Joint Natwest Overdraft

Kneeno
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Hopefully someone can give me some advice concerning the above.

My husband had an account with the Natwest even before we were married in 1981. When we married he added my name to the account. Over the years my husband has used this account himself and I have my own bank account.

My husband unfortunately passed away suddenly on the 19th of January this year which has been really traumatic.

My husband had a £2,800 overdraft with them but I have been told that because the account is in joint names the account will go into my name and someone will write to me (basically debt collector) to work out how much to pay them.

I know they are well within their rights to do this but as I have hardly used the account it is annoying and I cannot afford to be making payments to pay off the overdraft. My husband died relatively young at 63.

Has anyone advice or been through this situation before? Do you think that we take a one off payment and how much would it normally be do you think. My Dad might be able to give me £1,000 which is good of him because he also paid for the funeral.

Many thanks in advance. There is a lot I have had to deal with recently and I could do with some help. My husband was the mainstay of our family and now he has gone its like I am on the edge of a cliff waiting to fall.

Hi Kneeno and welcome to CAG

I assume you mean you was added as a joint signatory.....not joint party to the agreement...you cant be added to an existing agreement

You are not liable for the debt.

Thread moved to Nat West.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply. TBH I cannot remember when the overdraft was taken out because it was that long ago and it has been owed for years probably before 2000.

The thing is, and I hate this, but I think there is no way of out of this one as I am the joint account holder.

Has anyone, if they have had an overdraft with the bank, offered an amount to pay it off?

Many thanks in advance

Colleen

Check one of the bank statements to the account and see if its in your Husbands name or both of you (Mr & Mrs).

I hope your banking facilities are with a different bank unconnected ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy

Yes we are both named on the account although my husband's name is now being taken off.

I do have my own bank account which I use all the time and I have not used my husband's account and that is why it is annoying to now see that they can chase me for the money.

Looks like I will have to make them an offer.

Thanks for your help and anyone viewing this thread (which I can see people have) please take note. Be forewarned about what could happen. You never know what is round the corner.

I feel like this advice is falling on deaf ears Kneeno I appreciate you have enough on your plate at the moment but from your responses I feel that you are not really understanding what I ask.

I didnt ask if you are both on the account, I asked for you to physically look at his bank statements and read what names are on it.

So you went into the bank with your husband and filled all the necessary forms to convert the current account to joint...they did a credit check on you and agreed to add you to the current account...and possibly give it a new account number?

This cant be done by your husband alone or by telephone call to the bank...you would have to sign consent forms taje ID in etc.

Not just as a signatory who can write cheques..use a debit card and deposit but to have full control the same as your husband ?

On your cheque book leaves it has both your names.?

As for making offers and offering to pay it back....unsecured overdrafts go right to the bottom of the list in priority for payment from any estate left ...thats why they are handing it over to a DCA.