DHL requesting payment for Duty and VAT

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a couple of letters from DHL, requesting a payment of £11 for Duty and VAT following the delivery of my order from China.

"In the event that we do not hear back from you within the next seven days, this matter will be passed to a debt collection agency working on behalf of DHL for further action, resulting in an administration charge being added to the account, If you have already paid this sum please accept our apologies for this communication."

Are we entitled to be provided with proof of payment to HMRC by DHL ?

Upon further investigation,

i can confirm that the Chinese retailer displays the following message on the product page of the purchased item:

"VAT Included! We have made arrangements with shipping courier to pay all VAT and import fees on behalf of you.

The price at the checkout is FINAL."

You need to take this up with the seller.

DHL are simply passing the costs of customs clearance onto you.

They pay this to make both your and their lives easier.

Otherwise you would have the hassles of dealing with this directly with HMCR.

As you have the package IMHO you are obliged to pay the fees they have paid on your behalf.

If the Chinese seller has stated this has been taken care of then you need to get them to sort this out.

If they take no action you then need to take this up with the platform they sold the item on (presumably eBay?).

But to prevent further hassles I would pay DHL first!

Then learn a salutary lesson that currently anything from outside the EU will attract customs duty, clearance charges and VAT.

When we finally leave the EU customs charges will be on everything from outside the UK - just like before we joined unless there is a reciprocal customs arrangement.

Sounds as though there is no certification on the product to show that the taxes have been paid. The vendor may well tell you that they have been paid, but how is DHL to know this?

Suggest you refer to the vendor in the first instance and obtain proof to show DHL for them to release the goods

Happened to my son with an import from the USA - he ended up paying DHL in the first instance and then got the vendor to refund the import tax and VAT

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

There will be an advantage to leaving the eU regarding VAT on freight charges as curently VAT is charges on when they first arrive in the EU rather than the UK

so there is a market for companies to set up in Europe and have a different subsidiary in the UK and only charge VAT on the last leg of the journey as the VAT for importing into the EU will be reclaimable.

For DHL they fly stuff into Germany from Korea (China goods go via Korea) so you only pay VAT on the last leg assuming DHL are honest decent people and dont trouser the money themselves.