Notice Period When Not Specified

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been in a rental property for the past six years on a yearly lease basis.

We normally get given a new lease to sign every April but last year landlord didn't give us one so we've been without ever since.

Does this affect the notice we need to give the landlord as we are planning to move out this summer?

Also what notice is normal? I ask because I can't see anything in our previous leases that says anything about notice periods.

Been in a rental property for the past six years on a yearly lease basis.

We normally get given a new lease to sign every April but last year landlord didn't give us one so we've been without ever since.

Does this affect the notice we need to give the landlord as we are planning to move out this summer?

Also what notice is normal? I ask because I can't see anything in our previous leases that says anything about notice periods.

Assuming your last contract was a one year Assured Shorthold Tenancy contract you will now be on a "periodic tenancy".

Notice is 1 month if paying rent monthy, or four weeks if paying weekly. The notice period has to end on the last day of the rental month, so if you pay rent on the 5th of the month you'd need to give at least one month's notice ending on the 4th of a month.

It is a MIN of 1 cal month or 4 weeks, to expire on last day of rel rental period.

What exact date did last AST commence and does it state if rent is payable weekly/pcm/ other?

(AST Rent Due date is not nec the same date you pay the rent).

It is a MIN of 1 cal month or 4 weeks, to expire on last day of rel rental period.

What exact date did last AST commence and does it state if rent is payable weekly/pcm/ other?

(AST Rent Due date is not nec the same date you pay the rent).

The date on the last lease I signed in 2015 is dated 20th April (in fact thats the date on every lease I've signed at this property, the rent is payable monthly on the 20th of each month. Ive also found a letter that was written and signed by my landlord when we first moved in stating that we had paid one months rent rather than putting down a refundable deposit. Therefore I guess we are paying a month in advance if that makes sense.

The date on the last lease I signed in 2015 is dated 20th April (in fact thats the date on every lease I've signed at this property, the rent is payable monthly on the 20th of each month. Ive also found a letter that was written and signed by my landlord when we first moved in stating that we had paid one months rent rather than putting down a refundable deposit. Therefore I guess we are paying a month in advance if that makes sense.

OK so if you give notice between today and 19th April you could end the tenancy and move out on 19th May.

Obviously you do not make a rental payment at the start of the last month! So when you move out you will owe no rent and the landlord will have no "deposit".