Help required on Car Purchase

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Just after some advice really,

I traded my car in on Friday for a BMW 118d which to be honest I am happy with apart from the fact that the drivers side window switch (its a master switch which controls passenger window/driver window and electric mirrors) when I enquired about the car I was told it had 6 months MOT on it but they would put through a new MOT.

This they have done and they did change 2 rear tyres as these were advisories, the guy I spoke to also said that it needed a new window switch.......

picked the car up on Friday and again it was mentioned that the switch was changed so didnt think anything of it.

However on way home from garage try windows and it doesnt work,

I didnt bother mentioning that day as it was late Friday and thought I would wait til Monday.

I emailed the garage yesterday and no response,

emailed again today and so far no response.

Now its only a window so its not a major big deal I suppose but I paid £7.5k for the car (7k trade-in on mine) and my car was immaculate and everything worked.

Am I being a biy picky bearing in mind the car is 6.5 years old or not?

The good news is that £250 of the £500 extra I paid was on my credit card so I do think I have some comeback via that if necesssary.

ANy advice much appreciated!

but is it just a switch?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well I dont know I could buy a switch myself off ebay for £30 and try it but I dont see why I should.

I suspect that they did indeed order a new switch, fitted it, and the electrics still didnt work and they just gave up. Hence why my two emails have been unanswered

my thoughts too

got basic electric knowledge

its easy to pop the switch out and test the switch is ok....

that way you'll know

if the switch is ok

id be getting the garage to sort it..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Driver Side Windows are checked during the MOT or NCT (National Car Test). They can result in a test failure for the following reasons:

Insecure.

Opening mechanism of driver’s window not operating.

Signs of a malfunctioning window regulator:

Window does not go up or down when buttons are pressed.

Operating the window makes an unusual or loud sound.

Window drops to one side.

Window closes very slowly or fails to close completely

If the window regulator needs to be replaced, enter your registration number on our Window Regulators page and hit Go. Then use the filtering options on the left hand side to filter for the regulator you need i.e left or right, front or rear.

Did You Know?

When testing the windows, use both the drivers side master control switch and the switch at the malfunctioning window. If one of these switches operates the window as normal, then you know

that there is a problem with one of the switches. Almost all cars with electric windows have a lock button that cuts power to all windows apart from the driver’s side for safety reasons. If your windows aren’t working It’s worth checking if this button has been pressed accidentally!

There are 4 main reasons for a malfunctioning electric window:

Blown Fuse

Faulty window switch

Faulty window motor

Faulty window regulator

If you can hear the motor running (a humming sound) when you press the buttons to operate the window, then you can rule out a faulty window switch and a blown fuse. You should skip to checking the motor and window regulator. If you can’t hear any sound when you press the buttons then it’s time to check the fuse.

http://www.micksgarage.com/blog/common-electric-window-problems-solutions/

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Its funny as thought the windows would be checked on MOT as well but when I looked into it I couldnt see that they were. Its obviously a dodgy MOT, Im surprised they even changed the tyres (although I havent checked these either, so maybe they havent!)

Thing is all my email to him said was can you let me know which window switch was replaced as if its not the one thats faulty now then I need to know, I havent even mentioned the fact he has to pay (although he does have to pay) more and more of me is wanting to reject the car and return it.

Is this petty all because of a window? I just dont trust the slimeball........

If it's not far away from you, just go see them.

I can only second what already said: If the switch makes a noise, It's probably something else.

To test windows I use a spare switch and wire it to the two pins of the window I want to check.

If it works it means you need a new switch, if it doesn't window motor or regulator.

In some cases a jammed window mechanism just needs a bit of TLC to work again (cleaning and regreasing)

I personally wouldn't reject it for the sake of this...once you have eliminated as per the list above what it may be......its simple to fix

If the switch is lit up but not controlling the other windows and mirrors but the other doors switches are working ...could it be the switch or possibly the window motor ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Its not the motor, or cant be because the windows drop and go back up when pressing the keypad. To be honest its not just this, I had no manual or pack with the car, and I traded in a perfect car with no faults and I paid £7.5k which in my eyes is a lot of money.

Its also the fact the trader cant even be bothered to answer my emails, which just goes to show his views, and his stance as a trader ie. ive sold the car now and therefore its not my problem.

Well as advised go back to them face to face and tell him what you want otherwise you will go to BMW get things put right and then do a section 75 chargback to cover the costs.

Its funny as thought the windows would be checked on MOT as well but when I looked into it I couldnt see that they were. Its obviously a dodgy MOT, Im surprised they even changed the tyres (although I havent checked these either, so maybe they havent!)

Thing is all my email to him said was can you let me know which window switch was replaced as if its not the one thats faulty now then I need to know, I havent even mentioned the fact he has to pay (although he does have to pay) more and more of me is wanting to reject the car and return it.

Is this petty all because of a window? I just dont trust the slimeball........

Assuming this is a MOT for England, Wales & Scotland, the only testable glazing on the car is the windscreen.

Modern electric window systems are complicated, rather than the good old days where the switch made the contact to the motor and reversed the polarity to change the direction, these days the switch sends a signal. This signal may pass through two or three control units, the control unit works out what you want the window to do and then controls the window motor.

You could get it plugged in to some diagnostic equipment, operate the switches and see what the control unit is seeing the signal as, it may be, up, down, inoperative or implausible. The problem could be with the switch, wiring or any of the control units, my first check would be for any broken wires where they pass from the door into the A post.

This is not a dig at the OP, but I am amazed at the number of posts on CAG where someone buys a vehicle spots faults with it on the journey home and does not turn staright around and go back to the stealership.

It may be late, it may be a long drive home, it may be that the buyer feels intimidated, but just go straight back.

'Now its only a window so its not a major big deal I suppose' and 'Am I being a bit picky bearing in mind the car is 6.5 years old'

To:

'I just dont trust the slimeball........' and 'Its obviously a dodgy MOT' whilst not forgetting the constructive and helpful 'stealership' comments.

Real nice. I hope the motor trader reads this, maybe someone will direct him to this page when the baying 'name and shame' calls commence.

Admittedly, we live in a 'now' age where we expect digital communication to be responded to swiftly, i am no different. You did not state if you purchased the car from a main agent, independant dealer or a guy who sells cars from his drive at home? Naturally, if it was a main agent then that makes the lack of communication a little more disappointing. But maybe the guy you are emailing is on holiday, maybe he is off sick, maybe his Grandpappy just passed away. Maybe your emails are sat in their spam folder and they have not even seen them.

Why not just pick the phone up and talk to the guy? If he then mugs you off you can cast dispersions, go to DEFCON 3 and generally have at it.

The issue with the windows is a common used car fault and is one hundred percent the responsibility of the dealer to fix. For the money it sounds like the car is maybe 7/8 years old and might have done 100,000mls? The design life of most cars is 10 years/150k miles, so things can (and will go wrong). Maybe they were working when the car was checked by the dealer, maybe its an intermittent fault? Also you have purchased a car that might have had several owners, the only way to guarantee a bookpack is to purchase a new car. If this was so important to you why did you not check it was present before purchase? If you ask the dealership/garage it might even be back there, if not i would imagine they could get you one for £10 off eBay?

Thanks for the little chuckle regarding the electric windows being part of the MOT. Maybe the garage you bought the car from might not find it so funny and take legal action for your comments. Just to clarify for all the 'experts' on this page, the electric windows are nothing to do with a current MOT test. Maybe people are getting confused with the doors opening?

Again, why not just call the place/person you bought the car from and try and sort it out human to human, you can always record the call if you feel you have to. Yes, there are ******s in the motor trade, just like every other profession, but at this point you don't even know your message/s have even been read/recieved! I guess i just don't see the constructiveness of some of the comments in this thread, its almost as if people want trouble or confrontation. If you do get the push off then escalate the matter. Good luck.

This is not a dig at the OP, but I am amazed at the number of posts on CAG where someone buys a vehicle spots faults with it on the journey home and does not turn staright around and go back to the stealership.

It may be late, it may be a long drive home, it may be that the buyer feels intimidated, but just go straight back.

Yes Piln, my point exactly. It makes me wonder what punters look at prior to parting with large sums of money. Is it the shiny, dent free exterior or the well valeted interior. Do they look upon an MOT as some sort of warranty??

Tyres require a thorough inspection as I found out to my cost years back---tread was excellent but I failed to spot a bulge on the inside of the tyre---only noticed vibration at high motorway speed--the consequences don't bear thinking about. Do they do any searches to find common faults with a particular marque / model.

Although traders don't like it, I always wear my boiler suit when inspecting a prospective purchase and have a good look underneath in addition to the usual well advised checks.

I can't understand people with little or no car experience not buying a couple of hours of a mechanics time to examine the vehicle on their behalf before purchase.