Your thoughts , Why it is important to generate your credit file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just found out something worrying via the Credit reference agency's and just wanted to see what other peoples views are on this matter, if any.

In my opinion this is worrying because I don't think many people know that information that may be needed in the future is lost in the past If you the public do not act. let me explain, Recently I asked Experian If I could see my credit file for the whole month of September 2009 as I believed that a certain company had been doing some wrong things to my credit files and I needed to prove that they were unlawfully readjusting a default date, a tactic they do all the time to lengthen the time the default is on your credit file. Upon asking for this information I was shocked to be told that because I myself haven't generated the file on that specific date ( logging into Experian and having a look) that there is no records to show me, that they just do not exist.

Which basically means that if you don't look at your credit file you will never be able to see what's been going on with your file in the future. I wonder if company's get to know who and who doesn't generate their file. Any thoughts...

BB a4v

I have just found out something worrying via the Credit reference agency's and just wanted to see what other peoples views are on this matter, if any.

In my opinion this is worrying because I don't think many people know that information that may be needed in the future is lost in the past If you the public do not act. let me explain, Recently I asked Experian If I could see my credit file for the whole month of September 2009 as I believed that a certain company had been doing some wrong things to my credit files and I needed to prove that they were unlawfully readjusting a default date, a tactic they do all the time to lengthen the time the default is on your credit file. Upon asking for this information I was shocked to be told that because I myself haven't generated the file on that specific date ( logging into Experian and having a look) that there is no records to show me, that they just do not exist.

Which basically means that if you don't look at your credit file you will never be able to see what's been going on with your file in the future. I wonder if company's get to know who and who doesn't generate their file. Any thoughts...

BB a4v

Think Experian have not given you factual information. Experian the same as any other data controller are responsible under the Data Protection Act and if you sent them a subject access request, then they have to provide all data in your name that they have handled. Even if a creditor adjusted the default information on your file, the previous data record will still be held on Experians systems. The Experian customer service staff might not be able to view it on a live screen, but Experian IT can print off all the data ever held on your file.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yeah I thought that myself that under a sars they will have to provide this information , however their words exactly were ''if I didn't log in and generate it myself then there's no file on the system for that date to show me, which obviously rang the alarm bells for many reasons. I'm still trying to get it and still get the same answer that no file exists. They pulling a fast one ?

Yeah I thought that myself that under a sars they will have to provide this information , however their words exactly were ''if I didn't log in and generate it myself then there's no file on the system for that date to show me, which obviously rang the alarm bells for many reasons. I'm still trying to get it and still get the same answer that no file exists. They pulling a fast one ?

So, if that is the case, they never processed any data before x date in your name.

I presume that they mean you have had a log on with Experian from a certain date in 2009, when you became their client. But the log on was purely to access data that Experian were already processing.

You could call the ICO to raise a question as to whether you are entitied to receive all data from credit reference agencies that they have ever processed and not just from the date you signed up to their service. To me the CRA has two roles. They act for financial services companies and others to collate UK citizens credit records, but they also have a responsibility to data subjects (all UK citizens) they process data about.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think the OP is asking for something different to what you percieve UB, however the OP has gone about things the wrong way and that is hampering his request response.

If you ask for a copy of your file and pay the £2 fee you gat a copy of the CURRENT file, which will have all the info going back over the reporting period of 6 years. All the stuff that has dropped off wont be visible.

If the OP asks for ALL of the personal data they hold under a subject access request along with the tenner fee then they are obliged to send everything, even the out of date stuff as it is his data. However, if he does that request he shoudl also say something like "in particular the files and data relating to 2009 and anything placed there by xxxxx". That makes then have to actually look for the data and then say why they still dont have it if it was deleted as part of the DPA is the proper storing and disposal of such info so they arent supposed to just delete things that are over 6 years old willy-nilly. If he then finds that an entry that is no longer there has impinged upon things more recently than that erroneous entry thy will ahve to answer to the ICO regarding the fairness of the processing of that data etc.