Barclays confirmed alias link

gavinc1979
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have an issue with Barclays that I'm struggling to resolve.

I applied to Barclays at the start of Feb for a new remortgage on my property.

The application was completed and submitted with the supporting docs to the underwriters.

I received an email a week later from the mortgage advisor stating that the fraud team had declined my mortgage based on defaulted accounts on my credit file. I was shocked at this as I haven't had any!

I immediately checked my Experian report to see what they were on about.

To my surprise there were two defaults.

One for a credit card and one for a phone account.

These were in a similar name to mine that consisted of the same DOB, first name and old address.

I rang Experian to query this information.

They have said that the reasons the defaults are there is because Barclays 'confirmed' the alias to be me and that has pulled through the defaults to my file.

The problem I have is that the two accounts were opened at my old address which moved out of in 2005 and the accounts were opened in 2011 & 2012.

I have complained to Barclays, but the response I had back from the fraud team was, i need to prove they are not mine and I didnt open the accounts.

I've reported it the police and got a crime number,

reported it to the credit agency,

signed up to CIFAS, and queried it with the companies themselves.

Barclays still say that isn't enough.

They say they have followed procedures correctly.

I don't see how they have if they have created an alias link on my file purely based on and assumption and without taking into account the fact I hadn't lived at that address for 6 years when the first account was started.

My question is,

what can I do?

so far they have refused to take any action or engage with me on this, just saying I have to prove it.

is there any legal way I can force them to break this link with the alias?

Because of this Ali's they believe is me, it has dropped by credit score from excellent to poor and now I can't get a mortgage at all.

Thanks

so its fraud..end off.

probably due to not telling all your creditors p'haps that you'd moved out and the next occupiers used the details on letters sent to that address to open accounts in your name.

always a very difficult situation to deal with.

send an sar to the credit card company and the phone company

when they refuse due to DPA issues.

return to Barclays and get them to prove the link when you are being refused the info.

it might pay you to give the ICO a ring and alert them too

and possibly the FOS as well.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You say that the name is similar to yours. Not completely the same?

Thanks for the advice so far.

The name concerned with the defaults and apparent Alias has my first name, my date or birth, my old address that I moved from almost 12 years ago, but uses my mums maiden name.

it's got to be fraudulent, which is why I reported it straight away.

The debt collection agency that holds the default for the credit card just told me to ring Experian and ask for the names to be disassociated as it's a different name ( Experian say they can't do that)

As for t-mobile the information they sent back to Experian say they have looked at the account and deemed it NOT to be fraudulent. Again, they haven't had how they have decided that considering the account was opened at my old address 6 years after I moved

Well you should certainly start sending an SAR to all parties involved, as advised above. You need to get as much information as possible and of course as DX has said, if any of them refuse to give you the information then that will be helpful to you as well.

Experian are quite wrong. Here's a form to start the process https://www.experian.com/uk/online-dissassociation-form.html

I gather that you were doing stuff on the phone here. I'm also pretty certain that you don't record your calls.

I suggest that you read our customer services guide and implement the advice there before you do anything else on the telephone with anyone.

I'm afraid it's going to take some time to sort this out and you probably want to reckon on at least two or three months and maybe a lot longer.

While you were getting all this information I suggest that you start making a complaint to the FOSAgainst Barclays, separate one against Experian and also begin a complaint to the communications ombudsman.

I don't really expect that any of these complaints will produce a result – but it doesn't cost you anything to get it started and it will add a bit of aggravation and complexity into it for these companies which might make them look a bit more carefully what they're doing

When you get some more information then let us know and maybe we can advise further steps.

Thanks for the replies and help. yes, using my phone for this my laptop decided it was a great time to give up this week!

No, not recording calls but I will start as I can see if something is said by one of these institutions I may be able to Use it.

It's so very frustrating and wrong that a bank and companies can damage you in this way and theb burden you with all this fallout when it's not your fault and potentially leaving you with a damaged financial history for years to come and simply walk away as if they have done nothing wrong.

Thanks again

Start accumulating all the information you can. This will help you get a full picture and you may be able to spot where some organisation has done something wrong or has not reacted correctly to your complaint.

Then we can help you take the appropriate action.