council tax debt from estranged husband threat of arrestment!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks, first time here but i am in a sticky situation with Ipswich council.

Forgive the lengthy story but i think i need to let you know how i ended up like this.

My husband left almost 3 years ago and left me with a ton of debts,

not just CT, which my new partner and i have been working our way through them and thought when we got this years CT demand we were free of them.

a week later a letter from them stating that i owe £3500 from previous liability orders from 2008 through to 2012.

Now call me naive but at the time he dealt, or so i thought with all the major bills and although i did find out that we were in debt i had no idea how deep.

he even went to court a couple of times but on his own and all i was told was that its ok, got it sorted.

Now this threatening letter states at the end, if

'I' don't pay up i will be committed to prison !

Phoned council today and told them that my partner had wrote a letter explaining what the situation was and all she said back was, well we couldn't find him so it is all down to you to clear the debt.

surely this isn't right.

i told her i know of an address, his work address and bank account number but again was told nothing they can do. I

s this just them using me as an easy way out because they know my address etc ?.

I have sent the letter but would appreciate any ideas or help that anyone may have,

thanks in advance

Jayne

Ask for copies of all council tax demands for the period and full details of all the liability orders obtained. Send them a Data Protection Subject Access Request as well to get a full copy of the council tax records.

In order for you to to be subject to enforcement the council really have to issue a you with a summons for each year. If your name was never included then they will have to start the process again.

The question is why they have suddenly contacted you about this and getting a full copy of the councils record might reveal this. Perhaps your husband has told them to get lost and rather than try other enforcements, they will try to see whether you agree to pay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Where there's a joint liability on a property the local authority can pursue any of the liable parties for the balance

- they may pursue one person for the entire balance if they as an authority decide to do so.

It's highly unlikely they would pursue you without having previously obtained a liability order in your name but they can confirm it was granted if you ask them.

Craig

Thanks for the responses, yes i would imagine the liability orders were in both our names but it just seems so unfair that i should be the only party to be chased just because they find it difficult or cant be bothered to try find him. I have never had any further orders in my name only. personally i would have thought they could have contacted him even if it was at his work, then if nothing happens serve him with a court order or whatever. How can he just be allowed to ignore it and walk away scott free ?

If you don't want to be the easier target to get money from, then make the council provide the documentation to support enforcement against you. It might be a joint debt, but if you were never on the summons, then you might be in luck.

What we find on CAG is that many people moan about these situations and then don't bother to obtain information which might have helped them. Don't be one of these people, as you will end up with enforcement officers at your door knocking loudly at 6am, threatening to seize any car on your driveway. They can't force entry to your house, but can seize goods outside with a view to selling them to cover what is owed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread