How can I Track Down a Builder to redress poor work?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About a year ago we had some building work done which has now turned out to be sub-standard.

I have tried to get hold of the guy, but his home phone and email no longer work, and I suspect his mobile number has changed also.

All I have is a name, a bank account/sort code, and a post code. With the beauty of hindsight I should have never used a tradesman who didn't put his full address on his paperwork.

I have done a WHOIS lookup on his website, and I have a registered address from that, which is different (but close) to the "contact us" details on the website.

I`ve not been able to find anything on the companies house website - presumably the registered company is operating under a different name?

How do suggest I proceed in tracking down this builder?

You're probably doing everything you can.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is – what will you do if you find him?

What is the value of the work that he did and what is the value of making it good?

ok, so the plan is - if he refuses to recify the faulty work - to take him to small claims

The works themselves were £600 and the scaffold for access (different contractor) was £400 - I can see I might have issues with recovering costs for the scaffolding, but interested to hear what others think re supply of goods and services act.

In terms of making it good - I`m no builder but scaffold price will be same plus building works which could be as much as original works (£600)

he wont appear at companieshouse unless it is a limited company. Sole traders are just that and personally liable for all debts. However, if your builder has done a runner I would bet that he is no stranger to the small claims court so you can look him up at trustonline for a fee and see if he has any CCJ's. If he does dont throw good money after bad as you arent going to recover anything.

In Australia you need a qualification certificate to get a jobas a barman, let alone a builder. in this country and many others we dont value skilled trades the same way so anyone can call themselves a builder and off they go wrecking people's lives. Gives a bad name to those who do go through the CITB training schemes