims company'

But i firmly believe shoplifting is an offence that should be dealt with by the police and through the courts if they want to recover any loses , not by some 5cummy Claims company speculative invoicing

that's better know your enemy first not assume what they might be.

that's why we say ignore them.

dx

and they

They're not a claims.company either. It's a shady outfit preying on misinformation and the vulnerable.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The don't need to be.

DWF aren't a DCA so don't need any kind of registration with the FCA, nor are they a "shady outfit". DWF are a mostly well respected, multi national law firm.

That being said, they still can't do diddly squat to the OP.

You are correct in saying DWF are a 'mostly' respected outfit. This is the one area that lets them down. They have to be very careful on what they say as if they make claims that they shouldn't, the SRA may become interested.

Why any respectable firm accepts this form of, well, blackmail shouldn't happen.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

to continue to correspond would appear to give them some sort of credibility that they dont have

I would still advise ignoring them and make your peace with your mother over the episode.

As for who has been caused a loss over this, the answer is ME.

I own shares in most of the big supermarkets and all of the costs,

including the security costs come out of profits with would otherwise be my dividend

so if you feel like paying anyone then I will forward my details

and you can pay me if it makes you feel better.

crs are though https://paycrs.co.uk/

At what point does it become harassment to keep pestering you with threats of court action etc etc if you don't pay,

is it not illegal to make false claims?

especially against a 16 year old,

where even if they did want to make a court claim they couldn't.

they aren't threatening court

you have to read their letters very carefully with a degree of English literature...

their replies don't actually say will anything.

only what generally could happen in the case of an unpaid 'debt'

they might well be a DCA

but they don't know or more politely don't CARE

they spoofed the client out of £15 to send 3 scary letters.

go read the private parking debacles on the same ...

sadly, as with this 'CPR' rules bit..

you indicate again that you don't understand the complete picture..

you state 'illegal'

its not illegal as this is not a criminal 'matter'

it could or might well be 'unlawful' as its a civil matter

but there again, there is no civil matter for them to even consider

hence their stupid use of 'court words' in the DWP or RLP letters.

spoof from day one.

and they

Never indulge in letter tennis with DWF. As to illegality or unlawfulness of their actions, da dutti babylon aren't bothered, there are motorists they are more interested in penalising.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you yes i understand, the letters you get from http://www.ukcrs.com/ are more explicit though, empty threats maybe but certainly more explicit, they bang on about torts and mention avoiding court action if you pay up, and finish off by saying if you don't settle they will advise their client to commence court proceedings against you to recover losses, if that is not a threat of court action i don't know what is.

yes i have taken on board what you have said, i understand now why you apply the just ignore rule, but tell me this please, it must at some point become unlawful if you constantly harass a 16yr old with letters and phone calls making false claims you owe them money and will commence court proceedings if you don't pay, 6 months, 12 months, 2 years? they could essentially go on forever if they wanted to.

If you study a few cases reported in the media, where people have won in court against companies harassment, it is normally evidence of sustained unwarranted communications over a long period. I seem to remember one case where it was two or more years. But Judges have commented that people did not have to engage in a game of letter tennis. It is where numerous phone calls have also been received as well as letters, which seems to make the difference. So in order to win a court action, you would need evidence of a long period of letters and phone calls being received.

This is a game being played, where they assess effectiveness in communications gaining a return. If you respond, then they have you hooked and hope to persuade you that to enjoy a quiet life it would be better if you paid up. If you did not respond, letters would have stopped earlier.

There is one occasion that would be useful to write to DWF.

In October 2014 the amended CPUT regulations came into force and civil recovery was mentioned. Misleading actions can now lead to court claims against a trader. DWF are stating that the £150 for security costs IS misleading. They would have to break this figure down into its respective parts. Who decided to set the level at £150? I bet it wasn't Sainsburys'

Basing this assumption on the 2012 case, the most they could claim for is the security staffs hourly rate so, lets assume the guard is on £10 per hour and there were two guards dealing with the event and they took 30 minutes to deal with the shoplifter. This would equate to a total of £10. Form filling by another staff member. These are usually templated to assist the staff in filling them out so perhaps another hour?? That's another tenner. Admin fee for stationary and perhaps a stamp to pass this on to DWF. Let's be generous here and give them a fiver.

Taking that all into account, I figure that to be £25 in total. No other member of shop staff (not associated with security) were involved so no costs can be claimed. The judge may be sympathetic and allow a small amount to the upkeep of the CCTV system but that cost is an unknown so if DWF took court action they would have to get a full breakdown of the individual cost to the store. Not easy!

As this would be a small claim, solicitors costs (apart from the £50 ) cannot be reclaimed so to take court action, DWF would have to supply a solicitor who is likely to charge around £150 per hour plus disbursements PLUS if they need the guards to be there, that will cost the store. So even if they actually won the case, the most they are likely to get from the shoplifter is £35 plus court fee plus solicitor fee. Around £110. This means that DWF via Sainsburys' will have made a loss on the case.

This is the reason they don't take action. They have jumped on the US bandwagon without thinking about betterment which is not allowed in the UK

Any action that can be classed as misleading can also be harassing and DWF need to be very careful in their letters. They should know the law and act appropriately on it, not make things up.

Sorry for the mini rant :|

Exactly SF Quantum cannot exceed their losses.