• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reclaim charges.

andyep
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2060 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all ,

Been reading the forums for a while now ,

just about to try and reclaim better halfs catalogue and store cards charges.

I believe the route to go is SAR each catalogue and store card.

It seems over the years she has had two old Littlewood accounts and one current one and a current Very account ,

she phoned shop direct earlier this week to verify account numbers and to check address for correspondence

they gave her a Chelmsford address which seems to contradict other addresses I have found whilst browsing these forums

those being the innovation centre park lane netherton bootle l30 1sl and Shop Direct Limited 1st Floor Skyways House Speke Road Speke Liverpool L70 1AB.

Also we will be sending SAR's to Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and Outfit ,

the address we have been told is Newday ltd PO Box 700 Leeds LS99 2BD.

She also has an old Next account which is closed ,

they have provided us with a letter stating the account number and that there was never any PPI on the account this was received after a phone call requesting the account number.

which are the correct addresses to go with and also do we need to individually SAR each account and store card or one SAR to shop direct and one to Newday and one to Next ?

Is there any specific requests needed for each SAR and over the last twenty years we have only lived at two addresses so do we include both addresses in each SAR.

Some of the account/cards are pre 2007 and some post 2007.

Thanks for your time , Andy.

Edited by dx100uk

No you simply SAR each company, not a separate one for each account although its a good idea to include the relevant account numbers for each company.

Each company's head office address can easily be found online.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Four sar's sent thursday via a courier , three received and signed for on friday and one returned to sender(me) as courier cant deliver to postbox as signature required , will resend with royal mail recorded next week.

• 3 weeks later...

No acknowledgement from any of the above SAR requests and phoned post office and none of the postal orders cashed as of today ......... just wait a bit longer I guess :)

Thanks Andy.

Wouldnt be expecting anything really till middle of April at the earliest

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Cheers Martin , had an acknowledgement of next stating they have till the 19th to respond , also SD phoned my wife explaining that there was no ppi on the account so what did she want them to do , she stated "I want you to send me all the information you hold on me for all the accounts I have had with you as I requested in the letter" , SD replied would you not rather go through a telephone complaint instead , my wife told them "no thanks I would like you to send me all the information as requested"

Thanks Andy.

Good stuff

Acknowledgement received today from SD , we had three account numbers in the SAR request , however there are eight account numbers on their acknowledgement ,will post details as they arrive.

Thanks Andy.

Received the sar from SD theres 27 £12 charges but theres other figures pre 2011 on the same printout as the £12 charges ,I asked for an explanation of all codes used by SD and the codes supplied dont seem to include the codes applied to what look like other charges ranging from £25 and up ,if I post up a copy of these would anyone be able to take a look and possibly help ?

Thanks Andy.

Yes you can remove the obvious personal info and post them in a multi page pdf.

Can you also post the codes list please?

Thanks Martin will post up now ,

however I believe the other charges I mentioned that were £25 and up are items that were returned.

As you can see from the attached file

( hopefully I have redacted them correctly )

which is seven pages taken from the 200 plus supplied after the SAR request,

there are 27 £12 administration charges for late or missed payments ,

I think some of the numbers and codes are when SD reduced the credit limit as payments were made hence limiting the account ,

some of the other numbers and codes I dont understand even though SD say they have supplied me with all code definitions.

I think the outstanding balance on the accounts is about £500 which my wife is repaying at £50 a month.

I find it amazing after trawling through the 200 plus pages very little reference to the APR they are charging her.

I found the compound interest calculator on CAG but I am unsure what level to use ,other than going off what others have done.

Any thoughts/opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Andy.

sd codes.pdf

sd charges.pdf

Put all of the charges into the spreadsheet and use an average of the interest they have used over the term of the account.

If as you say there is little reference to what the interest rate is or was, use the rate you can see they have used.

Pop it up for checking first tho.

• 1 month later...
Put all of the charges into the spreadsheet and use an average of the interest they have used over the term of the account.

If as you say there is little reference to what the interest rate is or was, use the rate you can see they have used.

Pop it up for checking first tho.

Hi Martin ,sorry for the MEGA late response , I have been visiting and reading the forum , but along with work and family its took a while to get round to planning the response to everything ,anyway here goes ,below are 2 redacted letters/emails I am about to send to newday and shopdirect after they both responded to my SAR requests on my wifes accounts , requesting administration charges back with compound interest.

Shopdirect

"Thank you for responding and completing my SAR request for the above accounts ,after examining all the documents received I can see that there were numerous administration charges applied to my accounts.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I calculate that you have taken £324 in charges and using a nominal compound interest of 24.9% I make the total charges and interest I feel you should return to me as of 19/5/17 £709.99.

As you will see the nominal interest I have applied is 24.9% and not the 30%plus that you apply to your customers ,I feel this is a fair rate as it is similar to many high street banks rates for small loans.

I require repayment in full of this money,directly to me and not to be applied to my account or sent to any other third party. If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus further interest, plus my costs, without further notice. "

Newday.

" Thank you for responding and completing my SAR request for the above accounts ,after examining all the documents received I can see that there were numerous administration charges applied to my accounts.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to late fees are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I calculate that you have taken £374 in charges and using a nominal compound interest of 24.9% I make the total charges and interest I feel you should return to me as of 19/5/17 £1000.42.

As you will see the nominal interest I have applied is 24.9% and not the 30%plus that you apply to your customers ,I feel this is a fair rate as it is similar to many high street banks rates for small loans.

I require repayment in full of this money,directly to me and not to be applied to my account or sent to any other third party. If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus further interest, plus my costs, without further notice."

Would you like the spreadsheets uploading as well.

Thanks for your time ,Andy.

Yes please Andy, pop the spreadsheets up aswell so they can be checked

shopdirect interest rate is 39.9% see their adverts?????

Yep Old Cogger I agree ,but thought I had read it was easier yo get them to pay out by not going for the jugular.

they will not in most if not all cases, but say need to speak to you when asked all in writing for the benefit of doubt, you hear no more they do not like paying out, only by agreement after a county court form against then is issued and the silent clause agreed on case?, reduced % shows weakness!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

From what i can see Andy the spreadsheets look fine but might be a good idea to upload pdf's as the . Txt files are difficult to read

Banging my head against the wall ,

been trying for two hours to convert the "CISheet v101" to pdf ,

I have done this for other documents b4 and been fine ,

I have tried converting it from open office and excel both to pdf and every time it cuts off the right hand side of the pdf ,

I have tried using a load of online converters and open office pdf converter

,same thing everytime

,also tried reducing the margins and extending the page width ,

when I do this I lose even more of the right hand side of the pdf ,

yet when I preview the pdf before converting it looks fine ?

Any ideas appreciated ,thanks Andy.

size the spreadsheet then

file print

print to PDF

print active sheets only

fit all cols to one page

or simply attach you .xls files!

but remove your details.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Cant seem to get it to work and dont seem to have any .xls files , going to delete everything and start again ,

also I have found on the newday statements a number of "shopping cover" charges

and on the shop direct account a load of "account cover" and "account cover plus" charges ,

I presume these are PPI charges ,

can these PPI charges go onto the same reclaim letter's and also have the same compound interest applied to them.

Googed it , I converted them back to open office files,

I will redo them and if no joy I will convert them back to excel files and upload.

Thanks Andy.

our spreadies should work in open office ok

then filesave as .xls

you use the same spready yes ,

but one copy for each type of reclaim

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...