Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder robesac Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter
    Cagger since : Jan 2013

Default NatWest Credit Card should I get in touch?

Hi, My 1st post on this forum so hope it's ok.
    Around 8 years ago I became ill and went on sick leave and was eventually given ill health retirement about 3 years ago so I live on a work based pension.

This resulted in my being unable to afford to keep up repayments on various debts, 1 of which is a NatWest credit card which at the time had an outstanding balance of about 13k.
    I contacted them and agreed repayments of 30 per month.

5 years ago I moved house (owned outright) and informed NatWest cards by way of letter of the change. However, they failed to act on that change and since I moved I have heard absolutely nothing from them. I have continued to make the repayments of 30 per month regularly and never missed any via standing order.

Looking at my credit score via clearscore it appears now that I only have 1 negative event which is an account which Lowells took over and is showing as a closed account 5 years ago. I am therefore assuming that come this November when the 6 year anniversary happens this will disappear and my credit file will be clear.

I ask the question if anyone can help. Is that likely to be the case but more importantly should I just keep paying NatWest until I die as it will never be paid off at the current rate and I can't afford to pay more. I am concerned that If I get in touch now or change anything it will come back and affect my credit score now re-setting the clock to obtaining a clear credit score. Is it likely to haunt me in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since : Dec 2006

Default Re: NatWest Credit Card should I get in touch?

You should always contact your creditor's when you move

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    Click Here To Make A Donation
    If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if necessary
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

That doesn't actually answer any of my queries.
    As I stated in my post I advised NatWest cards in writing. I know they received the letter as at the time I had 3 cards all managed by NatWest group and 2 of those addresses were changed as a result of my letter.

Still looking for help and advice as to what I should do if anything rather than what I should have done!

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

if the debts are defaulted
    they go off the file on its 6th birthday.
    they cant return.

credit file providers each run by some of their own rules when listing credit
    theres no such thing as a closed account
    that's just the way clearscore appears to label some debts
    if they go after 6yrs - they will say that somewhere.

try noddle too..

as for paying NW
    is this one still showing?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by phone alert the siteteam
    DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

The NatWest debt isn't showing on my credit file but I don't know if it ever has as I have only recently joined clearscore and as stated previously I moved address just over 5 years ago.
    However, given the size of the last known outstanding balance compared to agreed repayments I can't imagine it hasn't been defaulted in the past.

yea id suggest it was defaulted long ago and has dropped off
    so it cant comeback and haunt you.

the fact that you have moved address makes no odd really as long as that old address is showing in the linked addresses section of your credit file.

I know what i'd do ..but that's me..
    not you..stop paying or drop it to 5PCM
    thet'll get their attention

why don't you SARicon Natwest and get everything they hold on your
    and go from there.

DX RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

That sounds like a good plan thank you.

Royalties Account Holder renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since : Aug 2010

Before you drop payments, send them a letter and say if you get no valid response in 14 days then you will drop the amount for the remainder of the life of the debt. They'll sit up and take notice.

On the 14th day with no reply, drop the amount..

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks
    Follows
    Following

All sounds like good advise thank you. I think I will start by reducing the payment slightly and see what happens.
    I'm just worried about changing the status quo whilst potentially looking forward to a clear credit later this year.

Gold Account Holder BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative BazzaS Authoritative

Cagger since : Mar 2009

An alternative viewpoint if it is your credit file that is most important to you: don't "poke the bear", if you are happy paying the 30/month.

At the moment, it is off your credit file, BUT it isn't statute barredicon (and won't be for 6 years since last payment), as you've been paying.
    "Statute barred" and "off credit report" are 2 way different things.

If you disturb the status quo, they might sit up and take notice. If they notice, and start getting aggressive, it can't reappear on your credit file once it is 6 years post default UNLESS they take notice, and go down the CCJ route. If they went for a CCJ and it was granted, unless you paid the judgment within (is it 28 days? 30? a calendar month?), the judgment would show on the Register of CCJ's, and that WOULD be back on your credit file... for another 6 years .....

So, poking the bear risks them noticing, and going for a CCJ.
    Not poking the bear means you carry on paying the 30/month, and has the downside of keeping the statute bar date 6 years in the future, but it stays off your credit file while they carry on not noticing it.....

One factor we don't yet know is if it is likely to be an enforceable debt (if they could get a CCJ on it). If they couldn't, then no harm in risking it coming to their attention. Sadly, though, to get more info on its enforce-ability you might have to ask them for information, which also risks "poking the bear"!

Yes my credit file is more important to me at the moment and as I spent the money in the 1st place it's only right that I attempt to pay it back even though my circumstances have changed and I will never be able to fully repay it.
    I think I will leave things as they are and perhaps consider the above suggestions as a reserve action if things change.
    Thank you again for all of the advice.

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details