New Road causing issues with my property, can I claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A new relief road has been built at the end of my back garden due to a town centre improvement scheme and this has caused more issues than I expected. Is there anything I can do?

The distance between my fence and the road is just a pavement it is that close, no boarders or anything. I do have a fairly longish garden but its still too close for comfort to me, if a car or van crashed into my fence its a worry.

I thought they were going to plant trees at least along the end of the gardens but it has not happened and the road carries big lorries, a bus route, vans, cars in fact all vehicles. I had hoped that trees would block out some of the noise and pollution but the noise actually travels through the ground so nothing is going to stop that. The heavy vehicles travel overnight too plus its not nice having lorry and van drivers going by with full view of my garden and through my windows. The bus passengers also can see so my privacy has been completely taken away.

They put up a 2 metre fence but it should have been much taller. Before the work started I got lots of solicitors letters asking to work on my behalf for compensation but I wanted to see how things panned out after the work was done plus I was a bit wary of if it was the right way to go about things so I left it.

Before the road was built it was tranquil, it was first allotments then part was changed to a car park which was very rarely used because no one wanted to pay. Its completely changed the house and I've been here 28 years. What can I do and how do I go about doing it?

I hope this has been posted in the right place

I don't understand what you mean by that? Of course its not going to be dug up and put somewhere else as you put it, confused by your comment.

Are you saying I shouldn't expect financial compensation just because its already there? and if so why not?

Firstly, there were many complaints and concerns prior to the road being built but nothing was going to stop the powers that be.

Since its been built I realise that this definitely would have an impact if ever the house was to be sold. The noise, the pollution, the privacy. I don't want to have to move. I would wish for them to at least plant some trees at the end of my garden as there is no room for any behind the fence and plant trees beyond the fence of my neighbours as their gardens aren't as long as mine and there is room the other side next to the road. The trees would help towards the pollution, perhaps a little towards the noise and definitely the privacy

I have just contacted the project manager and it seems there is only going to be 1 tree planted and its not really going to have an effect on my property, I asked if they could plant something in my garden to screen some of it because there is no room the other side and he says they haven't got the funding for that, hes sending me a plan to show where the 1 tree will be but its not going to improve on my privacy, noise or pollution. I mentioned the noise even traveling through the ground and he said nothing at all, I just need to know what I can do about this

Best way forward is to speak to your neighbours about the issues and put together a letter to send to your local MP, with a copy to your local councillor as well.

I don't think you will get anywhere legally, as they will have gone through all of the relevant planning application rules, considering any legal obligations to nearby home owners.

By writing to your local MP and councillor as a group of people, at least you will get a proper response, that you can take forward as a campaign if necessary.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks I will ask them. Really they couldn't judge the noise until after the road is built properly I would think because its more than I expected. I never expected a bus route or the amount of huge lorries going down and even throughout the night.

Before it was built I just though the trees would hold back a lot of the pollution and noise and never thought it would travel through the ground. At least 3 houses that I know of that also back onto the new road are rental properties and I'm wondering if they are bothering to do anything

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I'm sorry to sound harsh but you appear from you posts to have made a lot of assumptions (mostly ill informed) through the process without actually bothering to find out facts, and now the horse has bolted you wish to complain. the road plan went through planning without you objecting, realisticly you are going to have to live with it, if you think some trees will help why not plant your own in the garden.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

been hearing from Mr know all about compensation? (after thought you) ? only agreed if ever at planning stage!?

When my local council is dealing with these issues, they issue letters to all residents advising of what is being planned, what the rules are for what is being done and invites people to visit a website for full details or to visi their local libaries where they have an exhibit. Residents are invited to submit their objections or queries to the council by a given date.

I had similar when a footpath was proposed near to my house border. I wrote to the council with questions about what was being proposed as did other neighbours. The council then amended their proposed scheme slightly.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Well you might call it assumptions and without bothering to find out the facts but that's why I'm here.

I explained I did not want to complain before it was done because I didn't know myself how it would affect me, I think I was probably a bit naïve as to just how much of an impact this was going to have on my property. If it is true that you have to put all complaints in at planning stage I did not know but l I still struggle to understand why if after the works you cant complain about the excessive noise which wasn't expected. The trees, well they were in the plan originally so this is a fair objection. Yes I could plant my own but I wouldn't be doing that if the road wasn't there or they had planted trees as expected. They are saying they ran out of funding.

I didn't come here for an argument and I'm not just out to get compensation for the sake of it, my main concern is getting back the privacy, trying to mask out some of the noise and pollution and claiming for any loss in the value of my home. I did not know you had to do these things at planning stage, to me you cant tell the impact till its finished

If the value of my house is affected surely I should be compensated

Register a complaint as suggested. You always have to enter into communications first anyway, as they won't ever issue compensation unless you took them to court and won. You therefore need to gather evidence.

if the trees were in the final approved plans that you do have something to complain over, though as you have already mentioned this will only resolve heard noise and the visual aspect, though be aware they will not plant fully grown trees so they will need to grow to provide you with the privacy you hope for. In regard to the vibration issue, all I can say is they you will have to get use to it; the relief road is designed to relive other roads of their traffic and that is what you have got, the time to appeal that has passed as the information council studies, plans etc were available, complain by all means but you may not get far.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

OK, they have put up a 2m fence, this is the largest allowed so you wont get any change there. Now the best you can hope for is better landscaping and noise attenuation and privacy by planting more trees. You will need to measure the noise levels at different times of day from different places, you may find the road a statutory nuisance and then they will have to try something such as the tree screen or dig the road up and use a different surface material..

You will need to measue th noise as dBa and dBb plus raw sound. the attenuated sound readings have a bias towards high or low frequencies and are more relevant.