What would you do? (Father [problem]ming people)

Deimos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

So I found out last night my father of 74, is [causing problems] people by selling them fake brand named guitars, that he buys brand new from China.

I live with him, so I noticed he started buying guitars sometime back, then would sell them on, nothing seemed to out of the ordinary, but then I realised he's buying guitars from a Chinese ebay style site, with the Gibson or Fender branding for about £150-£200, plays with them for a while, then lists them on Gumtree/friday ad as "original" (non fake), with the description of the guitar copied/pasted from the Gibson or Fender website, one such listing he is going to make soon says "This guitar cost just over £2000 new. Any sensible offer with be considered."

When he told me what he planned to do, I said I didn't agree with it and how wrong it is, but he just turns his back on me and carries on.

I have no love for my father, for reasons just like this, so I'm wondering, what's the best course of action?

*(S c a m is a bad word here?)

[...] so I'm wondering, what's the best course of action?

*(S c a m is a bad word here?)

A couple of options for you: Distance yourself from him as best you can. Moving to another property may be one way.

You could also (try) to raise the matter with Trading Standards or send Gibson/Fender a link to the adverts pointing out that they are fake items. However, this may sour relations even further and result in you having to move.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I'm just surprised there's no obvious options available, I did see the trading standards website, but would they even take action?

Moving out isn't an option sadly, as we co own this house together (long story there)

I did send the advert link to Gibson tonight, so we'll see if it gets removed.

Hi Deimos

It would be difficult for anyone to really advise as at the end of the day the decision on what you decide to do is entirely yours.

Mr.P in post#2 has given you advice.

Also you need to be aware of these links: (maybe try showing him even just one)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/26/contents

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/intellectual-property-crime-and-infringement

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/crime-threats/intellectual-property-crime

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/intellectual_property_crime/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Stating that a guitar is original and cost £2,000 new when your father knows that isn't true would be fraud. It would also be counterfeiting.

If your father gets caught he could be prosecuted and convicted. I suppose this would mean a fine and could even mean a jail sentence if he continues over a long period of time. He would also be required to pay all of the money back, and would risk bailiffs taking his property if he cannot afford to do that.

If someone reports him, it wouldn't be difficult wouldn't be difficult for the police to trace him and all historic sales through his ebay account.

Its a difficult one. I personally would point this out the risks to him. I'm not sure I'd report him to the police. You could report him to the police or trading standards, but ultimately he has to take responsibility for his own actions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks all for the advice

I agree it's a difficult one, but I'm pretty sure he's done it more than a few times now, whether he got the asking price he posted, I don't know

But as I live with him, it just makes it all the more difficult, because if I report him, he will no doubt find out and he has a vengeful/childish streak in him.

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum.Please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread