Smart Meters...Discussion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Selling?they should be fitted free

I'd be getting them done

Best thing I ever did last year

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...they should be fitted free

directly, but not indirectly. not quite for 'free' for some as scot power partly blames the 'free' fitting of smart meters for their increased rates. no doubt other suppliers will follow, if they get away with justifying their rate increases re..

I am fairly sure that the government subsidises the fitting of SMART meters. What they do not tell you is that the Smart meter may only be compatible with your current supplier and will not work with another supplier. In addition, they cannot take readings if you live in an area with poor mobile reception. We have found that out the hard way and are trying to get the normal meter re-instated.

I am fairly sure that the government subsidises the fitting of SMART meters. ........

which is why on its face they are 'free'. but, 'costs' will be indirectly recouped. as scot power apparently said...

'Scottish Power has said it is raising its dual fuel prices by an average of 7.8% from 31 March. It blamed smart meters and low carbon energy costs for the rise...' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38931218

However it now appears that only the supplier that fitted can read the meter remotely so if you change to a cheaper supplier there is a very good chance that they cannot read your meter remotely. Makes you wonder why the government is so keen for you to have a Smart meter fitted and then to be sort of "locked" into one supplier when on the other hand they encourage you to switch?

any supplier can read your meters they just need the PAC code that's embedded

and should be requested when you move.

if you've not already got it in the pack you got when the meters were installed

mines also written on the sticker on the front of it.

now if you other supplier has the software to interpret the data is another matter !!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

CUSTOMERS were being quoted thousands of pounds for one DAY’s worth of gas and electricity due to a cock up with one energy company’s smart meters.

Panicked consumers began posting pictures of their devices, given to them by energy provider SSE, on social media – with one showing a charge of almost £20,000 for a single day’s usage.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3013040/error-causes-sse-smart-meters-to-tell-customers-theyd-spent-20k-on-gas-and-electricity-in-just-one-day/

Usman Hussain, whose meter suggested he had used £9,576.98 of energy on Friday, wrote on Twitter: "Think my SSE Smart Meter for energy and gas may be having slight problems! Either that [or] a neighbour has started nicking my leccy or gas."

For the reading to be accurate, Mr Hussain would need a home bigger than Buckingham Palace - which, with 775 rooms, was billed £1m for a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39169313

Apparently a glitch in the system.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Who knows if these "smart" meters would add a few kwh a day because of a glitch and add the undetectable sum of £300/400 a year to the bill?

Surely not ? :-)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Oh no I have only just had Smart Meters for Gas & Electricity fitted last week by SSE

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Oh no I have only just had Smart Meters for Gas & Electricity fitted last week by SSE

Good luck to you.

SSE has been bombarding me with letters and emails for ages to get a smart meter.

Must be because I only pay £30 a month and at the end of the year I'm always in credit.

I would never trust something that can be controlled remotely by money grabbing organisations.

Good luck to you.

SSE has been bombarding me with letters and emails for ages to get a smart meter.

Must be because I only pay £30 a month and at the end of the year I'm always in credit.

I would never trust something that can be controlled remotely by money grabbing organisations.

I pay quartely, because i would rather budget for energy, than have an energy company via DD think they have some control over me. When you pay by DD they might give you a 1% reduction, but then it comes with an unattractive deal. They monitor your usage and keep adjusting your DD payments to suit them i.e to have a credit balance. When i paid by DD, i seemed to build up a credit that equalled about 3 months worth of supply. If most people are building up credits of this size, then it is creating massive credit balances for energy suppliers and they are benifitting by much more than the 1% they give you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I pay quartely, because i would rather budget for energy, than have an energy company via DD think they have some control over me. When you pay by DD they might give you a 1% reduction, but then it comes with an unattractive deal. They monitor your usage and keep adjusting your DD payments to suit them i.e to have a credit balance. When i paid by DD, i seemed to build up a credit that equalled about 3 months worth of supply. If most people are building up credits of this size, then it is creating massive credit balances for energy suppliers and they are benifitting by much more than the 1% they give you.

Very true, but with the numbers of bill one has to pay, I find direct debit the easiest option.

They make a profit by keeping customers in credit, but they make huge profits anyway.

Just something I came to accept as an unfair fact of life which saves me keeping more records of payments to be made.

Very true, but with the numbers of bill one has to pay, I find direct debit the easiest option.

They make a profit by keeping customers in credit, but they make huge profits anyway.

Just something I came to accept as an unfair fact of life which saves me keeping more records of payments to be made.

When i paid by DD, i had a credit build up sometimes up to £200. This would reduce depending on use over the Winter period.

What i do now is put aside the approx monthly usage and pay on the bill. It gives me more flexibility and i don't have the hassle of communications regarding adjusting DD payments up/down depending on weather conditions. The energy companies seem to want to adjust the DD payments regularly.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...
which is why on its face they are 'free'. but, 'costs' will be indirectly recouped. as scot power apparently said...

'Scottish Power has said it is raising its dual fuel prices by an average of 7.8% from 31 March. It blamed smart meters and low carbon energy costs for the rise...' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38931218

I dont and wont have a smart meter, and dont accept that the UK government is meeting its green energy or low carbon commitments, so should I assume I am absolved from paying that 7.8% increase?

Particularly as the government says the big 6 are ripping us off already

I already have a little plug in (free from one of the suppliers tears ago) that shows me for MY benefit what electricity I am using without others getting even more info about me that is NONE of their business.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Guest Mrs Hobbit

No smart meter in this house either. It is not compulsory. The smart meter situation has not been introduced with due care.

I read my meters, I supply the energy firm with those readings and pay the bill when presented. I have a spreadsheet for Leccy and Gaz usage The supplier did send out a meter reader to check my figures. We have low usage, so Ii think they thought I was giving false readings..

I will never bundle anything and be tied to the one supplier for everything.

so should I assume I am absolved from paying that 7.8% increase
shld be, at least 'partly'. if someone doesn't have a smart meter then why shld their rates increase to cover its indirect cost that a supplier says it wants to recoup re the increase.

they've all been putting up their rates, one after the other. wonder if the offgem will do anything...

shld be, at least 'partly'. if someone doesn't have a smart meter then why shld their rates increase to cover its indirect cost that a supplier says it wants to recoup re the increase.

they've all been putting up their rates, one after the other. wonder if the offgem will do anything...

and apologies to everyone in advance, but I just cant resist

and who wants the CIA killing you via remote control of your meter ? (switch the gas on then flip the leccy on and off till it go BOOOM)

ooops thought Vlad the Putin was visiting you Mr Farage. What do you mean your name isnt Farage?

See the conspiracy thread

On a more serious note and a point I've made before,

WHO wants people like NPower or Scottish Power with the power to just switch off your gas and electric at the click of a key-press 100 miles away when THEY make a mistake?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

don't think they can remotely cut you off

technically that introduces a very dangerous gas installation

..as a gas valve would need to held open all the time

dunno about anyone elses meters but mine aren't mains driven

so where are they getting the power from to hold a gas valve open>

so theres a powercut and you've no gas?

tin foil hat..

and they

#So your electric meter isnt mains driven then dx100 ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?474970-First-Utility-giving-out-my-personal-details-to-a-3rd-Party&p=5007532#post5007532

Abstract—We’re about to acquire a significant new cyber-vulnerability. The world’s energy utilities are starting to install

hundreds of millions of ‘smart meters’ which contain a remote off

switch. Its main purpose is to ensure that customers who default

on their payments can be switched remotely to a prepay tariff;

secondary purposes include supporting interruptible tariffs and

implementing rolling power cuts at times of supply shortage

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/.../remote-disconnection-and-ppm-guidance-open-letter-1...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjChp-J5dbSAhVqDMAKHUopA844ChAWCBkwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ofgem.gov.uk%2Fofgem-publications%2F57395%2Fremote-disconnection-and-ppm-guidance-open-letter-160810-pdf&usg=AFQjCNHC9KfJ42mAoen4tQZPEE5Xoyesrw&bvm=bv.149397726,d.ZGg

Abstract

It is essential that, where remote disconnection and remote switching to prepayment terms are technically possible,

rose coloured blinkers ?

or just rose tinted glasses?

and before any says the guidance says it should be done only when safe - we are talking about Npowers competence here ...

The Tory Legacy

ooops - that first link should be a Cambridge University report

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjChp-J5dbSAhVqDMAKHUopA844ChAWCBkwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ofgem.gov.uk%2Fofgem-publications%2F57395%2Fremote-disconnection-and-ppm-guidance-open-letter-160810-pdf&usg=AFQjCNHC9KfJ42mAoen4tQZPEE5Xoyesrw&bvm=bv.149397726,d.ZGg

quick and dirty link

additional summary info

AMI (Advanced Metering Infrastructure) enables two-way wireless communication between the utility and the meter. Enables remote shut off & control of appliances.

AMR (Automatic Meter Reading- or ERT) meters are typically wireless one-way meters that report usage to utility personnel in a vehicle with a handheld device. Includes ‘bubble up’ meters that transmit all the time, and ‘wake up’ systems that transmit when they receive a signal.

The Tory Legacy

link sorted..

and so they should be able to do so with electric

if you wanna avoid paying your bills that's your problem

refuse entry to fit a pre payment meter that's your problem

but to use that as an excuse not to have smart meters is tin hat

the smart gas meter is not driven by any external power source

so they cant shut your off as there no power to hold the valve open

and they

2nd link is 7yrs old

its changed since that consultative doc

and they