xsara Picasso faults

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Either they or you are maybe using the wrong words. When you say 'they checked the wiring and coil pack' was that a visual check or did they remove it and check it's values against the manufacturers. The same with the other sensor which I think you say is on the steering.

It really is no good taking a look and then assuming all is ok because it looks ok.

As for the car hire, let them know you have hired and will be claiming the costs back from them.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what they have done in terms of looking at the coil pack and wiring or any sensors. They just said they would look at all the fault codes on the ECU and see then look at the car and let us know if it was faulty parts/wiring or a faulty ECU and I'm guessing repair if possible.

What i don't get for example if the sensor for the clutch is faulty as reported by the ECU and they are cheap and easy to replace then why didn't they replace it and see if the code for that sensor disappeared. Because the codes are also picking up a coil pack fault and changing it a few times hasn't cleared the fault then they assumed the wiring at fault and that's ok. In light of that they put the fault down to the ECU.

I would have changed the sensor to see if the ecu code cleared on that and if it didn't then it would definitely been an ECU fault. Either way they have sent the ECU off now to get it looked at for any faults and are unsure what the next step is if they don't find any.

I've emailed Motosave HQ about costs of car hire and about possible court action over the car. I've also supplied my number for someone higher up to call. Not had anything yet I'm giving it till end of next week when the report on the ECU comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

The garage have got the ecu back it has come back not faulty...after some enquiries they have found out that our model of car wont take a 3rd party coil pack and has to be main dealer. So they say I'll know more on Tuesday as should have the car back by then. Garage is closed over the easter weekend.

Motosave are also refunding me all costs. So hopefully come Tuesday I'll have a problem free car

Unfortunatly the matter hasn't been settled.

Spoken to the Garage today and they said the car is ready for collection, they have said that it isn't good news they changed the coil pack and that resolved the code on the Engine management light. However the light is still coming on. They went on further to say in light of the ECU not being faulty after testing and the coil pack being replaced and that fixing that problem they have done everything they can to resolve the problem.

He went on further to say that he had taken the car out for a drive a couple of times and inspite of the light being on it drives perfect and doesn't see what much more they can do.

This was the retail Manager, there are a couple of bosses above him one we need to speak to that we originally dealt with and he wont be back in work till Tuesday they said. However Motosave have had the car a further week since I made the above post and assume that Mark the guy above this retail guy will already know or the problem will have been solved.

Going to speak with him anyway but I'm not holding my breath. Motosave seem happy that if the car drives ok then it's ok to leave the engine management light on.

I can see me taking this to court now and now looking for advice as to where I go from here now. Should I start a seperate thread on the matter of keep it altogether?

You should check it out with a franchised dealer before court. If they can fix the problem, then you can claim back off Motosave the cost of doing so. If they won't cough up, then go to court. It's always easier to lay a claim for money.

If this should end up with a court claim, we can help you with that and I will move your thread into the legal section. For now, just keep it all in this one.

Wife is going to contact this manager hopefully today/tomorrow. To say that they have done everything they can to fix it and can do no more then I will be suggesting they take it to a dealer to get the car looked at.

As for paying to get the car fixed I am reluctant to do this out of my own pocket at the moment I'm unsure of the costs to do this with only a rough estimate at the moment of £400 plus whatever else the ECU is flashing up in the codes.

If I were to do this which might not even solve the problem with the car I'm reluctant to pay anymore money out myself and letting the court order them to fix the car or pay out costs of what I paid for the car plus recent work done on it that I have now lost out on.

Spoke to the regional manager today,

He's said they have done everything they can dealer coil pack, deal spark plugs and the engine managment is still on but is no longer showing any fault codes and they have said there is nothing more they can do as they don't really have the slightest clue at this point what is wrong with it. with no fault codes coming up they can't find any problems.

He's going to call back in a couple of hours after speaking to the guys at the garage to get a full update. they have offered to refund us the cost of the hire car £400, the cost of the service and the clutch £500 and the cost of the coil pack that didn't work £50 plus £50 extra rounding the cost to £1000

He said that's all they are willing to do and if we want to take the car to a main dealer then we can use that money to do that but they can't do anymore and the garage they sent the car to can't do anymore as they don't know what the problem is with no fault codes showing now they don't know why the light is on either. the Regional Manager said even some main dealer garages don't know their ass from their elbow so they probably wont know what the problem is either.

Not sure where I should go from here now

Just as you posted my wife was on the phone to the regional manager.

They got some top guy in from citroen to come and look at the engine management light as a last attempt to get it to go off. However got a phone call today to say that he didn't know what was wrong with it so Motosave gave us an offer £2,600 what we paid for the car plus the cost of the Hire car of £400 total = £3,000

Wife spoke to me about it and I suggested £3,400 and this would cover the cost of the £400 we paid for the clutch in October. He wasn't happy to pay that much out so I suggested that in August we paid out £125 for a new Exhaust, £400 for the clutch, £100 for the service, £50 for the failed coil pack and the £200 to cover the cost of the MOT we had only just put the car through £875

Which would have brought the bill to £3,875 I was only asking for the cost of the clutch. He tried to say that the car had wear and tear on it since October to March and we pointed out since buying the car in May last year to March this year we had only done 5k miles as bought the car with 47700 miles and only done 52k in it as of today.

Looking on Autotrader and local dealerships trying to find a car with same age and similar milage costs around £3,500-£4,500 and that's not inc the full electric pack that we have which inc parking sensors and all electric windows.

So we agreed a final price of £3,100 and sorting out all the details tomorrow.

I'm still out of pocket but happy with what was offered so going with that.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Xpic--hope it doesn't put you off buying another one. I am on my fourth (all diesels) and would happily buy a new one if they were still manufactured.

My 2008 Xpic will come on the market in summer time. It has all the goodies (VTX) and has covered 48,000mls. I should get £4000 for this and perhaps a little more from an enthusiast as it's Black in colour so quite unique for this age / mileage.

Don't give up on the Xpic as they generally are a good car. My 2008 &2010 both passed MOT recently with no advisories.

We have been looking around for another Picasso so should hopefully have another one by next week. either way will need a car by next week as hiring one for a week while we look around. Seen a few at about £2,800-£3,400

First Xpic was Motability contract. 2nd was what I was done with by Arnold Clark----not told of changes (eloys etc). 3rd I still have but when I got the chance of a 10plate low mileage one I thought I had better take it since they were last to be produced. Traded in Saab for this.

My daughter is on her 2nd Petrol Xpic which is not costing her much for MOT's even although it's 2004. does her fine for running around town etc etc.

The diesels give me the fuel economy I can afford and still manage to tow the caravan.

Well i managed to pick one up for £3,250 07 plate desire with 31k miles, petrol.

I was gutted as jct600 were selling a 58 plate 1.6hdi vtx with full electric pack 25k miles for £3,500 and i missed it by 30 mins as someone had put a deposit down.

• 1 year later...

Car has been playing up at junctions usually slowing down and touching the clutch causing it to stall a couple of times then it purrs like a kitten.

Has been doing this on and off for a while. Wife is a member of the xsara picasso club and they have suggested Idle control valve which even google suggests its that based off others with similar problems.

We went to a couple of garages who have given prices ranging from £140 - £240 the most expensive being the main dealer but they wanted to do a diagnostic on the car because they didn't want to do the work just because we said what the fault was.

Just wondering if anyone else has had it replaced and what the cost should be most guys on the xsara picasso club say it's a 5 mins job to replace it?

its very easy and you can do it yourself with a spanner

you might not even have to replace it at all

9/10 the valve is stuck because of carbon build up

all you need to do is give a squirt of carb cleaner spray.

and pop in back on.

if not as you've pointed too

they are cheap as chips from ebay or a local parts shop.

there are videos on youtube that show you how to change it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...