• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unable to pay tax online or over phone. Car Clamped ruined Christmas

Sadface
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bought car on evening of the 7th December.

Car insured at dealership.

Attempted to tax at dealership but website wouldn't allow.

Drove car to gf's home and tried online unsuccessfully again a few times but thought must be a site issue.

8th left car parked and commuted to work.

Tried website but still not able

called DVLA number and attempted to pay online.

Was told i would have fill out information at post office.

Finished work after post office closed.

Had leave gf's house early next day for 2 week holiday before Post office opened.

Returned to UK on 24th late afternoon to find car clamped with local council enforcement insignia and clamping company information but no explanation of reason.

All telephone numbers went to voice mail.

Paid clamping fine through online service.

Rang every number and organisation i could throughout night.

No one could explain reason or remove clamp.

Stuck alone in gf's house

- she was with family on other side of country-

No food, freezing and missed all family Xmas duties with my grandparents who are 90+ years old and whom i am a carer of due to no trains running.

Car remained clamped until 29th!

Took visit to Local county enforcement office and then long wait and conversation with Local Council to determine DVLA had issued clamp.

6 Weeks later received further fine from DVLA.

Written long letter to explain situation, circumstances and overly distressing punishment for £30 tax i had on numerous occasions tried to pay.

Fully expect to get generic letter saying it was my fault.

If so intend on going to court or arbitration.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of court process?

Edited by Sadface

Whilst the above advise is brisk, it is correct. you either have to have a car taxed for it to be on the road (and that includes driving it from the garage to your girlfriends place -no excuses) or you have parked on private land, declare it on SORN and do not use it until it is taxed.

Pay the fine, learn from your mistakes and move on with life.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

because it is not their car any more so they dont care.

This is one of the nightmares with the new tax system, effing nigh on impossible to buy and tax a car straight away, you have to buy it and go back a week later to collect it when the company know it is taxed and insured.

problem for teh customer with that is what happens if the car sales people go bust or damage the vehicle in the interim?

Wandering slightly off topic I know but just letting OP know that I have some sympathy but that doesnt change the law nor offer any help to his current situation.

Why couldn't you tax your car?

Did it have insurance, a valid MOT and were you in possession of the green New Keeper Supplement of the V5C?

If so you should have been able to tax online.

If the system was down you still had chance to tax at the PO.

The fact you didn't (regardless of the reasons) wont wash with the courts,

and you will lose and just end up with more expenses to deal with.

As stated in OP:

-The online system would not allow me to tax the car.

-It had a valid MOT, I insured the car at the dealership and had possession of new keeper supplement.

-I could not however register tax online at either the dealership or at home.

I was not getting a answer why,

the page just sending me to the start of the process again and again,

I confidently expected the system was down/ under Ddos and would be sorted by the next day.

-I went to work early- pre 7am- and tried again around 2pm on the online system to the same result.

-It was at that point I called the DVLA phone line and was told I would have to go into a post office to tax but with no explanation as to why the first and second payment methods were not working for me.

-Thus the system was not down as a whole but just not accepting the valid registration details i was giving.

-Lastly I couldn't leave work until after 6pm and thus could not have gone to the PO that evening or before my early flight the next morning.

You are probably correct and a court will rule against me.

However any time, costs and fines will be worth the knowledge that my children will know their father was not the type of man just bend over and take what ever punitive, disproportionate and arbitrary decision a Government department makes.

I will also have the opportunity to address a supposedly impartial judge who can make a decision on a cases merit and extenduating circumstances.

Indeed if more motorist were willing to fight their case in the courts the DVLA would perhaps reconsider their revenue raising policies as no doubt their lawyer fees would be crippling.

Edited by Sadface

Hardly punitive, arbitrary and disproportionate. You knew that you would be going on holiday, you knew that you had to insure, MOT, and tax a car, and yet you still went ahead and bought it knowing you had less than 36hrs to complete this. You know that it is an offence to drive an untaxed vehicle on the public highway.

It makes no difference that your working day appears to be about 12hrs long, you have a lunch break, no?

As for lawyers' fees, well, *we* pay them via our taxes...

dont be silly. Neither will get you anywhere.

Thanks for opinions on my scenario. As a matter of principle I would rather go to court and fight with prospect of a larger fine than just roll over. I may bring a case myself to a small claims court.

["Hardly punitive, arbitrary and disproportionate. You knew that you would be going on holiday, you knew that you had to insure, MOT, and tax a car, and yet you still went ahead and bought it knowing you had less than 36hrs to complete this"

Thanks for your -limited- 'thoughts' Woad.

Yes I did know I was going on holiday soon after.

I also knew the car had a current MOT, insurance was a five minute call to sort AND car tax was a simple couple of clicks on a computer or smartphone.... Except it WASN'T! I tried that IT DIDN'T WORK and by the time the test drive and haggling was over it was after 7pm so I couldn't call the DVLA cause they were CLOSED.

You are correct I do work a long shift often over 12hours with another 2+ train bus commute (which how I pay my *tax*). If you actually read what I wrote I didn't call till after 2pm so my 30 minute lunch break- spent at my desk- was already over.

Its not punitive to charge £200 plus for a £30 tax fee?

Its not arbitrary to fine someone without checking their own system to see whether the offender had actually tried to pay repeatedly?

It's not disproportionate to have your car clamped for 5 days AFTER you paid to get it unclamped?

It's not total overkill to ruin someones Christmas for £30 pounds in taxes?

If you and your ilk still say no I suggest next time you go 4 miles over the speed limit (with not demerit points on your license) imagine you were to lose your car for 5 days. Or the next time you didn't indicate off a roundabout you were stopped from seeing your sick son for 4 days and given a massive fine.

Would you just bend over and take it??

Probably yes

-and that rather than Brexit, Trump or Mike Ashley is whats wrong with our society.

Government agencies such as the DVLA should be working for us- citizens/ taxpayers -and we should be holding them to account when they over-reach, overcharge and act without fear of resistance- rather than acting as unpaid jobsworths and cheerleaders on their behalf.

Edited by honeybee13
Personal insults removed.

["Hardly punitive, arbitrary and disproportionate. You knew that you would be going on holiday, you knew that you had to insure, MOT, and tax a car, and yet you still went ahead and bought it knowing you had less than 36hrs to complete this"

Thanks for your -limited- 'thoughts' Woad.

Yes I did know I was going on holiday soon after.

I also knew the car had a current MOT, insurance was a five minute call to sort AND car tax was a simple couple of clicks on a computer or smartphone.... Except it WASN'T! I tried that IT DIDN'T WORK and by the time the test drive and haggling was over it was after 7pm so I couldn't call the DVLA cause they were CLOSED.

You are correct I do work a long shift often over 12hours with another 2+ train bus commute (which how I pay my *tax*). If you actually read what I wrote I didn't call till after 2pm so my 30 minute lunch break- spent at my desk- was already over.

Its not punitive to charge £200 plus for a £30 tax fee?

Its not arbitrary to fine someone without checking their own system to see whether the offender had actually tried to pay repeatedly?

It's not disproportionate to have your car clamped for 5 days AFTER you paid to get it unclamped?

It's not total overkill to ruin someones Christmas for £30 pounds in taxes?

If you and your ilk still say no I suggest next time you go 4 miles over the speed limit (with not demerit points on your license) imagine you were to lose your car for 5 days. Or the next time you didn't indicate off a roundabout you were stopped from seeing your sick son for 4 days and given a massive fine.

Would you just bend over and take it??

Probably yes

-and that rather than Brexit, Trump or Mike Ashley is whats wrong with our society.

Government agencies such as the DVLA should be working for us- citizens/ taxpayers -and we should be holding them to account when they over-reach, overcharge and act without fear of resistance- rather than acting as unpaid jobsworths and cheerleaders on their behalf.

You might garner a little more sympathy had you not also added the following

"Either your just a DVLA troll, a grumpy the 'laws the law' robot or an imbecile. Probably all three."

And all of the above is nothing more than a strawman to distract from the FACT that YOU drove an untaxed vehicle on the public highway after buying it, and then left it - untaxed - on the highway.

YOU are the author of your own misfortune, no one else. DVLA fine people for having untaxed vehicles on the road, its called 'enforcement'; without enforcement, no would pay the tax. Don't get me wrong, I think we are taxed too heavily in this country, and VED is an insidious tax that doesn't directly benefit the motorists who pay it.

DVLA troll? Yeah ok, why on earth would DVLA be 'trolling' these forums. Tell me, why do you assume that someone who has a contrary opinion to yours must work for DVLA?

A grumpy robot? See above

An imbecile. Ah yes, lets resort to ad-hominen attacks. An imbecile because I disagree with you. Well, I'm not the one with a £200+ fine, a clamped car, and a ruined Xmas.

Woad,

I apologise for the last sentence of my previous post. It was rude and unbecoming. I certainly will not use those comments when I go to court.

However, your comments have previously have included as much sympathy as a slap in the face with a wet Mackrell. My posts haven't sought to garner sympathy rather provide a accurate account of a unfortunate, and I think unfair, series of events. What I wrote last night suggested you and others see whether you could relate to draconian measures of a similar nature imposed on minor violations.

Tax does need to be paid I totally agree. I'm furious because I wasn't able to using the DVLA's own systems (online, over the phone) - the only two options given on their own website. A fine of double the tax amount seems proportionate no?

If you don't pay council tax one month you're not fined 5x its value and unable to access your home. You are given a warning letter. Why is the DVLA's tax more worthy of such grand fines and actions than others?

It is your unwavering obedience to DVLA's money grabbing that makes it seems as though you are trolling. I'm all for people disagreeing but a, "computer says no" cough, attitude is exactly the type of person that would do well within such a organisation.

If you really think the punishments and hardships I've had due to unpaid a £30 tax were "Hardly punitive, arbitrary and disproportionate." I honestly have sympathy for you and your lack of empathy.

Perhaps I am an imbecile. I think I'd rather be a imbecile with principles and resolve than a wise man with no compassion. Rather than the straw man argument its a case of our choices to be either the tin man who walks tall or the cowering lion.

All the best for the Easter holidays I hope you are able to spend it with loved ones.

Edited by Sadface

My car has been off the road being SORN.

Took out a new insurance policy yesterday, went to tax online and was declined.

DVLA updated overnight and taxed online this morning no problems

You just have to wait for DVLA to update overnight with Insurance, MOT etc

I bought my car in June last year and there were 4 days between buying it and picking it up

They gave me a photo copy of the registration document so that i could tax it before i picked it up

So i taxed it the day before before i insured it, You can do that now when buying a car

Sorry, been through this when taxing my car on line the other day. They will not tax without a current MOT or insurance policy in place that will be already listed on the DVLA database.

If the car has been sold to you it no longer belongs to the dealer, and if already taxed that tax is non transferable to a new owner

Edited by obiter dictum