House insurance when owner has died

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm the executor of a will and the estate includes a property. The relative has died just before the insurance is due to be renewed and I'm having problems finding cover. I'm being told that I can insure it as a second home once probate has been granted but until then I can't. I'm guessing that because I'm not the owner yet I have no insurable interest in their eyes.

I can't be alone in this situation. Is it really impossible to insure a property throughout the process of probate?

The existing Insurers will normally continue the cover. They just need a copy of the death certificate, legal document to confirm role as executor and alternative payment details.

If not, brokers like Home Protect have a product for this type of situation. Also Solicitors have access to Insurers who offer this type of cover.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks UB. This should be simple enough and probate shouldn't take long so I was hoping to get away without involving solicitors. I don't mind paying them - I do mind them dragging the process out for no good reason which has been my experience in the past.

I agree with Uncle Bulgaria, hightail, it shouldn't be too hard.

When my mother died, Swinton carried on the house insurance with no problem. I don't remember providing much information at all.

I only went to Home Protect on UB's advice when Swinton couldn't continue cover because the house had been empty for a while. They were very easy to deal with and I don't think they wanted any information from me.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I had a relative that died with a property in another country - the insurers in that country (that my relative had) wanted more money for very little cover. I was able to get a UK company to insure the property for much less and with good cover. As it took quite a while to settle the estate, upon renewal I got a different company for even less cost as I was not in so much of a hurry to find insurance. So there are companies out there that will do this sort of thing. I didn't need a solicitor to sort out the insurance and I wasn't even one of the executors!

This should be simple enough and probate shouldn't take long so I was hoping to get away without involving solicitors.

If you haven't had to do probate before, it is a fairly easy process as long as the finances are relatively simple and the estate falls under the Inheritance Tax threshold. Best to get the paperwork in sharpish before the fees go up in May.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/wills-and-probate/content/100543

• £300 for estates worth more than £50,000 and up to £300,000
  • £1,000 for estates worth more than £300,000 and up to £500,000
  • £4,000 for estates worth more than £500,000 and up to £1 million
  • £8,000 for estates worth more than £1m and up to £1.6 million
  • £12,000 for estates worth more than £1.6m and up to £2 million
  • £20,000 for estates worth more than £2 million

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If and when you get the cover in place, please make sure you don’t fall foul of any “uninhabited” policy conditions e.g. weekly visits, keeping the property & garden tidy or turning the water off/draining the system down.

Thanks all. Home Protect have been very helpful.

If you haven't had to do probate before, it is a fairly easy process

I have - twice myself and once using solicitors which is why I'm aware of the difference in just how simple it can be if you don't have a vested interest in making it look complicated :)

You are acting for the deceased for the benefit of all Beneficiaries.

You don't have to pay the Ins Premium etc yourself, just deduct costs from Estate valuation.

Ii property was bequeathed to an individual, transfer it as soon as Probate granted, or ask an EAt for a Probate valuation.

Dispose of it asap. The Insurer may well apply 'empty property' conditions after ~3 months.

I am a main beneficiary as well as executor. Half the house is left to me. Once I've got probate sorted I can insure it as a second home without problem while I decide on how to proceed.

You currently have an insurable interest in the property even without probate, so you could get a policy set up now. I was in a similar situation myself a couple of years ago, and managed to get a standard home cover policy from L&G without too much trouble.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I was in a similar situation myself a couple of years ago, and managed to get a standard home cover policy from L&G without too much trouble.

That's interesting, thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only person this had happened to.

• 3 months later...