13% rise in personal insolvency as 'tide turns' for household finances

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2599 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Figures from the Insolvency Service show 90,930 personal insolvencies were recorded across England and Wales, rising 13.1% from 2015.

It is the first time since 2010 that the number of people entering insolvency has increased year-on-year.

http://www.expressandstar.com/business/uk-money/2017/01/27/figures-show-steep-rise-in-recorded-personal-insolvencies/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Mark Sands, a personal insolvency partner at RSM, said: "In 2015 we saw the lowest levels of personal insolvency in over a decade, but the latest figures for 2016 show that the tide has now turned.

"Despite record low interest rates and high employment levels during the year, many more people found that they could no longer keep on top of their debts."

Recent Bank of England figures have shown strong rises in consumer credit, prompting concerns from charities that people could be at risk of over-stretching their borrowing.

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/business/uk-money/2017/01/27/figures-show-steep-rise-in-recorded-personal-insolvencies/#zXLG05Xl3YhbT0mf.99

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is current government policy to see an increase in personal/household debt. George Osborne when he was chancellor factored in a large increase in debts and banks were encouraged to loan more money. Philip Hammond has continued this policy. This is why the UK is doing better than other economies. Consumer spending on credit proping up retail sector. Credit card debts are at record high.

If there is another financial shock, UK banks will be in trouble again and will need another bail out.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is current government policy to see an increase in personal/household debt. George Osborne when he was chancellor factored in a large increase in debts and banks were encouraged to loan more money. Philip Hammond has continued this policy. This is why the UK is doing better than other economies. Consumer spending on credit proping up retail sector. Credit card debts are at record high.

If there is another financial shock, UK banks will be in trouble again and will need another bail out.

I think consumers are daft to keep spending whilst there is so much uncertainty for the economy. Councils are almost certainly going to increase Council Tax - we are not sure if employment is going to be secure. It will only need for the BoE to increase interest rates and a lot more people will be in trouble.

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any figures for Scotland ? re insolvencies.

Works slightly different in Scotland Tom

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/insolvency/content/172

http://www.scotlandstowns.org/scottish_towns_power_big_improvement_in_personal_insolvencies

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

To save bank "bail outs" and save taxpayers money there has been devised "bail ins". There has been a law passed both sides of the Atlantic where if banks get into trouble they can bail themselves out using depositors funds. When people put their money into the banks it gets put on a loan ledger where the bank has "borrowed" your money so when in trouble you become a creditor just like in a bankruptcy and the "loan" (your cash) would not be paid back.

Interesting, thanks for that, I had missed it :) A quick search " uk bank bail in law " produced this,

http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/grand-theft-auto-uk-eu-bank-depositor-bail-regime-implemented/

One bit jumped out, " This is an admission by the British government that the £85,000 deposit guarantee scheme is flawed and that the British depositors protection promise is simply a sound bite and not financially supported. "

Time to go back to a cash society ?

Interesting, thanks for that, I had missed it :) A quick search " uk bank bail in law " produced this,

http://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/grand-theft-auto-uk-eu-bank-depositor-bail-regime-implemented/

One bit jumped out, " This is an admission by the British government that the £85,000 deposit guarantee scheme is flawed and that the British depositors protection promise is simply a sound bite and not financially supported. "

Time to go back to a cash society ?

Talking about cash, try "abolition of cash" on Google. Money Week "The Indian government has removed from currency 1000 and 500 Rupee notes and put a limit on ATMs of 2000 Rupees

Chase Manhatten, in half of their branches they neither accept or pay out cash and car loans, credit card bills and mortgages cannot be paid in cash,

David Cameron has told Police that if anyone is carrying over £1000 they demand to know where the cash has come from and if it cannot be verified they will confiscate it (Professional Builder)

Bank Of England hasn't printed any £50 since 2015

In France and Spain it is illegal to pay a bill in cash over 1000 Euro's or there is a fine of 25% and 40% (respectively) of the value of the bill. (Guardian of Telegraph)

I have had a letter from Barclay's that if I owe the HMRC or any other authority then they can demand Barclays take it from the account. What I do owe the HMRC and what they think I owe are two different things! People really do need to take notice of what is going on.

and the call us 'conspiracy theorists' ?

thanks for the heads up about HMRC, I am not with barclays, but........ working tax credit are after me, because concentrix put a 'note' on my file, to say I was living with someone ? I'm not - they just made it up ! is that criminal fraud?

I know there has been a lot of trouble with Concentrix. My daughter had a demand back for tax credits and she got out of it, never paid it back. I think there was a rule about if it was their mistake it made a difference but I don't know exactly what it was.

I make it a rule not to deal with third parties nor pass their "security" as I have no contract with them (contract law). beyond that I don't know the answer. In a dispute I always ask for full accounting and terms and conditions, what laws are they using. Do everything in writing. I sign everything "without prejudice" and write that partially overlapping the signature. That means you can't be held liable for anything said if they don't fully disclose everything. Put the onus of proof on them. HMRC books are in such a mess they don't know what they are doing and they find it difficult when you don't speak to third parties.