Splitting TV sigal to 2 TV's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning.

I have what may be a simple issue but it is confusing the hell out of me.

Previously, I had two HD Tv's (lounge/bedroom) connected by a one input, two output HDMI splitter (powered) and this worked fine.

Recently I have managed to save enough to purchase a 4K TV (manufacturer refurbished)for my lounge and this is where my problems started. Whenever I put HD content on my 4K TV, the signal will not go to my other TV.

I assumed it was something to do with the splitter so I bought a 4K splitter but things are the same.

I have standard HDMI cables and one is 7.5m long and I never had a problem before. The splitter I bought said it would be OK for lengths of up to 10m so what do I do?

Buy new HDMI cable with 4K capability or something else?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Morning.

I have what may be a simple issue but it is confusing the hell out of me.

Previously, I had two HD Tv's (lounge/bedroom) connected by a one input, two output HDMI splitter (powered) and this worked fine.

Recently I have managed to save enough to purchase a 4K TV (manufacturer refurbished)for my lounge and this is where my problems started. Whenever I put HD content on my 4K TV, the signal will not go to my other TV.

I assumed it was something to do with the splitter so I bought a 4K splitter but things are the same.

I have standard HDMI cables and one is 7.5m long and I never had a problem before. The splitter I bought said it would be OK for lengths of up to 10m so what do I do?

Buy new HDMI cable with 4K capability or something else?

So what happens when the 4k TV cable is not attached ? Does the other TV then work normally ?

If so, is this because the 4k TV would be taking up full capacity from the source of the signal ? Because the 4k TV is so demanding on the output of your Skybox or other signal source, it is not offering anything to the other TV. If it works fine on non HD output, then it must be the way this 4k TV is draining. It is a bit like having lots of devices connected to a battery. If you have one device linked first that is more demanding on the power, other devices willstruggle to work.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'm wondering if the newer TV invokes HDCP (a form of copy prevention), and this then stops the second device receiving an unencoded signal?

It may not be the leads or splitter at fault.

I'm not saying this is the problem (I don't know enough about HDCP to be sure it is or it isn't) but it might be worth looking into before buying any more leads / splitters!

Is your source just a normal freeview signal SS ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the responses so far.

For info. My Sky+ box is connected to the splitter and prior to buying the new TV, all content (SD + HD) was on both screens at the same time with no issues. I can control the Sky box from my bedroom via a VP eye device.

Since the changeover, the bedroom TV will not show any HD content at all, whether the lounge TV is on or off. It may be that the TV that now resides in my bedroom is too big for the cable to cope with HD signals. Embarassing moment here. It's a man thing!

The TV in my bedroom is a 47", the one in my lounge is a 55" and the original TV (that is now up for sale) in my bedroom was a 42". Do you think I am overcompensating for something :madgrin:

It may be just a case that the HDMI cable needs to be replaced with a better one.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

unplug the 4k TV HDMI cable

bet it works on the other TV now..

the 4k tv will be telling the sky+ box to switch to a higher resolution even when in std by mode

you cant tell the sky+ box to output both low and hi resolution...

yo need to turn off auto hdmi

press the sky remote services button

goto settings

adjust the settings of hd res/hdmi control

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

unplug the 4k TV HDMI cable

bet it works on the other TV now..

Nope! I did that and still no picture on the bedroom TV

the 4k tv will be telling the sky+ box to switch to a higher resolution even when in std by mode

you cant tell the sky+ box to output both low and hi resolution...

yo need to turn off auto hdmi

Tried that and it cut off all signal to the second TV. It only works when I have the setting on automatic but it is only SD, not HD

press the sky remote services button

goto settings

adjust the settings of hd res/hdmi control

Thanks for the advice DX. Just a shame nothing worked.

I tried various settings to no avail. Is it worth just buying a new HDMI cable that specifically says '4K' or 'UHD' I have seen various prices on the web and I'm not going to go into the huge price range. (Can't afford it now)

HDMI cable is an HDMI cable!!

same con as your need a digital aerial to get freeview..no such thing!!

you may get issues with multiple TVs and sky+ boxes ‘not talking to each other’, which can necessitate pulling cables in and out and rebooting several times to get things going properly

go one step at a time

get the TV that wont work going properly on its own

then connect the additional TV

you might also find that you need to disable HDMI ARC if that 2nd tv then re introduces the problem

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I would have thought that if your sky box is set to output 4k signal then its nothing to do with which hdmi cables you have, more that the bedroom tv cannot display a 4k signal if its only HD.

This being the case, the only 2 options you have would be to put a 4k tv in the bedroom (expensive option) or to have sky multiroom and have a second box in the bedroom. Costs about a tenner a month i think.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

HDMI cable is an HDMI cable!!

It would seem that there is a difference. My old HDMI cable must have been dead cheap as I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N1G46CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't pay the price shown ( benefits of being a member of VIPON). I actually paid £8.99.

As soon as I plugged it in, everything works as it should. One happy HD watching bunny :-)

Very very early leads were not full HDMI

Much like early scart leads

Sorry you must have a very old lead then

Well done!!

and they

Silverfox, does your telly still take coins :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Silverfox, does your telly still take coins :)

Ahem! Just how old do you think I am :lol:

I did used to fit meters to TVs in my youth working with a company called Telebank (part of Granada)

I can't remember how much I paid for the original HDMI cable but I am sure it was cheap (just like me) so that would explain why I got nothing when in HD mode. All I have to do now is route the new cable around the wall and through into the bedroom which means moving most of my furniture out of the way as the cable will be fitted in the existing trunking :|