Paid for a hotel room via hotels.com - hotel charged me 2% card fee without my permission

abedegno
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2576 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I paid for a night in a hotel that I booked via hotels.com. The price shown by hotels.com and the paper invoice that I got from the hotel was correct - however I have subsequently checked by card statement and see that a 2% surcharge was applied to the booking.

Having checked the hotel listing, and the ts&cs I can see no detail of a 2% credit card surcharge anywhere and have printed out the website details as a permanent record.

Where do I stand on this legally? I was under the impression card charges must be clearly stated?

Thanks

Abe

Hi,

I paid for a night in a hotel that I booked via hotels.com. The price shown by hotels.com and the paper invoice that I got from the hotel was correct - however I have subsequently checked by card statement and see that a 2% surcharge was applied to the booking.

Having checked the hotel listing, and the ts&cs I can see no detail of a 2% credit card surcharge anywhere and have printed out the website details as a permanent record.

Where do I stand on this legally? I was under the impression card charges must be clearly stated?

Thanks

Abe

Yes that is required in the UK, but might not be the case abroad.

Where was the hotel ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I was under the impression that when you book a hotel using a booking site that the booking site takes the payment and the hotel invoices the booking site.

I travel back to the UK quite regularly and use either Agoda or Bookings.com who charge you the price on the screen and take the full payment at booking. Never seen a card fee on the websites or receits

I was under the impression that when you book a hotel using a booking site that the booking site takes the payment and the hotel invoices the booking site.

I travel back to the UK quite regularly and use either Agoda or Bookings.com who charge you the price on the screen and take the full payment at booking. Never seen a card fee on the websites or receits

Some hotels allow you to make a reservation on these sites and you don't actually pay until you have signed out of the hotel. The hotel will usually take all your details when booking in and they should provide their full terms/conditions including charges for using different credit/debit cards.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Charge back... Charges not recognised.

Hotel would have to prove by reg card \ booking.

Booking.com etc forward card details to hotel to charge. Most hotels preauth these i) to check card is valid not stolen, ii) to ensure funds are available.

Some hotels process these a couple of days prior to arrival as a deposit on account, others on Checkin when you will be asked to present card and enter PIN. PIN entry removes merchant liability shift as the card was in possession and was not keyed as in customer not present - no defense by merchant.

In all this booking.com laterooms, and others like charge a minimum of 12% commission to the hotel. Go direct to the hotel for a better deal, either web or call. Book room only. Usually on Checkin, you will be offered breakfast at a discount rate, between 5 and 7 £ per person. Don't forget the group loyalty scheme. Most schemes offer a comp bar drink on arrival.

I am an accountant for a multinational hotel group with > 10000 hotels worldwide. Always look at the hotel group website.

Consider also, that if a room is producing a higher rate (as not commissionable to an external agency) you are likely to get a better accommodation and or a comp upgrade if available- shouldn't happen but it does. A booking making 40 quid net, is always going to be allocated to a lower standard than a room generating 56...

And the free breakfast in the rate isn't free, it's built in as an allocation.... Maybe 5-7 per person.

But to the OP charge back the total cost,let the bank deal with it...

N

Hi,

I've tried contacting the hotel, and advise them what they have done is illegal, their response was:

any thanks for your information, and as we have discussed it before with World Pay, one of the larger credit card transaction banks in the world, we have been informed by them that is not illegal

I've given them a second chance to refund then, then I'll call Amex and charge it back.

Great it's Amex - they don't screw around it's not illegal but if you are not aware of the charge it's unfair.

Also amex charges the retailer the highest commission at around 3.5 % compared to visa master at 1.04 to 2.69 depending on card type.

They appear to be passing on the credit card commission cost. If they are doing this, please name and shame the hotel and it's group.

Or you could offer to pay on a debit card, that is generally a flat rate .25p.

When you do charge back , you will still need to pay for the service .

You may like to know that each charge back costs the business 25.00 through EMS and BMS....

If they continue to fight the charge back once it has been debited from their back, abitration through Visa Master for example will cost the company 500$ minimum if they lose. Most companies abandon at this point dependant on chance of success...

Insider secrets ....shhhh