Spotless credit record - MBNA turned me down for a credit card???

katapigeon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if posting in the correct category. My issue is that first time in my life I have decided to apply for a credit card. A good friend of mine recommended MBNA as she has a very good experience with them. Turns out for some mysterious reason that MBNA thinks I do not qualify for their credit card. I never checked my credit score and don't really wanna do it.

Here's my history in a nutshell:

Living in London for 15 years, residency status, EU national.

NEVER applied for a credit card in my life before

Banking with Santander ever since opening my first account in England in 2005

4 bank account with my bank, cash card, current account with a visa debit card, savings account and credit card. Not much money in the first 3 accounts currently but never used overdraft, only once or twice my current account went into unarranged overdraft but only lasted a few days before my wages arrived into my account to balance it.

Been using my Santander credit card but always repayed the money in one payment. Currently I do have a small amount on it that I have not paid back yet, but I used that amount only 1 week ago so no repayments or anything else due on it yet.

Living as a private tenant, 18 months at my current address, 2 years at previous address

Part time employed for 7 years, been self employed before for 2 years, all taxes, NI, etc been always paid without delay.

Annual income 15K.

Recently my hours had been permanently reduced by my employer and I am only receiving pay per hour for my work, about 15 hours per week at the moment. Still in employment and job hunting, of course.

Also the most interesting thing is that time to time I am being spammed by other credit card companies such as American Express and etc by post, sending me their credit cards even though I don't even know where they got my details from as I have never applied.

When Santander gave me a credit card, I didn't apply for it, they asked me in the branch at the counter if I'd like one, I said 'yes', and they handed me the card.

If anyone got any tips or ideas what might be the issue, it'd be very helpful.... :???:

Oh, and I am not on the electoral roll register - if that counts, that's literally the only thing I can think of what might be the issue.

Why do you want another card if you already have a Santander one with hardly any balance ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, Thought I'd nudge this post and reply as best I can, although I guess others with better advice or more info will follow come Monday morning....

Your last sentence is most likely the main reason for the refusal,

NOT on the electoral roll is a main issue for lenders,

credit scores are only a small reason as to getting refused,

myself personally applied and was accepted only this morning for the exact same card company you have being refused by, and my credit past isn't one of the best,

Lenders also take into account past credit history, which you might already know about, and amount of credit available to the person applying.

I.E you might have several open accounts with used credit or credit available.

I note that you state that you have not had a credit card before,

then further into your post state that Santander handed you one without you even applying,

and other credit cards via post kinda strange.

Also notice that you reside in properties, are short, 18 months and 2 years, again this can impact on gaining credit due to instability of moving regularly.

Others will reply soon, but its the weekend so most likely during Monday onwards.

Best to get a copy of your credit reports?

in case there is information on there that you are not aware of.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

I never checked my credit score and don't really wanna do it.

Not much money in the first 3 accounts currently but never used overdraft, only once or twice my current account went into unarranged overdraft but only lasted a few days before my wages arrived into my account to balance it.

If anyone got any tips or ideas what might be the issue, it'd be very helpful.... :???:

Oh, and I am not on the electoral roll register - if that counts, that's literally the only thing I can think of what might be the issue.

It might be:

Affordability (total credit available v. Income)

Or not being on the electoral roll,

Or a default / the unauthorised overdraft

Or identity fraud / a CIFAS marker

Or a CCJ you aren't aware of,

Or any combination of one or more of the above (or any other reasons others can come up with).

I never checked my credit score and don't really wanna do it.

Absolutely!

Because you "don't really wanna" do the one thing that might give you the reason(s) you are looking for.

Why do you "not wanna" look at your credit report and instead want to hope people can use their psychic powers for divination of the reason?

not on voters

EU National..

100% the reason.

almost all credit will be refused because of those

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...