Barclays closed my account. 16-19 only open a few months

sunny620
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

MY 16-19 account had been opened in december 2016 and yesterday, the 23rd of February, I received a letter that my account was being closed, and that Barclays were unable to continue being my bankers. It offers no other explanation. I realized yesterday that my card was missing when I attempted to call them and tried to find my account number and sort code. I decided to go into a branch and was told that my account did not exist. I'm concerned whether there is any way I can reverse this decision and whether I will be able to open an account with another bank or building society such as Nationwide or Santander? There is no issue of money being stuck, more the inconvenience of having my account closed down and having no idea about it

I'm afraid that when banks get like this, they pull down the barriers and it's very difficult to do anything. If you don't mind me saying, at your age it's better simply to move on, find another bank and get an account there. Take more care of your card in future.

I have to say that it is very unfair treatment that they don't give you an explanation and I suppose that you could take action to force them to do so – but is probably not worth it as you're not losing any money.

Open another account – but also it's probably a good idea to check your credit file just in case somebody has done something. However, if someone has incurred debts in your name then I would expect the bank to a written to you about it and there will be a lot more trouble than they are making at the moment.

See if you can open an account. Check your credit file. If there are any problems then come back here

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have already applied online for nationwide's Flexone account. I am awaiting a reply from them. The thing I am concerned about is if someone has used my card for anything illegal. E.g Illegal money transfers or something. As I can see no other reason why my account would be closed. I just hope that any other bank will not give me issues about the closure of my account.

Take the advice I have given above and come back here if there are problems.

You should think about opening accounts in more than one bank. A UK sterling account is always useful to have – but treat them responsibly

Hi Sunny and welcome to CAG

Have you checked recently to see if there are any transactions that you don't know recognise.

Do you know when you last had the card in your control.

Check your CRA file and look for anything untoward, including any CIFAS marker.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I haven't been able to check my transactions, as I was completely unaware of me not having my card with me. I don't use my card much so its not like I wouldve noticed very quickly if it went missing. What is a CRA file and how do I check it?

Thank You.

CRA = Credit Reference Agency

You can sign up to one for a free trial but make sure you cancel before you have to start paying.

Or Noddle is free to sign up to I think.

That's where you'll find your CRA report details and any CIFAS markers.

It's all here on CAG or on the web for you to find but you need to research for yourself.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Well, Nationwide got back to me, and I have been denied an account. Friends have told me that Metro bank is the only one that will take me now. This has made me certain that there is CIFAS data on my name and that it is probably something major to be denied a bank account. I think cat4 or above. I have emailed Jes Staley (CEO of Barclays) and got a reply from Greg Owen (Executive Team). I am awaiting a reply and have saved his emails. Any advice on what to do from here? I have read that CIFAS markers stay on file for 6 years and this coincides with my University years and do not want any complications to my student loan.

Hi,

Did you check your credit files ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Why haven't you checked on your CRA report already. Until you do, you're just guessing.

You may have better luck opening an a/c if you just go for a BASIC bank a/c.

Complaining to Barclays CEO, etc is NOT likely to help you resolve your problem. They'll probably tell you they closed the a/c based on commercial decisions that they're unable to disclose or discuss.

Look into getting a bsic bank a/c opened and let us know how you get on.

Well I tried to register with Experian and any other Credit agency and they told me I have to be 18 to check my credit report. I have printed out the SAR form for CIFAS and will post that out shortly. The thing is most basic bank accounts are 18+ and I'm not eligible for any of those. The Flexone account from nationwide was the one I applied for and was rejected because they said I "Didnt meet account opening criteria" The member of the executive team did give me his number to contact him at any time if I had any questions or such. I don't know how much of that is just politeness and not honesty.

Hi Sunny,

I wasn't aware under 18's couldn't get CRA data :oops:

See what comes back from the CIFAS SAR.

Search "Basic bank accounts" online and you'll find options to look at.

Yup, I agree.

Concentrate on getting a new Basic Bank a/c opened as suggested above.

Once you're 18, you can check on CRA and/or CIFAS data if that's necessary.

But focus on getting a bank a/c sorted as your priority.