Time to Switch Supplier?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

as another poster mentioned re smart meters

Scot Power partly blames smart meters for their price increase

Scottish Power has said it is raising its dual fuel prices by an average of 7.8% from 31 March. It blamed smart meters and low carbon energy costs for the rise.

I received an email from Npower advising ....

We're really pleased to be able to share some good news.

You may have heard energy prices are on the rise. We want to reassure you that your prices won't be affected as long as you’re on a fixed energy tariff.

As you're on the Feel Good Fix tariff, your prices won’t go up, but in the future they could come down.

You don’t need to do anything. Your choice gives you the peace of mind that while you’re on this tariff your energy prices won’t increase.

Thank you for being an npower customer

1: Weren't they first to advise that they were increasing their prices

2: If prices are likely to come down.. why are they putting them up?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yep, contradiction in terms. prices are going up.

justified? imo, no.

have a look at the price increases compared to just a couple of years ago. it doesn't correlate.

they advocate fixed tariffs. yep, industry cartel 'fixed'. (a means to justify the increases, which in turn will increase the fixed tariffs. its a fix. :))

who suffers? joe citizen.

• 1 month later...

even robbing hood, a public authority...

'Energy supplier Robin Hood Energy has been accused of 'taking from the poor to give to the rich' after hiking its prices. But directors of the company say they are doing exactly the opposite and are helping the most vulnerable, partially blaming Brexit for the rise....But many have been left shocked after it announced it was putting up some tariffs, by much higher percentages than other suppliers.....'

http://www.nottinghampost.com/why-some-robin-hood-energy-customers-will-see-their-bills-rise/story-30221314-detail/story.html

not forgetting eon..:)

'About 2.5 million E.ON customers will pay an extra £97 a year on energy bills in what consumer groups have branded a “monstrous” and “crippling” blow for householders....'

The E.ON move prompted the government to renew warnings that it will act if the energy market is shown to be working against consumers. “Wherever markets are not working for consumers, this government is prepared to act,” said a spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. “We expect energy companies to treat their customers fairly and continue to be concerned by these price rises which will hit millions of people already paying more than they need to.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/07/eon-customers-to-pay-extra-97-a-year-after-88-price-rise

not forgetting eon..:)

'About 2.5 million E.ON customers will pay an extra £97 a year on energy bills in what consumer groups have branded a “monstrous” and “crippling” blow for householders....'

The E.ON move prompted the government to renew warnings that it will act if the energy market is shown to be working against consumers. “Wherever markets are not working for consumers, this government is prepared to act,” said a spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. “We expect energy companies to treat their customers fairly and continue to be concerned by these price rises which will hit millions of people already paying more than they need to.”'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/07/eon-customers-to-pay-extra-97-a-year-after-88-price-rise

Hello Ford and to confirm, we're increasing our standard variable prices on 26 April 17. Customers on our fixed deals and those with prepayment meters are unaffected by this price change.

Those customers affected by the new prices won't feel the impact if they switch supplier or change to another E.ON tariff within the Price Protection window. This window is open from notification of a price rise (minimum of 30 calendar days before the new prices start) up to 20 working days after the increase date.

For a change of supplier, provided the account is applied for within this window, we'll keep customers on the cheaper prices right up to the supply end date even if this is after the new prices start. If changing to another E.ON tariff, customers need to do this before the window closes. Again, if they do, we'll keep them on the cheaper prices up to the tariff switch date.

In terms of the price increase on 26 April 17, to avoid these new prices, customers should switch to another tariff by 25 May 17 or, if moving to another supplier, the new supplier needs to notify us by 25 May 17 and the switch has to complete within 6 weeks. Customers can switch tariff online through our website or over the phone. For a change of supplier, they have to contact their preferred supplier who'll handle the switch from start to finish.

Hope this is of interest Ford. Please ignore if not.

Malc

Referring back to my post in February -- post 3 - I finally decided to pop information into a comparison site, only to discover that I was already on the cheapest tariff available with.. Npower - my current supplier :lol:

BCOBS

Hello Ford and to confirm, we're increasing our standard variable prices on 26 April 17. Customers on our fixed deals and those with prepayment meters are unaffected by this price change.

Those customers affected by the new prices won't feel the impact if they switch supplier or change to another E.ON tariff within the Price Protection window. This window is open from notification of a price rise (minimum of 30 calendar days before the new prices start) up to 20 working days after the increase date.

For a change of supplier, provided the account is applied for within this window, we'll keep customers on the cheaper prices right up to the supply end date even if this is after the new prices start. If changing to another E.ON tariff, customers need to do this before the window closes. Again, if they do, we'll keep them on the cheaper prices up to the tariff switch date.

In terms of the price increase on 26 April 17, to avoid these new prices, customers should switch to another tariff by 25 May 17 or, if moving to another supplier, the new supplier needs to notify us by 25 May 17 and the switch has to complete within 6 weeks. Customers can switch tariff online through our website or over the phone. For a change of supplier, they have to contact their preferred supplier who'll handle the switch from start to finish.

Hope this is of interest Ford. Please ignore if not.

Malc

cheers for the info.

ooi, you mentioned the code re backbilling on another thread. it showed current suppliers signed up to it.

is it correct then, in your view, that suppliers not subscribed to the code won't be effected by/subject to it, perhaps for eg if a matter re went to ofgem. or do you think that ofgem wld take it into account even if the supplier is not subscribed to it.

Referring back to my post in February -- post 3 - I finally decided to pop information into a comparison site, only to discover that I was already on the cheapest tariff available with.. Npower - my current supplier :lol:

as you're on their current cheapest fixed. check it again when that is to expire, see how their rates will have increased. (unless the gov't intervenes)

ooi, which compare site did you use

cheers for the info.

ooi, you mentioned the code re backbilling on another thread. it showed current suppliers signed up to it.

is it correct then, in your view, that suppliers not subscribed to the code won't be effected by/subject to it, perhaps for eg if a matter re went to ofgem. or do you think that ofgem wld take it into account even if the supplier is not subscribed to it.

Hello Ford and glad the info was of interest.

On the Billing Code I spoke about on another thread in a different board, I can only comment on things to do with E.ON. I can confirm, we've signed up to the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills or what's more commonly known as the Billing Code. This provides protection for customers in certain circumstances where we've failed to bill accurately. Where we're at fault, we cannot charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem was fixed.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't apply where energy has been used and the customer has made no attempt to contact us to arrange payment (sometimes seen when properties change hands); wilfully avoid payment; or don't co-operate with attempts to take meter readings or resolve any queries we might have. This includes denying us access to meters.

This is purely our approach. I can't speak for other suppliers or comment on how the regulator will view what other suppliers do.

Sorry I can't help more with this particular question Ford. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with as happy to do so.

Malc

Hello Ford and glad the info was of interest.

On the Billing Code I spoke about on another thread in a different board, I can only comment on things to do with E.ON. I can confirm, we've signed up to the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills or what's more commonly known as the Billing Code. This provides protection for customers in certain circumstances where we've failed to bill accurately. Where we're at fault, we cannot charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem was fixed.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't apply where energy has been used and the customer has made no attempt to contact us to arrange payment (sometimes seen when properties change hands); wilfully avoid payment; or don't co-operate with attempts to take meter readings or resolve any queries we might have. This includes denying us access to meters.

This is purely our approach. I can't speak for other suppliers or comment on how the regulator will view what other suppliers do.

Sorry I can't help more with this particular question Ford. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with as happy to do so.

Malc

cheers for posting back.

i didn't think that you wld be able to openly comment re a non signatory, or re ofgem practice. but thought it was worth an ask anyway, never know... :)

i do have a q though.

what is eon's policy re 'related' electric meters. eg, do eon cover them. if so, how. as one supply available under eon's existing tariffs. or something different

cheers for posting back.

i didn't think that you wld be able to openly comment re a non signatory, or re ofgem practice. but thought it was worth an ask anyway, never know... :)

i do have a q though.

what is eon's policy re 'related' electric meters. eg, do eon cover them. if so, how. as one supply available under eon's existing tariffs. or something different

Happy to help on anything E.ON related Ford but, as you say, I can't comment on other suppliers or the regulator.

By related electric meters, do you mean multi-rate meters mainly designed for all electric properties with particular types of heating arrangements like storage heaters, under floor heating etc? For example, meter types such as Economy 10, Economy 18, Heatwise etc? To work, these meters are wired in to the electrical circuits at properties. Usually, they have two Meter Point Administration Numbers (MPANs). This is also known as a supply number. It's unique and identifies the electricity supply at individual properties. MPANs can be found on bills. Depending on the individual set up, where related electricity meters are involved, there are usually one or two meters.

If this is what you have in mind, we cover most of them. Certainly the examples above plus others. There might be certain hybrids left over from before the electricity industry was privatised that we would struggle with but not many. We are, though, looking to upgrade customers currently on this type of set up as these meters are becoming increasingly obsolete. In these cases, we're offering to replace affected meters with either the latest Economy 10 (one MPAN and one meter with two rates - peak and off peak) or the traditional Economy 7 or single rate meters. Whichever option best suits a customer's circumstances and usage pattern. There's no charge for this type of job but customers might need some electrical work doing on their heating circuits. Again, this depends on the individual circumstances and any associated costs would be the customer's responsibility.

At the moment, with the related electricity meters we currently supply, we only have the one tariff available. They're generally not shown on the independent comparison sites either. Similarly with the new Economy 10 meters. With us, these also have the one tariff and aren't available through our website. You would need to talk to us about them. Tariffs for our Economy 7 and single rate meters are on our website and the independent comparison sites.

Hope this is what you mean Ford and sorry if I've the wrong end of the stick. Let me know if I have or if you need any more information. Happy to help.

Malc

...where related electricity meters are involved, there are usually one or two meters.

If this is what you have in mind, we cover most of them...

cheers for posting back.

yes. as an eg. 2 domestic meters (where one covers storage heating), 2 mpans, both economy 7, wired 'related' as one supply (currently one standing charge).

wld for eg eon do one or two standing charge re.

with also in mind these threads

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?476053-Scottish-Power-the-Ombudsman-and-multiple-meters!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?474137-Related-Electricity-Meters

cheers for posting back.

yes. as an eg. 2 domestic meters (where one covers storage heating), 2 mpans, both economy 7, wired 'related' as one supply (currently one standing charge).

wld for eg eon do one or two standing charge re.

with also in mind these threads

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?476053-Scottish-Power-the-Ombudsman-and-multiple-meters!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?474137-Related-Electricity-Meters

Hello Ford and sorry for the late reply. Not been around since last week.

The sort of set up you're talking about sounds like what we call a Restricted Hours Tariff or RHT. This is a related supply usually involving two meters and two MPANs. As you say, one will be for electricity needed for heating and hot water coming through dedicated circuits. The other will record the rest of the electricity used (lights, appliances, TV etc). There'll be a time switch that automatically moves between the two meters at set times to take advantage of the cheaper off peak prices.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, these metering set ups are usually found in all electric properties with specific types of heating arrangement. Here, one meter will be wired in to the heating circuits. In these circumstances, two meters/two MPANs, we'll have two daily standing charges.

As I mentioned previously, there are certain hybrids leftover from previous times that differ a little but, in general, related RHT metering will involve two daily standing charges.

Sorry if this is a bit vague Ford but hope it's of interest.

Malc

cheers for posting back. not vague at all, and of interest. and seems about right re the set up, apart from a time switch moving between. (if i have understood things correctly :))

as i mentioned, current recent supplier do (and previous did) only one standing charge as they state it is deemed one supply despite the two meters.

maybe then it is re a 'certain hybrid leftover from previous times that differ a little'

or maybe, suppliers now just want to do 2 standing charges to get more money (as some other suppliers say the same ie 2 standings). on top of the increased rates. :)

Glad it was of interest Ford.

I should've mentioned, time switches vary depending on the related metering set up in question. The type I was talking about are usually found on the older set ups where there's a separate meter that exclusively registers usage for heating and hot water during the off peak times. On these, the time switch is usually a separate piece of kit attached to the meter board. On later arrangements, there's a mechanism built in to the meters that controls switching between peak and off peak times.

As I mentioned in post #17 above, we're looking to replace a lot of these older meters. The new ones have one meter and one MPAN and, as such, only the one daily standing charge. With us, it's only the older RHT meters that still have two daily standing charges.

Hope this helps.

Malc

there's a mechanism built in to the meters that controls switching between peak and off peak times.

that seems to be the eg.

cheers for posting back.

ooi. how wld a new single meter cover that scenario re separate heating/water whilst also covering other usage.

am thinking that it wld then just 'add on' the heating/water times (which are off peak) on top of the other off peak usage. ie combine?

as you're on their current cheapest fixed. check it again when that is to expire, see how their rates will have increased. (unless the gov't intervenes)

ooi, which compare site did you use

Sorry, missed this question, Ford.. it was uSwitch :)

BCOBS

that seems to be the eg.

cheers for posting back.

ooi. how wld a new single meter cover that scenario re separate heating/water whilst also covering other usage.

am thinking that it wld then just 'add on' the heating/water times (which are off peak) on top of the other off peak usage. ie combine?

Hello Ford and hope you're enjoying the good weather.

By single meter, I'm assuming you mean the new two rate Economy 10 meters? These record all usage as peak and off peak regardless of whether it's for heating or general stuff like household appliances, lights etc. They're different from the older three rate meters, in that, these older models recorded heating and hot water through the dedicated circuits on a separate register. With the new two rates, all electricity used during the ten off peak hours is charged at the lower prices.

Hope this explains.

Malc