RLP. ... can they take civil action against a 16 year old.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 16 year old niece stole a £5.00 purse from Primark. She had no intention to steal it she hung it over her wrist whilst shopping and forgot it was there. She was stopped by security after leaving the store. She admitted she had forgotten to pay. She was taken into a back office and questioned by 2 male security officers. One left the room and the other one searched her bags. She was told that if she admitted she had stolen the item they would let her go. But if not they would call the police and she would be prosecuted and have a criminal record which would follow her everywhere. My niece was extremely frightened and admitted the theft. They phoned her grandmother to ask permission to let her go. As she was leaving they said they would write to her. She then received a letter from RLP claiming almost £190.00.

I wrote to primark and the security company saying they had no right to interview my niece without an adult nor a female present. I also pointed out that they could not search her bags.

Primark and lodge security basically ignore my letters and RLP are still claiming the money. As my niece is only 16 I belive they acted unlawfully. I also believe that they are unable to bring a civil action against a 16 year old. The amount they claim is also disproportionate.

I am now at a loss how to procede. To speak to a lawyer is out of my niece's price range. But I do not think that this company should be allowed to act like this. They are acting on people's fear.

Can anybody offer any advice on my next step.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to CAG. I have moved your post to the shoplifting forum where you will get more tailored help.

Simple answer. NO!

Long answer to follow.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

RLP cant/wont take civil action against any age...whether your 16 or 96..do not engage with RLP.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Long answer.

RLP can do nothing. They may claim that they will wait until she is 18 and then take action. The ONLY action RLP can take is to write letters, nothing more. Only Primark can take action but the don't. It costs them far more to take action that they could ever hope to reclaim so they don't bother and leave it to RLP to do the dirty work.

It has been known for RLP to write to the parent/guardian of an under 18 which is in my opinion, just another scare tactic.

As your niece was under 18, there should have been an appropriate adult present before any action in the holding room.

In my opinion, ignore RLP and any tame debt collector who may come chasing. They can do nothing.PERIOD!

On to Primarni :!: If you feel this is worth enough to take on, write a formal complaint and send it to their head office. They may try and pass the responsibility on to the security company they use but that is a get out. Primark are ultimately responsible for the actions of their agents. They should also be brought to book over their assumption that everyone is a shoplifter and people don't make mistakes. Shameful

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

My research had led me to believe everything you have confirmed. I have complained to Primark and as you said they passed the matter into the security company. I raised my points regarding the legality of their actions and they ignored my letter.

Is it best to just ignore the demands from RLP? Somebody suggested sending a cease and desist letter claiming they were harassing my niece.

Thanks to everone for your prompt replies and advice. Any further advice always welcome.

Thank you

" Somebody suggested sending a cease and desist letter claiming they were harassing my niece."

Dont engage...only encourages further letter tennis.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ignore RLP completely. contact only encourages them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!