Council emergency accommodation arrears from 2003

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just received a letter from Agilisys Revenue asking me to contact them to update my address details confirming that I stayed at a bed and breakfast.

i went into B&B with my 3 children in 2001, i was on full HB as i was single parent of 3 school children.

I assumed that I didnt owe anything when i was moved to temporary accomodation 2 years later..

.I did have contact from the temp housing services a couple of times over the next few years saying that I owed over £1000 ,

(dont remember exact amount but i questioned it as i was on full HB and was told it was the £30 per week that i received food brought by the letting agent.

I then told them i refused the food after 2 weeks as it was of the lowest standard possible .

. from a shop called Kwik Save and their basic range of cereal, bread, sugar, tea bags, and milk which when i went in store at the time and added it up came to about £3.50 ,i refused it and bought my own food.

I was then told I should have informed them, and i thought the dodgy letting agent should have done this anyway!

I agreed back in 2007 to pay what i could and i believe they were taking £2 a week from my benefit for about a year but i then needed a loan from social fund to buy a fridge and wardrobe so they couldnt take it anymore as i was paying back the maximum to social fund .

Long story short

I moved into permanent housing in 2011 and they last contacted me about 4 yrs ago,

i told them i couldnt pay anything as i didnt have enough money after bills etc were paid and i heard no more until this letter today.

My question is this,

can they force me to pay this debt as the original amount was from 14 years ago?

Short answer is NO!

Are you still in the same local authority area?

DO NOT talk to them over the phone, deal with this in writing ONLY!

When did you last pay anything to the local authority?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you Bazooka Boo.

Yes I'm still under same local authority,

they have always known my address,

i last paid about 4 or 5 years ago (deducted from my benefit but it was stopped as i had maximum dedustions taken from debt with Thames Water) and never heard anything since.

I just became debt free for the first time in 14 years or so I thought...until now.

Have you contacted the LA regarding this, and asked them what is going on??

I'd be onto them, if you ring them, ensure you get the call handlers name that you discuss it with, and simply ask them if there is still an outstanding balance, if there is then can they send it 'In Writing' the amount, and you will then send them your proposal of payment.

You can easily get their bank details, and set up a standing order to repay what you may owe.

If it transpires you don't owe them anything, then demand to know how this company got hold of your details claiming that you owe the LA?

IMO this sounds like blanket bombing debtors of the same name, and hoping that someone puts their head above the parapet.

Have you checked your credit file to see if theirs anything on there??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

bugger and all they can do....

so what ...

nothing to do with the council at all...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...