HELP! - Amazon - Faulty item - Delivered 22 March 2015 - Malfunctioning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Ordered and had delivered on the 22nd of March 2015 - a brand new shiny bread maker - from Amazon - £70 (special offer).

It's malfunctioning - getting worse with time - and since all user errors have been ruled out - I ask for guidance from forum members.

Manufacturer warranty was only 12 months - so that would have been March 2016 - but I hear something about E.U rules stating 2 years for retail items?

Have I understood correctly? Is there anyway to have these manufacturing defects remedied?

If yes - what are the steps I should take - with whom and in what order?

I am very grateful to any that choose to contribute and to guide me in resolving this headache!

Libertas.

Your purchase is subject to the rules in the Sale of Goods Act because you bought the item before October 2015.

You are entitled to expect that the breadmaker is a satisfactory quality and stays that way for a reasonable period of time.

You don't need to worry about the manufacturers warranty and you don't need to worry about EU law.

Amazon are normally very good although with an item 2 years old and of no great value, they may dig their heels in.

Of course you have had some value out of it as well so even if it was considered to be defective, any refund you got would be reduced to reflect the fact that you had been enjoying the use of it for a certain amount of time.

It's really scarcely worth making any big fuss about, I'm afraid. I think that I would run it past Amazon and hope that they would take a reasonable customer-facing view but I think probably the best you would expect would be some kind of credit on a future purchase.

I can imagine that is scarcely worth repairing. However, you never know, Amazon might come up trumps and might tell you to send it back for a replacement though I doubt it.

Your consumer rights are probably better than that but given its value and the reduction for the use that you have enjoyed and the effort in trying to assert your rights, I wouldn't bother going for anything more.

agree that 'amazon are normally very good'

and, in cf., that it has been 2 years

unless it was an inherent fault....

agree that 'amazon are normally very good'

and, in cf., that it has been 2 years

unless it was an inherent fault....

Machine is definitely inherently defective.

It is the temperature sensor - which is deep inside the workings of the machine.

Using the same products and directions - we used a clone machine - and put both to the test side by side.

The other machine came out with predictable - repeatable successes. My machine came out with failed bakes, poor rises and inedible results.

It is a factory defect. It is not something the user can damage.

Does this clarification open up new possibilities?

i agree with bankfodder.

when i asked about 'inherent' i mean a fault from the point of manufacture that wld apply to all of that particular product, not just yours. you are saying yes to that?

but, as bank suggests, you seemed to have had (some) satisfactory use of it for 2 years.

and when did it start going wrong, 'getting worse with time'.

Well we have tried to explain your rights to you and also the difficulty you will have of enforcing them in this situation. It would make no economic sense for you to start taking action on this with a very uncertain outcome unless you could provide proper independent expert evidence of the defect – and all that simply to win £70 – less a reduction for the use you have had.

The only sensible thing to do here is to approach Amazon nicely about it and hope that maybe they will give you some kind of credit. If you are extremely lucky maybe they will replace it – but it's pretty unlikely.

We try here to tell you what your rights are and how to assert them, but we try to give you sensible pragmatic advice as well.

If Amazon is unhelpful then frankly the best thing to do is chuck the machine out and forget it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: My thanks to each of you that contributed. You were correct that Amazon was quite good about the situation.

Gave me the option of simply replacing it (with the caveat that the warranty was over and null from hence forth)

or

Purchase afresh - have it specially discounted to the originally paid price (due to the multiple errors Amazon had made on my account previously) - brand new (identical) item & warranty. I went for this.

Obviously I have to return the old defective unit.

So thank you all again.

Remaining issue - new unit arrived - clearly manhandled roughly by courier. It suffered Impact damage that went right through to the unit itself. Plastic piece snapped off.

Naturally - it had to be replaced. I told amazon - please please improve the packing of the replacement - call down to the warehouse floor and talk to someone there. The local Heremes delivery cell have a bad rep in this area for manhandling packages.

Well - you've guessed it - the replacement has arrived and it too has been manhandled and mistreated in transit. Thus far I have only opened the amazon box, and pulled out the unopened product box. The unit remains unopened.

The product box has impact damage. Amazon had just packed it the same. No additional measures.

This is getting frustrating - I would like some help and advice at this point please. I warned them to package the item better before sending out the replacement - no joy.

I need Amazon to deliver a working - unmolested/mishandled unit. I ask the forum for approaches I can take to get this episode behind me.

Lib

Edited by Libertas
Spellingness