Car impounded by police due to Swinton Insurance NCD failure

WinnerB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Car impounded due to car insurer’s failure to transfer no claims bonus to new policy which led to the cancellation of my insurance policy.

My car was impounded by the Police this week, the reason, the insurer said they sent letters out asking for evidence of my no claims bonus and because they did not receive the evidence, my car insurance was cancelled.

1. I was not notified that my policy had been cancelled and did not receive any letters
  2. I have been with the same insurance company for over 25 years and they hold all the information about my no claims bonus electronically
  3. My quote was completed by telephone and the manager confirmed that the agent instructed that my no claims bonus be transferred to my new policy; this was not transferred

I was left stranded 40 miles from home. Cautioned by the Police, advised to pay £150 plus £20 for each day my car is impounded; that I could get six points on my licence and a fine of £300.

My car could be sold or scrapped if I do not collect it within 7 days.

Can I appeal against this and what action can I take against the insurance company?

Yes your Insurers are totally responsible for this and all costs incurred. You need to register an urgent complaint when they open on Monday. They can reinstate a policy cancelled by them in error and issue proof of the cover, which would allow you to retrieve the car and also provide to Police to stop prosecution. It is then a case of working out the compensation due to you, which the Insurers will have to pay.

If not you can take them to court and win. It will then cost them more.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Contact your insurers as advised. Get proof of cover as advised. If you are prosecuted then plead not guilty and produce the letter from the insurer showing that you were insured at the time.

Start assessing all of your losses on this – including loss of time and a figure for the inconvenience.

Warn your insurer that if they will not indemnify you completely for your insurance and also all of your losses that you will sue them for treating you unfairly under ICOBS.

Please will you tell us which insurer this is. Please keep us informed of developments and we will help you take whatever action is necessary

If you have a problem with the Swinton Branch manager, contact Swinton head offuce

https://www.swinton.co.uk/contact-us/complaints/

Swinton are a brokers, owned by a large French Insurers. If they speak to the underwriters of the policy, advising them of the mistake in cancelling the policy, they should gain authority to reinstate the policy and sort this out for you.

The problem might be that the Swinton manager is protecting their branch and therefore is not doing what they be. Hence why you might have to contact their head office.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Contacted customer assistance. Initially advised that my policy could not be reinstated if cancelled.

I warned them that I would be suing and taking it to ICOBS.

I asked to speak to someone who could make a decision to reinstate my insurance.

She told me she could make the decision and a cancelled policy cannot be reinstated.

I insisted on speaking to someone higher and was told it was with a technical manager and he would call me back, but she could not confirm it would be today.

I informed her I needed a decision today or I would be looking to sue Swinton and take it to the ICOBS.

Is it worth contacting the CEO, I have his email.

Manager rang back and said he had only received the complaint today and needed a couple of days to get back to me.

Manager said if Swinton is at fault they would re-compensate me.

I warned him that I would be looking to take further action against Swinton.

Agree Swinton can resolve this. Insurance can be reinstated with permission of the underwriters and certificate of insurance issued to get the car out of the pound, as well as satisfy Police you did have Insurance when they stopped you.

The letter says it's his final response and refers me to the Financial Ombudsman.

I have no insurance and only days to get my car may be scrapped.

Could I take it to ICOBS now?

Hi

I would insist that the insurance is backdated to when they failed you resulting in the seizure. If you take out insurance with another company, I doubt the period you were uninsured will help you get your car back.

You don't have to go to the Ombudsman but you must follow the pre action protocol in an attempt to place you back in the state you were in before Swinton screwed up. Also, you are not taking them TO ICOBS. This is the rulebook they must follow. You are taking court action due to a breach of ICOBS.

A letter before action is a must, laying out your grounds and what you want them to do about it and what will happen should they fail. You also need to work out what losses you have suffered and a level of compensation you would be willing to accept from Swinton before even thinking of court action.

Hopefully, the letter will help you get the car back but you must have ongoing insurance to get it back.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Swinton are just Brokers ( but owned by a large French Insurers). Who actually were the Insurance underwriters ? Have you thought about contacting them, asking them whether they can help .

If Swinton have admitted it wa their fault, i cannot understand why they are not resolving this. Perhaps a call to their Manchester head office asking to speak to their Director of customer services to make an urgent complaint. They can resolve this easily.

Sounds like the Swinton branch manager is trying to cover their backside, but they are making it worse for themselves.

Thank you silverfox1961

Do you have a template of a letter before action?

No templates as such as every case is unique. Bankfodder has the right knowledge to assist you. There are a couple of threads where he has helped. I will try to find them

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

This is one where a motor bike was involved. The principles are still the same though.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?472019-MCE-Insurance-cancelled-policy-on-a-technicality-Conviction-quashed-ICOBS

I have a letter from Swinton accepting full responsibility.

Now to find another insurer to get me car out of the police impound.

There appears to be a bit of defeatism going on here.

You have a letter from Swinton admitting it was their fault, but they are not helping you further.

Get onto Swinton Head office and demand to speak to their Head of customer service. They can get this all resolved with a couple of hours.

Thank you silverfox1961 and unclebulgaria67.

Swinton is underwritten by Zenith and I cannot get through to the underwriters, no contact details.

Called Swinton but the Distribution Director is at lunch and not available until next week.

More contact information for Swinton

Principal place of business

Address:6 Great Marlborough Street ManchesterLancashire M1 5SW UNITED KINGDOM

Phone: 44 01612361222

Fax: 44 01612368489

Email: [email protected]

Complaints

Contact Name Julie Daniels

Address: 6 Great Marlborough Street Manchester Lancashire M1 5SW UNITED KINGDOM

Phone: 44 01612333770

Fax: 44 01612367102

Email: [email protected]

Contact(s) responsible for insurance mediation

Gilles Normand

Basic Details