Self employed and council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know every council around the country has different rules and criteria regarding council tax credits (CTC) now, but mine has done something which I think is absurd.

They have said that if you have been self employed for more than 2 years then for CTC purposes they are going to assume you earn a minimum of 35 hours per week at the national living wage regardless of what you do actually earn.

Last year I had to pay approx. £39 a month toward council tax which was £138 a month, because of these changes and council tax going up as well, I am no longer entitled and have to pay the full £153 a month regardless of what I earn, just because I have been self employed for more than 2 years.

Is this even legal for them to do this, I was quite ill for a good 7 months of last year, on and off and my net earnings for the year was less than 3k.

This year obviously I hope to improve on that although its not been the best start to the year as I lost my mum in January and it hit me for 6.

I am dreading how I am going to be able to jump from £39 a month to £153 a month when actually my financial situation has not changed for the better as yet.

Is there anything I can do.

Providing the limitations they place fall within the boundaries of the scheme they are allowed to implement then they are free to make the rules as they see fit. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything within the rules which would prevent them from doing this. You can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal but they can only ensure that the council scheme is within the bounds of legislation and that they are applying their own scheme correctly.

The 'deeming' of income after a set period for self employment is the way the government want to move for all state benefits.

If your financial situation is a problem then you can look at claiming a Section 13A (1c) discount in addition to any Council Tax reduction.

Craig

The letter did state that if in receipt of Careers allowance then would be exempt, but didn't say who, as in me or my wife, My wife gets careers allowance, council tax has both our names on it, so to me, we should be exempt from this, finding an additional £115 a month is no easy task and I don't want to get in to council tax debt again, I had 4k debt once and took me 2-3 years to pay it off.

tezza, give them a phone.

I was due them over 6 grand a while ago and it was a nightmare trying to pay it back.

Sorry, just re-read your 1st post so my suggestion's no that great.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert