Income Support/SSP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi me and my partner have a bit of a problem and not sure what to do I'll go into a bit of the back story so bare with me.

I stopped working in November 2015 due to issues with my right hand and was diagnosed with Parkinson's March 2016, I put a claim in for PIP May 2016... Meanwhile my partner was the sole earner from November 2015 and we were getting WTC to top up her wages.

My partner went of sick from work with depression the 4th July 2016 and started getting SSP 11th July 2016 we then made a claim for HB/CTB and still getting WTC, then I got my PIP claim (£55.10 Standard rate Daily care) in September backdated from May which in turn entitled my partner to Carers Allowance as she cares for me got that backdated to August.

Fast forward to the 22nd of January the last day of 28 wks of SSP ( Or so we thought) we cancelled the WTC from the 22nd due to the SSP ending… My partners employer supplied a SSP1 stating the date 22nd and we started an Income Support claim 23rd January we were started on a rate of around £30 a week the calculation included the SSP, she then supplied a letter off her employer stating that the last payment of SSP she received is her last and no more SSP is due, the IS was then backdated from the 28th January recalculated without the SSP on so that added an extra £88.45 a week on top of the £30ish a week we were already receiving.

Here comes the issue we checked the bank and my partner has had a token payment from work of around £35 which were guessing is SSP (not got her wage slip yet) but upon checking her old wage slip with the 1st SSP payment on it seems instead of my partner getting 4 weeks SSP they gave her a days holiday (she never requested it) then the rest SSP which could be the result in the £35 payment a days SSP... The head office deal with payments (which is based in Birmingham) so I am guessing why her employer has gotten confused on the SSP end date.

What do we do? As informing IS about the days SSP payment will cause an overpayment of around £350 to my reckoning and it will need recalculating once again with the small SSP payment then once again once her next pay date is due which we'd like to avoid due to fact it took awhile to get the correct IS issued to us had to chase up for letters, keep ringing up,jobcentre visits etc...

Could we ask her employer to take back the £35 odd payment by maybes giving the holiday back they gave her/or something on them lines which would be the easiest option and not have to inform IS?

Quite a mess up by her employer.

Thanks Trev.

Edited by Trevstan

Hmm, AFAIK, the payment of SSP by her employer, the one which you think will cause an overpayment of £350, will do no such thing.

It is an oversight by a third party which couldn't have been foreseen so can't be punished or sanctioned, and most certainly NOT to the tune of £350!

It takes a while for the social security net to bed in, and there will be over, AND, underpayments, but it will all sort itself out eventually, just be 100% sure YOU keep a full account of EVERYTHING.

Whatever they send you or you send them, keep copies, if you send them letters, then ALWAYS obtain ''proof of posting'' which is free from the PO counter, even if they send you return envelopes.

• Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

IMO yes, they'll either contact you or they won't.

If they do then it's an honest oversight, and you can show that, you weren't to know.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Trev just ensure you keep copies of everything, the SSP payment and the IS payment.

I doubt you have anything much to worry about...