• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Though it would be Highview you would  pursue. DCBL are nonentities-on their best day,
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Car Insurance company chasing me for a debt due to there own mistake

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I'm minding my own business watching my credit score slowly going up and today out of the blue I have had a letter from "Go Skippy" car insurance threatening me with legal action for non payment of £284. Now I haven't had insurance with them since 2015 so this was a bolt out of the blue and with only 4 months left of my 6 year default this is the last thing I need.

Anyway I have made some calls today and this is what has happened

Feb 2014- I paid £284 for my insurance

Nov 2014- They refunded me £284(apparently)

They didn't even ring to explain just send me a debt letter 😡

So today some 2 and half years later they now want me to pay back the mistake they have made by refunding me in November 2014. They offered me a payment plan where I pay them over 3 months or if I pay whole amount they will knock £50 off...

This sounds off to me and I really need to know where I stand legally?

Thanks

Steve

If you owe it then you pay it. However. you need to find out WHY they refunded you, and why its taken so long.

The fact theyre willing to knock £50 off is a tad weird, unless they know its not enforceable and are trying to bluff you.

However the only way to be sure is to do a SAR

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for your reply, I'm miffed that they have taken soon long to claim the money back, They do not know why it has happened and they said the reason for the refund is not known.

I assume that they can demand this money back and there is no time limit if re claiming the money?

With the SAR just confirm what they have told me?

Thanks

Did you realise that they had made the refund to you?

Well, where you stand legally is that it was a payment made under a mistake and you are obliged to repay it. On the other hand, if they sued you for the money then you could run an estoppel as a defence. However, they are unlikely to sue you for this kind of money. Actually it would be better for you if they did.

I'm not sure that they would have the right to mark your credit file as a result of this because the refund/mistake has not been made to you as a result of any credit agreement.

Frankly, if you have the money then for a quiet life the best thing to do is to repay and take advantage of the £50 discount. It's a pretty good interest-free loan.

It would be helpful if you could post up the debt letter in PDF format please so that we can see exactly how they are treating it.

Thanks for your reply,

So i really cannot afford to repay this and if it is proven by my old bank that a refund was in fact given to me then I think to expect me to then pay is some 30 months later is unreasonable and add that to the letter of sction agajnst me without even a phone call to me or even a letter explaining a mistake has happened makes me want to ensure that I only pay the amount if it effects my credit score/credit file. I have always payes my debts but this one really leaves a bad taste.

Well, if youre being truthful with what you have said here, then You have to repay it. However, get things in writing this time and stay off the phone. Explain you cant afford it in chunks, and propose another repayment plan.

Could be a little cheeky too and say because it was their fault and theyve left it so long and you cant repay, then they should strongly consider agreeing .

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

so it begs the question what is this all about? Insurance co cancelled policy or maybe you did and they refunded when they werent supposed to? I think we are not getting all of the story and that makes a difference as to what advice would be given. Your more fatalistic responses makes me suspect that you know this is a problem rather thanjust an administrative error so be more forthcoming please.

Voided Insurance ? They cancelled, refunded the premium and then realised that they should have kept it.

Go Skippy are a very small company, who use Gibraltar based underwriters. If you read around the forums, they don't seem to apply by the same rules as other Insurers.

I have had this type of situation, where Insurers have refunded amounts in error. You write out to the Policyholders explaining what has happened and ask politely for the money back. You can't really note credit records as it does not relate to performance of any credit arrangement. Difficult taking it to court, as the money was sent unsolicited to the Policyholders account. Most Policyholders did return the money as they were decent people not wanting money they were not entitled to. But some just kept it and it was written off. Of course databases were updated to make sure we never offered Insurance to them again.

Depends on circumstances as to whether you keep the money or pay it back as best as you can. If they note your credit record, then make a complaint and involve the ICO if necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Evening all, Sorry for the late reply to your questions, I have hopefully attached the letter sent to me by Go skippy..

Ericsbrother- I dont understand your suggestion that I am being fatalistic, I have answered the questions that has been asked of me? If you explain your comment So i can better reply to you

Unclebulgaria67- Go Skippy have terrible reviews online I have read a simple google search does not show them in good light,

Go Skippy Letter.jpg

I made a complaint to Go Skippy as I did not have any facts or proof about the refund, This is the email I received today by a manager. Would appreciate everyone's advice on what to do next.

Thank you for contacting us, Your complaint has been passed to me as part of the Customer Journey Department. The contents of which I was concerned to note.

I have attempted to call you on the contact numbers provided however I was unable to reach you but left a voice mail message.

Firstly, Go Skippy aim to provide excellent customer service at all times, and I am sorry that you do not feel we have done so in this instance.

Having checked your policy, I can see that it started on the 22/02/2014 and lapsed on the 22/02/2015. I do understand that you made a payment of £281.08 for your car insurance policy however on the

26/11/2014 this amount was refunded back to you in error.

Our accounts department has only identified this error on the 02/03/2017 therefore we began our debt collection process and issued the attached letter to you.

We acknowledge that the refund was issued in error and therefore we can offer to waive £50 of the debt reducing this amount from £281.08 to £231.08.

Please note that we have provided you with insurance for entire 12 month duration from the 22/02/2014 to the 22/02/2015 therefore the payment is due and will need to be paid.

I do understand that we are chasing this debt more then 2 years later however please note that we are allowed to request this payment and chase a debt outstanding provided it is within 5 years.

I appreciate that this may not be the response you were anticipating, but I do hope that I have provided a clear explanation as to why are chasing this debt.

Please note that we follow a strict debt collection procedure which means that we will issue out 3 debt letters and if there is no response from yourself and no payment plan arranged to clear the balance then the debt will be passed to our debt collection company, the Insurer Collections Bureau who will contact you in due course.

Once again my offer will be to waive £50 of the debt reducing it from £281.08 to £231.08. We can then set up a payment plan.

Please confirm if you are happy to accept my offer in resolution to your complaint.

I await your response.

Kind Regards,

Up to you, what you want to do.

You could write back saying that it is going to cost you time and money to look into this matter, so the £50 offer is not sufficient even to cover inconvenience. Advise them that if they continue to pursue the matter, that you will refer a complaint to the FOS and also report this to the FCA in relation to a breach of ICOBS. Remind them of the financial standards expected by the FCA, who will no doubt wish to make enquiries about the standards of accounting at Go Skippy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Before i make any attempt to pay I want to explore every avenue to ensure this debt has to be paid back. I get that I have the refund back but I was unaware at the time and my situation is now different some 2 1/2 years later that I cannot just pay it back.

I will look up what part of the fos and the ICOBS they may have breached before I reply to them.

Thanks uncleB