Caught shoplifting at Primark - Police involved but no action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

Today I got caught shoplifting from Primark as I was making my way out.

The RLP sent me to a small room in which they told me to put everything I stole on the chair next to me (total was about 44€ - I'm from Portugal).

I did as I was told and then police came up after 20min. Then we went to the police office, they checked if I had any record of previous thefts, debts, etc (which I didn't).

Then they told me I was free to go but I'd probably receive a letter from Primark to go to court.

My questions are: what's more likely to happen - not receive a letter at all, receive a letter to go to court and/or pay a fine?

Thank you so much for your attention

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

you'll get silly letters from a lot called RLP

you TOTALLY ignore them

they have no legal powers.

simply read a few threads in this forum and all will be revealed..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for the quick response!!

I've been reading a few threads in here, but most don't involve the police... I figured it would make a difference, perhaps?

What if it's a letter from Primark telling me to go to court?

think you must of heard them wrong ...

you weren't charged

you weren't cautioned

end of their involvement.

primark don't do court.

they pass it onto the rent a dogs RLP.

end of your issue

you simply ignore them totally

now be a good person and don't do it again..!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

For sure I won't do such thing again... It was really dumb and stupid of me.

The police can't prosecute me if I ignore the letters? I'm asking this because I gave my real address, number and I suppose they could track me down?

Hi and welcome to CAG

Let me dispel the myth. Although the police were involved, no CRIMINAL action will be taken as you got a warning. This warning will be held by the police should you be silly enough to try it again.

Primark will not send you any letters.Period.

You will get begging letters from RLP but you can totally ignore them as they have no lawful standing. The letters will state they are acting on behalf of Primark and say that each case costs between £300 and £500. This is also a myth as they have never backed this up with evidence.

All Primark could claim from you IF they did decide to take you to a CIVIL court is the costs of any lost goods, a small admin fee and the court costs so they would look at around £100 tops.

As it is, I have heard of no court cases taken by any retailer in the last five years. The reason being that they cannot prove the losses they are claiming for which is why RLP send the begging letters.

It would be worth scanning them when you get them and post on CAG to see if they have changed recently. Please ensure that if you do, you erase all identifiable details.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thank you so much!

If I do get any letter I'll post it in here.

So it's still possible that I receive a letter in order for me to go to a civil court and pay a small amount, from Primark? If so, it is likely that I receive such thing?

no ignore

and they

Thank you so much!

If I do get any letter I'll post it in here.

So it's still possible that I receive a letter in order for me to go to a civil court and pay a small amount, from Primark? If so, it is likely that I receive such thing?

NOPE!

In 2012 a retailer with the egging on from RLP took a case to court which was fully defended. the retailer lost and RLP lost all credibility. This is the reason Primark will not take any action so don't even worry about that.

Concentrate on the letters from RLP as they are worded in such a way to make you believe they have more power than they really have (which is none) Read them and read them again but with a suspicious mind. Remember, RLP say words like 'may' or 'if' which mean nothing.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

"All Primark could claim from you IF they did decide to take you to a CIVIL court is the costs of any lost goods, a small adminicon fee and the court costs so they would look at around £100 tops."

What about this that you stated?

Also, is there any chance that the whole process is different in Portugal?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm a little worried (and ashamed as well).

Ah! You said you were from Portugal which we assumed to mean that you were in the UK from Portugal. All advice here (apart from one section) is based on UK civil law.

As most of Portugal is now governed by EU law, there may be differences.

As it stands, I still don't feel that RLP can do much to you. I therefore suspect they won't even write to you as you are not in the UK. It all depends on what laws are in place in Portugal for loss recovery. I suspect it is basically the same as the UK

even less chance then

and they

If they don't have a UK address for you less than zero they can do.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

so this was a primark store in Portugal then I assume.

nothing to do with 'RLP'

you just used that name for their staff that caught you.

and they

Whilst this is on overseas issue, it would be good if we could see any letters that arrive. This would give us some idea of what they can do and we can investigate any company as well.

Most countries in the EU have a common set of laws and others to suit their own country. I haven't yet found any civil laws on restorative justice for shops to use but I will keep looking.

if it goes to court than that may well happen. However, they are unlikely to want to do that as it will cost them a small fortune to prepare a case and they wil get nothing back ant the end. More likey they will use a debt collector to ask you to pay them but the money goes to the debt collector, not Primark so again all a waste for the store company

I think Primark operates differently in Portugal. From what I've read, I'll receive a letter saying to go to court and then I'll probably have to pay a fine.

I've contacted Primark about the issue and I was told that it would only go to court (in aprox 6 months) if the RLP from Primark receive a police report from the incident (which they hadn't received, so it was probably archived).

Later I called the police office and the officer basically told me to "forget about the incident and move on".

So what I conclude is that if you have no criminal record, debts, etc, thus being your first time shoplifting AND if it's a small amount, the police in here will very likely archive the incident and no action will be taken.

ta da!!

and they

I've contacted Primark about the issue and I was told that it would only go to court (in aprox 6 months) if the RLP from Primark receive a police report from the incident (which they hadn't received, so it was probably archived).

Later I called the police office and the officer basically told me to "forget about the incident and move on".

So what I conclude is that if you have no criminal record, debts, etc, thus being your first time shoplifting AND if it's a small amount, the police in here will very likely archive the incident and no action will be taken.

Well done for chasing this up and updating us. Just goes to show how shady RLPand Primark security are

Primark are wrong about RLP's involvement in anything, you go to court if the police pass a file on to the CPS and they decide if there is enough evidence for a likely conviction and if prosecution is in the public interest.

The only private bodies who can instigate criminal proceedings are the RSPCA and the TV licence people

Perhaps Primark think that RLP sue people. they cant as they have no locus standi.- bit like an estate agent cant force you to sell your house just because they have found a potential purchaser.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.