Delta airlines

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long one so apologies.

Back in December last year . A relative brought tickets to travel to New York for their birthdays . They purchased through lastminute.com. They booked to go with Virgin, or so they thought.

Unfortunately, they made an error with the name and had to pay a charge of £40 to change it. ( their fault) we tried to check them in the day before, however we couldn't do it online, so I called Virgin. They advised us that even though we booked with them, my relatives would be flying on Delta metal. The reason we couldn't check in was because of the name change error. The res agent said, she had corrected it, but we would have to check in at the airport.

Next day, turned up at the airport hours before departure. Still a problem with the name, I called virgin res at the airport this time. Who said they were changing to a new computer system and it was in ' meltdown' . The check in agent advised that the ESTA was not completed for one of the passengers, although we showed her the confirmation letter.

By the time the agent had sorted that out, the flight had closed and my family were told they were to late, but they could standby for the next flight. ( funny enough all flights were overbooked!) they had to wait another 3 hours, and were separated into different seats.

I've contacted delta who offered them each a $75 voucher, only to use on their flights, my family will never use delta again, they are elderly and this was a one off. Delta advised us to go to the complaints body if we were still not happy. So we did, I sent every email and shred of evidence to the CAA, Delta wrote back saying it was virgins fault, but the CAA said ' Under Regulation EC 261/2004 it is the operating carrier that is required to pay compensation and not the airline the reservation is with. Therefore, as the flight was operated by Delta Airlines, please could Delta Airlines explain how the passenger was not denied boarding or confirm if you will be paying compensation."Delta did not respond. The CAA are exasperated and are willing to support us at court.

I put all this on 'FLYERTALK' as I assumed it would help to get advise from other travellers who travel frequently. I was surprised at the comments some made, calling the incident ' far fetched' and practically accusing me of Making it up and not understanding what the regulation means. ( I copied and pasted the whole letter from the CAA) one person also said we were stupid to book through a tin pot third party! ( I've always found lastminute very good) . I actually wonder if they really have ' passengers' on the forum, or is it airline people themselves.

I would really like some constructive non judgemental advise on what to do. Do we just leave it and never travel with Delta again or shall we try another avenue? This isn't really about the compensation now, it's more about how a company can advise a customer to go to a complaints body, yet the airline can ignore the issue anyway.

Hi

I have moved your thread to the correct forum. Carry on posting as normal

Difficult position you are in so I would hang fire until those in the know come along

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE