should i reject or request repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

New to this and please excuse what is no doubt my own naivety thats got me in this situation.

Last week, I concluded my search for a new car, Volvo V50 SE Lux 2008. Lovely car, tidy inside and had a very high spec. The own of the local dealer I bought it from may have spun me a bit of a yarn....

The car had a high level of road noise which he said was down to the tyre tread being a bit low. This seemed fair as it is a problem on these vehicles. I changed the to front tyres at £90 each and this made no difference to the noise at all.

I knew also that front breaks were due soon hence I knocked his price down to cater for this. I have put new discs and pads on the car and that has made no difference. £170 for that.

The next possibility is that it is the wheel bearings that need replacing which will be another £400. If it is not the wheel bearing then it could possibly be a gearbox problem which will cost a fortune.

The car is otherwise perfect and I love it so I am inclined to replace the wheel bearings but if it turns out to be something else can I still reject the car and am I in a position to also claim back the cost of the above bearings, brakes and tyres?

When I test drove the car, the seller said that when it went for MOT, "the mechanics had given it a thorough check over and they assured me the road noise was simply tyre related."

Any thoughts or tips would be gratefully received.

It's up to you, but frankly it sounds to me is if you're getting caught up in a spiralling trap of expenditure.

At some point you may decide to reject the car – which within 30 days you are entitled to do – but then you will have the very complicated situation of getting the refund but also trying to claim back the money for all the improvements you have made.

You are already exhibiting a series of wrong judgements in ascertaining the cause of the problem. I think that your interest will be best served by calling a halt to it now.

You need to be methodical in getting to the root cause of the issue.

Essentially, from your post you have said that you have road noise.

The brakes will have no effect on this unless you are actually using them. So presume you can rule this out.

You haven't described the noise as to whether it's a pitch noise, i.e. changes with speed, is constant, changes with gear selection etc.

So here is a basic guide.

If the pitch of the noise doesn't change irrespective of the road surface you are on then the likelihood it's wheel bearing related. If the noise changes depending on gear selected at the same speed then it's pointing towards gearbox/drivetrain. This is at constant speed by the way.

If you have changed tyres like for like then there could be a an issue with the tyres. Could do with the mileage of the car as this is probably a car with a design known as EuCD and if over 60K miles will suffer from wheel bearing issues, lower control arm and upper suspension bearing.

You need to be more succinct in the description of noise.