First Utility giving out my personal details to a 3rd Party

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAG, hope this doesn't come across as too trivial.

I have a pet hate about unwanted marketing emails / messages etc, particularly from companies I use, when I've expressly asked not to receive these. It's the reason why I've had the same email and mobile number for over 10 years with little-to-no junk.

On the occasions I do get something, I usually pick it up with the company directly to sort it.

However, First Utility seems to have crossed a line this time - in the last week or so, I've had a postal letter, 2 texts and an email. However, these aren't strictly from First Utility - but from Siemens, on FU's behalf, trying to get me to buy a smart meter.

Am I right in thinking this is not only breaching my request not to receive marketing information, but actually breaches Data Protection by passing my details to a 3rd party?

Would be good to go back to them with something more robust than 'please do not send me this' for them to then ignore.

Check the small print in your terms and conditions with FU.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Here are the relevant sections of the T&C's

I guess it's a question of whether this meets the criteria of 'In order to provide you with the service you have asked for ... ', but to me it me feels more like a marketing message - which I've expressly opted out of.

It was the same when they started spamming me with emails about their new broadband package. These have nothing to do with the running of the account, but everything to do with getting me to sign up to more services.

2. Use of Your Information

2.5 In order to provide you with the service you have asked for we may pass on information we hold to other companies to:

• help us to provide, or improve the way we provide, the services we provide (for example a new supply point) or are needed to run your account (for example meter reading agencies)
  • manage debt collection and to help prevent and detect debt, fraud (including energy theft) and loss by notifying the TRAS fraud prevention agency and other energy suppliers to carry out periodic checks or where we suspect a customer has committed fraud or stolen energy and by using debt collection agencies and data service providers if you owe us money
  • provide information on our customers if our business is to change ownership
  • provide information for legal purposes if we are asked to do so.
  • We may also pass on information we hold to OFGEM or OfCom if we are required to do so.

2.6 You agree that prior to you becoming a customer we may obtain information from your previous supplier. Similarly, you agree that we may provide information about you to a new supplier should you move from us to a new supplier in the future.

2.7 We may share your data with approved partners who will use this information solely to administer and improve the service we provide. If you do not wish us to do so, please contact Customer Services on 01926 320700 for Electricity and Gas Services or 01926 320701 for Telephony Services or by Email: at [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Discussion posts moved to ....

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?475711-Smart-Meters...Discussion

This is someones thread and not a discussion about smart meters

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Am I right in thinking this is not only breaching my request not to receive marketing information, but actually breaches Data Protection by passing my details to a 3rd party?
wld think so, includng eu law, if you have formally rejected marketing.

i think some utilities may have been investigated by offgem for aggressive marketing. maybe its FU's turn to be investigated?