Pret a manger - looking for 16-18 years olds willing to work for a sandwich !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can you believe this?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/25/pret-a-manger-looks-to-uks-teenagers-to-tackle-looming-staff-crisis

Sandwich chain to offer unpaid work experience to 500 young people to head off recruitment challenge posed by Brexit

Apparently not too many people impressed so now they are agreeing to pay them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/25/pret-criticised-offering-teenagers-sandwiches-exchange-work/

After online anger, Pret A Manger has scrapped plans to offer sandwiches to teenagers in exchange for their time on an unpaid internship.

The chief executive of the sandwich chain has been forced to promise to pay interns after members of the public threatened to boycott the sandwich chain.

Pret is said to be on the cusp of a staffing crisis, as just one in 50 of job applicants to the sandwich chain is British. If foreign workers avoid the country because of Brexit, or choose to return home, Pret could find itself short of staff.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

We dont know what is going to happen with Brexit and in any case, as I understand it - youngsters have to stay on at school/ college until they are 18 years old now.

All employees whether they are British or European are supposed to be paid the new living wage. It is wrong to say that British youngsters dont want to work, they simply want to be paid a living wage.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

could it be that the story was put out to just be a scare about the effects of brexit? Not at all unlike the output of Countryfile on the BBC. Yesterday it was the CAP and farming subsidies. They glossed over the fact that golf courses and my cousin's back garden attract a EU subsidy just for existing rather than growing crops.

[Pret] pointed out that the placements "are to give participants experience of what it's like working in the industry".

Well, the "offer" certainly does offer an insight in to the industry. Young people being taken advantage of with little reward for the work done. Scraps of food for a days work harks back to the feudal era when the serfs fought over crumbs from the lord's table.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Can I clarify on Citizenb's comment that the national living wage varies due to the age.

I think the national living wage for school leavers is woeful but I guess that is because the government wants to encourage them to stay in education.