• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Erudio/Dryden claimform - 1996 Student Loan 'Debt' 'Matured already'?

erikborgo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've just received a very worrying letter from Drydensfairfax Solicitors telling me they will take me to court on behalf of Erudio if I don't contact them within a few days.

Can they do this?

The debt is from when I was a student in 1996, from The Student Loan Company.

I haven't corresponded with The Student Loans Company since 2011.

I asked for a complete breakdown of what they think I owe them using the Data Protection Act and the numbers they produced were incorrect!

The amount owed was wrong in all their correspondence, it bore no relation to the numbers in the documentation they produced!

I've paid, deferred, paid in alternate cycles over the years but according to them, I still seem to somehow owe them over £3000! I moved house.

I am not on the electoral roll at my new address and have never been - 4 years and counting - so can they actually take me to court given that there is no proof that I actually live here?

Is being on the electoral roll necessary for the commencement of legal proceedings?

Can they really take me to court or is this an exercise in evoking deep horror and distress?

Also, I am now 49 years old, will this debt simply expire when I'm 50?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they can take you to court using any address they have traced you to. Nothing to do with electoral roll.

Has there ever been a period of 6 years, where you have not paid anything or deferred repayment of this loan ? This is a very important question. You need to be sure there has been a period of 6 years without deferment or payment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think my last payment was 4 years and 9 months ago.

How would they have otherwise traced me without searching my credit file?

Is taking someone to Court a process that requires verification via the Electoral Roll?

I checked with Noddle and there is no Electoral Roll information and there have been no searches for many years.

Also, I got so many salesmen knocking on my door years ago that I ignore it completely now,

they couldn't have obtained confirmation from me directly.

Thinking back, I deferrered and then disputed the asking sum based on the data they provided - Data Protection Act request, therefore it's been just over 5 years... but not 6.

hiding is not doing you favours

i'm not sure what sites you are reading that leads you to believe not registering on voters prevents legal action...:lol::lol:

anyway.

don't go rushing into anything yet and most def don't ring talk or phone them.

erudio are a dca [arrows] and drydens are part of the same group

next desk

what you have is a phishing letter.

read it PROPERLY

it does NOT say WILL anywhere.

and yes you are close to age deferment but paying might blow that out the water.

let me go find a document.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

NOTHING to do with electoral role.

It is very very difficult to live in the UK in secret. If you have ever entered a competition or completed online information on say a comparison site, your data will have been sold on. There are companies out there who trade in personal data. If you have a mobile phone which you have registered to the address, there will be a data record. If you have taken out Insurance at the address, another data record. Etc etc.

You have been traced using data that is available, so they know you are very likely to live at the address.

Don't ignore the threat of a court claim. If there is a dispute about the loan and the amount owed, then you are probably best to write back asking for more details.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm wondering if this is a real or phishing letter.

Here's what it says about legal proceedings in the letter itself:

"If we do not receive clear proposals to repay this debt by 6th March 2017 we will commence proceedings against you and a claim form will be issued for the full outstanding balance".

Then refer to post#6 above.....it does appear to be a genuine LBA.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If they do take me to Court, would my income level be taken into consideration and at that stage could a repayment plan be agreed upon?

It's an old style loan pre 1998, so when I turn 50 next year would any outstanding arrears be written off?

Edited by erikborgo

Court claims are being issued for these student loans, so if you don't respond, you may get a court claim through the post.

As advised, if there are issues of dispute regarding the loan, you would be wise to raise these by writing to them. While they are looking into your letter of dispute, it should stop them issuing any court claim, until they have responded and you have had time to consider their response.

Won't there be Bailiffs next?

Would they be Court Appointed?

If I receive a Court Claim through the post

, can I request a Variation Order at that stage or so I have to go to Court and request this at the hearing?

Also does Legal Aid exist anymore and would I have to represent myself?

Is Student Debt a priority debt?

Are there any links on this website (or another) to more information regarding exactly what happens when they make a Court Claim?

Is Student Debt a priority debt? Are there any links on this website (or another) to more information regarding exactly what happens when they make a Court Claim?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?356814-The-Process-of-Litigation..-Court-Claims-Defences(1-Viewing)-nbsp

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Won't there be Bailiffs next? Would they be Court Appointed? If I receive a Court Claim through the post, can I request a Variation Order at that stage or so I have to go to Court and request this at the hearing? Also does Legal Aid exist anymore and would I have to represent myself?

Hold your horses ! You are jumping too far ahead !

1) first enter into a dispute by writing back to Drydenfairfax querying anything that you want to. They should not issue any court claim, if there are any issues of dispute, which they could respond to. Following any letter, they might respond with more information and you could offer them a repayment plan based on what you could afford to pay over a period of time. This would most likely stop any court claim being issued.

2). If you cannot resolve and a court claim is issued to you, then the court claim would give you a choice of admitting to the debt and you could submit a form asking them to consider an affordable repayment offer. You have the option of defending the claim and going to arbitration where you discuss the claim by phone via an arbitration service. This is where you admit to owing a sum, but not the amount of the claim and you can try to negotiate to an amount which you believe is correct.

Only if you received a CCJ and you did not pay would bailiffs ever become involved.

Start with 1) first, by sending a letter of dispute asking for information.

can you scan up this letter please as PDF.

follow the upload

there have been no claimforms on erudio owned slc loans yet

only 2 and they were proved to be spoof

dx

and they

No not sb'd

Can you scan the letter up please

Before you get frighten frozen

and they

No need to see it

Mobile phone/digital camera?

and they

Dear Sir

Our client: Erudio Student Loans Limited

Account number: (omitted)

Original creditor: Student Loans Company

Outstanding amount: £3211.26

IT IS IMPORTANT YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS OF THIS DOCUMENT

We are instructed by our client, Erudio Student Loans Limited, to commence legal proceedings against you in the County Court if you do not provide proposals for repayment of this debt by 2 March 2017.

If we do not receive clear proposals to repay this debt by 2 March 2017 we will commence legal proceedings against you and a claim form will be issued for the full outstanding balance. We are required by Court rules to provide you with certain information prior to issuing proceedings:

• The claimant will be Erudio Student Loans Limited (our client) who own the account

• We will tell the Court that you made a credit agreement with Student Loans Company but failed to repay it.

We will explain that your account was then sold to Erudio Student Loans Limited

• The claim will be for the balance outstanding on your account, £3211.26

• If you dispute the claim, we are willing to try to resolve that dispute without going to Court and we will be happy to discuss this with you or your representative

• If you don't comply with the instructions of the Court, the Judge can impose penalties against you which may increase the costs payable by you

• You can make payments by a variety of means that are shown on the back of this letter.

• If you need advice about this letter you should seek independent legal advice. There are organisations that offer free advice and assistance listed on the reverse of this letter

Please quote reference (omitted) in all correspondence or calls.

Yours faithfully

Also:

"It is not too late to stop the claim being issued. Please contact us to enable us to understand your circumstances and help you agree a repayment plan that is affordable and sustainable. The easiest way to contact us is by to telephone on 0113 823 3402 or via our customer website http://www.drydensfairfax.com/customer. You can email [email protected] or write to us at the address below."

I haven't made a payment since jan 2012, over 5 years. Not long enough...

It would be enough in Scotland

I started a business in 2012 and there was no way of deferring it till I did my accounts at the end of the year and then I simply had too much to focus on keeping my fledgling business afloat.

It's doing better now and I can afford to pay by instalments provided we can come to a sustainable arrangement.

I may dispute the amount they are asking for and submit a request for full disclosure of all the financial details using a Data Protection Act Letter.

Maybe this will keep them busy till next year when I turn 50 but if not, would they write off the amount left to pay when I turn 50 I wonder?

I'm very tempted to wait and see if they take me to Court.

I've had dealings with debtors before, they never seem to accept any reasonable offer but the Courts will if you show them evidence of income.

Even if you reach 50, you will still be liable for any arrears you built up, because you did not meet the terms of the loan, by either making required payments or obtaining deferment.

There is another thread in the legal folder on CAG, where someone has just lost in court, because there was a period their student loan was not deferred and it was in arrears before they reached 50.

Suggest you find out exactly how much you owe by disputing the matter in writing and advise that upon receipt of an accurate full breakdown calculation of any debt, you will consider the matter further.

My neighbour had a working scanner, so here's the letter.

I've taken out all the QR codes and all other tracking information.

Scan_Pic0001.pdf

I sent £10 off along with a letter quoting the Data Protection Act a few years ago and the Student Loans Company sent me a mass of paper and their sums didn't add up.

I'm pretty sure they knew it too because they kept on asking why I didn't think I owed the quoted amount

- this was much higher than what's being asked for since the debt was bought by Erudio.

The figures don't tally at all!

If we can't agree (out of Court [if I can keep it out of Court]) on what's owed by January 2018 and I don't make a payments in the meantime, would this mean that it'd be Statute Barred? It'd be 6 years by then.

thank you

what they are trying to do is find accounts they can get backdoor CCJ's on

then the more of these they get

the more they can threaten others that might not have the same set of 'protections' that you might have.

arrows purchased these loans cause they could see they cold quite easily make £1M's on them out of people that think they have to pay because they were once Gov't backed

and it was educational grants

and they did get educated etc etc

you know the score.

now why they've sent this so close to what could be your age cutoff date is quite interesting

its a two edged sword for them really...

either they let it age and lose the chance of anything

or

they send this threat out and get you in contact witht them

and get money out of you that way.

I would send them an SAR

and a CCA request.

the problem here being that the sar will give them you sig

so make it totally diff from anything you've used before.

we should be able to tie them in knots till its age barred

which, IMHO it will be

else why write to you now.

as for that recent lost case

that's not why they lost.

they didn't follow the advise given but decided to go their own sweet way

dx

and they

as for that recent lost case

that's not why they lost.

they didn't follow the advise given but decided to go their own sweet way

dx

:thumb: