• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BrightHouse cheque received today after complaint advice needed please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I'm sorry to bother you all but I'm just looking for some help with the sharks brighthouse.

I am ashamed to say it but I've been a customer with brighthouse for 10 years and spent well over £30k in that time ��

I'm now in a much better financial situation than I was all them years ago and now have credit cards etc so I'm happy to say I'll never need brighthouse ever again thank god.

My issues are I took out my last 2 agreements in July 2014 for a cooker and a very large fridge and freezer

I'm having nothing but issues with getting a correct early settlement figure as different people in store are saying different amounts

I made a complaint to head office to get it all in writing for them to just get the store manager to call me even though I asked not to deal with the store anymore,

I've had a bit of a barney with the manager as he was just not at all helpful and stating it's what the computer states is correct and given me the below early settlement figures

can someone confirm if they look correct as they seem extremely high considering the amount of interest I'm being charged

I have 24 weeks remaining on 2 x 156 week agreements

this is what the manager has stated today is remaining and the early settlement

Fridge & Freezer purchase price £1488.14 plus 64.7% per annum interest at £18.30 a week

total amount £2854.80 ��

The Amount left owing today is £439.20 and the early settlement amount issued today is £409.57 saving £29.63 interest ???

Cooker purchase price £622.15 plus interest at 64.7% per annum Total amount £1193.40 at £7.65 a week for 156 weeks ��

Amount left owing today is £183.60 yet the early settlement figure issued today is £171.43 a £12.17 saving on interest

To me them savings are absolutely disgusting considering I'm paying it off 6 months early

Can anyone confirm that they are in fact correct ?

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice

Thank you

David

Hi David,

Thank you for getting in touch, I would like the opportunity to look into this further for you however I do require further information. Can you please contact our head office on 0800526069 or alternatively email us at [email protected] with your date of birth, post code, full name and local store quoting your CAG reference number ( 317224 ) in the subject box.

Regards

Rahul (Web Relations Team)

Be aware that you will very likely be fobbed off by BH on here and in response to your email. Please let us know what they say as they seem to be nothing more than mostly a talking shop on here.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I spoke to area manager and was told that the Apr and agreements are very complicated and difficult to explain I cannot wait to come away from them. Good luck and yes would like to know how you get on.

Theyre not difficult. They just dont want you to find out about the charges, interest on charges, interest on all that etc etc . People who use BH never question what theyre told to pay.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi David,

I can confirm that we will write you a formal letter explaining all the information you have provided within your email to us :). If you do have further questions please do not hesitate to contact us here at head office and we will be willing to help you.

Kind Regards

Rahul (Web Relations Team)

Hello Rahul

sorry to ask

in the email I sent I stated that I wouldn't be talking on the phone anymore to brighthouse regarding my complaint and that I just wanted everything in writing along with The final response from brighthouse so I can seek help from the financial ombudsman service

today I've had a missed call and message from brighthouse with a Watford number and asking me to call customer relations ???

Could you please pass on the message again that I will not be dealing with them on the phone and everything needs to be in writing please thank you

UPDATE

I received a final response letter today off brighthouse

they have completely ignored most of my complaint

just wrote a load of rubbish about the early settlement figure

I'm now going to the financial ombudsman service regarding everything and all my other issues and for anyone even thinking about using brighthouse please don't

[...] and for anyone even thinking about using brighthouse please don't

Agreed. A much more equitable approach would be to start saving a few pounds each week with a credit union (see: http://www.findyourcreditunion.co.uk/find-your-credit-union/ for one locally). Once a track record of regular saving has been established, a CU is able to offer loans at a much more attractive rate of interest if one is needed. That said, it is often better to save for something and then have the ability to negotiate a lower price for paying with cash.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 11 months later...

Hello good afternoon everyone

I’m looking for some help please with regards to BrightHouse.

I was a customer for around 13 years in total and I’m ashamed to say spent in excess of £35k in total ��

I finished paying everything off in April last year and it was the happiest day of my life

in October 2017 I see the reports of BrightHouse being ordered to repay a certain amount of money back to its customers for not doing the correct financial checks.

I was very excited because I believe I was never financially checked in the correct way because I was classed as a top customer never missing payments and spending so much on items they never actually checked that I could afford anything

in truth we did struggle with the weekly payments not that they cared.

It got to a stage that the manager would come to my house to sell me stuff and for me to simply sign paperwork

I called customer services up in November 2017 and asked was I entitled to any refund to be told £0

even though I took out 3 large items in July 2014

I then went onto to make a complaint and state everything as I’ve stated above etc etc.

I received a letter in December saying they were still investigating my complaint

today completely out of the blue I had a BrightHouse letter that had to be signed for.

Upon opening the letter it simply says please find a cheque for over £4K and a letter will follow shortly regarding my complaint.

My question simply is

if I cash this cheque before I receive the letter will I still be able to take it further with the financial ombudsman service ?

Or is it simply if I cash the cheque I accept their decision and that’s the end of it ?

Also has anyone had this kind of refund and claimed further ?

thanks again and sorry for the long post

If you cans the cheque - Its considered you accepting the resolution.

Plus first time i have seen a refund from BH for this amount.

Just because you signed for the letter does NOT mean you accept their response to your complaint.

£4k is a lot of money back though...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

old and new threads merged.

this is a good result.

unless the letter states this is in full and final settlement, then you are safe to cash it.

irresponsible lending and brighthouse....

now that is a massive can of worms we've not ever thought about...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

old and new threads merged.

this is a good result.

unless the letter states this is in full and final settlement, then you are safe to cash it.

irresponsible lending and brighthouse....

now that is a massive can of worms we've not ever thought about...

The letter simply says

In relation to your complaint referenced above please find a cheque for £4035.76

Please refer to your Fiinal Response letter dated the 30/01/2018

Yours sincerely

Brighthouse

wait for the letter.

it might only be for one of the accounts

leaving the rest open for IR claims??

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Quick update

= No letter arrived today

I contacted customer relations and they stated the escalations department are the ones that had been dealing with my complaint and the refund is for their redress program

the one I called about in October to be told I wasn’t entitled to anything ������

which is why I made the complaint due to taking out 3 items in July 2014.

They apparently didn’t have the figures to issue me and stated it also won’t tell me in the letter so I’m a little confused on how I’m supposed to know what’s what.

What I have done this afternoon is I’ve sent off a SARlink3.gif request to Brighthouse with a £10 cheque asking for all my information including credit agreements and all correspondence and also the proof of what affordability checks they have completed on me.

I have looked at my credit report today on noodle

there is still 17 settled accounts from them on my closed section with partial account numbers

will have to see exactly what they have to say about all the other items

because they never completed any affordability checks on me what so ever

other than asking for payslips on the very odd occasion

never once asking about outgoings or doing credit checks etc

had they done them they would never had lent to me due to my financial situation

hence the reason for using Brighthouse in the first place.

I will say though that around 3 years ago I tried to order a 3 piece suite and that was the only time in all them years they did actually do the affordability checks

I walked away because I wasn’t used to the scrutiny of the young woman asking for and then dissecting my bank statements

asking about the lottery payments and gambling etc along with other stuff

I actually cancelled the application half way through and walked out and never ordered from them ever again which was a blessing in the end.

Has anyone ever done the SAR request to Brighthouse

just looking to see what I can expect to receive back from them in terms of what I’ve requested ?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

they must supply all of your requirements

they could wriggle if they are outside of 6yrs, but I doubt they will.

dx

and they